Immigrating to Italy late 2024 or 2025

Not sure of the time frame, I'm David and I want to leave from North Carolina, using Brown Immigration, make my way to Lido, ITALY and live there.    I need certain things like International Health Insurance, Passport, Long Stay form and visit to Embassy, and Ill do that through my lawyers, and proof of income, which I can easily provide.   Can anyone whatsoever with experience tell me how to go about this, especially the RIP OFF INSURANCE PART.

I use Cigna Ins. They were reasonably priced & had really great customer service. Your plan has to cover emergencies & repatriation to be accepted. I just went with their silver package & I had no problems.

I think you might want to create a “to do” list in priority mode.

Not knowIng your age, and purpose for wanting to live in Italy…start with US passport, get one.

Look at Italian Consulate Website for your location. It tells you what type of Visa will be right for you. You mention Long Term form, ok, but what type of Visa do you want? You can print everything from the site.

Are you a person retired: Elective Visa perhaps?

Are you going to work? It advises what to do and what you need, like a job:)

Get your bank and tax documents from the US in order…you'll need to present then. Accountant and Banker letters as well-

Do you have passive income, learn what that means and be able to demonstrate it. Pension, SS, dividends?

There is a certain amount required,  approximately 32000€  Not huge but must be passive. Remember assuming you're not a millionaire, it does not matter how much cash you have in the US…its all about having regular income, passive, or if you are a business owner, that income and historical financial records-you need to produce.

The health insurance is not that complicated. Cigna, Aetna are good places to start. It will be cheaper than US. Frankly the least of your gathering needs. The insurance company will issue the binder and certification letter to you. BUY a loose Leaf!

The Italian Consulate Website will tell you what your required coverage needs to be. Depending on your age the cost isn't usually a deal breaker.

You need a lease or deed for your Italian residence  to show at your Visa appointment. There is no coming to Italy and apartment hunting after the Visa Appointment.

Learn about types of leases or property purchase. Get an Italian Realtor. Have you looked at Idealista?

Be sure you have a lawyer in Italy, best tip I can offer.

Planning on driving? You better check it out. You can drive on your US license x 12 months. You can lease or rent a car…advise AAA and getting a membership and International Drivers license. Do not buy a car. Do not enter a long term lease right away.

Now, hang on, after 12 months, no driving for you, without an Italian drivers license. Do you speak Italian? The test is in Italian, required classes in Italian, and roadtest with an Italian speaker. IF you pass you will be consIdered a NEW DRIVER for 10 years. That means the vehicle you choose will be limited horse power FIAT, but cheap insurance going thru a company dealing with expats.

Find out if you need to purchase one way air ticket, or return for your Visa need…Have that itinerary and receipt. Before your appointment decide on your departure date. Have that itinerary and receipt for the appointment. They will ask when your leaving for Italy to create the Visa which will be bound to your passport.

If you haven't guessed my husband and I live in Florence. We arrived in January. We have a terrific lawyer here. Still there are surprises. IF you are going to make the move, get over to Lido and get a place…you need these documents for the Visa appt. Timing is everything. We rented our apartment in Oct.23. The lease started Jan 1. My husband went to Italy in Oct. to complete the task. Our Visa appointment was early Nov. We got the Visa 4 days after our appointment by mail. We left the US on 1/3.

So, passport, time line, health insurance, lease or deed-you say your lawyer will do the finance docs, so boca lupo. Its worth it:)