Buying a car in Bulgaria

Hi everyone, I live here in bulgaria with a residency, im buying a car that has been imported. It is about an hour from where I live. I understand I have to go to KAT, but what is the procedure? Can I drive the car to KAT in my area without plates? Is that legal?

Any advice would be helpful 😀

Thanks so much!

Holly

@Holly1

Sounds a bit scary. :-) Does it really have no plates? Not the foreign plate or some kind of dealer/export plate?

If you're buying from a dealer, I'm surprised they're not taking care of the registration issue, or at least advising you on how to do it.

@Holly1

I bought a 4x4 from a "dealer" in November, it was an import, with no plates (as are most of the imported cars in the dealer's yard and at the KAT).

On conclusion of the sale, he drove us to the insurance office to get the civil liability insurance and then to the  KAT Office for us to be issued with temporary plates.

We drove home on the temporary plates and you have (I think) 1 month to take the car to your own KAT to get the normal plates.

I doubt the dealer will let you take the car without the having the temp plates fitted.

I would contact the seller and clarify that he will take you to get the temporary plates.

I also recommend reading a few guides about buying second hand cars - your invoice will clearly state "sold as seen"

Caveat emptor

Good info @Erm1ntrude, thank you. Having the temporary plate means you can buy a vignette. I'm not sure if the insurance will be on the plate, I suspect it will be on the VIN instead. This kind of insurance is not valid for long, my agent said "a week". It's just enough to get to KAT and get your proper plate (when you can update/extend your insurance based on this).

how long can i drive with a bulgarian car outside of bulgaria with plates of bulgaria, anywhere in Europe?

DO i have come back with a max of 180 days?

do the insurance,insurance me in that period of half year outside of europe?

how long can i drive with a bulgarian car outside of bulgaria with plates of bulgaria, anywhere in Europe?
DO i have come back with a max of 180 days?
do the insurance,insurance me in that period of half year outside of europe?

-@frankmichel

Most countries require you to import the vehicle and replace the registration plate with a local one between 6–24. It all depends on the country and what your plans are.