Which is better : Guangzhou or Xiamen ?

Hi I am thinking about moving to China. Can anyonel recommend which is better Guangzhou or Xiamen? I don't have a driving license, are taxis expensive there? Thank you for your help

@brookesclaudia32

hello,

Please note that I have created this new thread on the China forum so that members can share some feedback with you.

All the best

Bhavna

@brookesclaudia32

That's really a good question. It all depends: Guangzhou is the third largest city in China, so as you may imagine, it is busy, crowded, with better paid and has more job opportunities. You can basically find everything there. Xiamen on the other hand, is a second tier coastal city with great landscape and a laid back lifestyle. Lower pay comparing to Guangzhou, living costs are close tho as Xiamen is a top tourism city of the country. Guangzhou probably has a bigger foreigner community because of the population size. Both cities, however, have great food and similar weather. At the end of the day, it's all about what lifestyle you are more into:) Hope this helps.

I like Hefei. Hefei used to be a small city. Now it is the place for expats to go and it's starting to become like Shenzhen now.

I taught English in Xiamen in 2019, and loved it. I guess it depends where exactly you situate, but I was near a beach & a mountain, and had a great time (til Covid shut it down). You've got ferry access to Taiwan there as well. I've only visited Guangzhou, I'm sure it has its pros & cons...and everyone's experience differs everywhere of course...