Do I need Moroccan Residency to buy an apartment/property?

Hi ,

I am a british national and I'm married to a Moroccan woman.

We're looking to purchase our first property in Morocco and I've been told conflicting information so was wondering if anyone here can point me in the right direction.

I've been told that I need Moroccan Residency to purchase the apartment and the fact that I am married to a Moroccan should make this easier. What are the requirements for this? I'm getting conflicting information saying that I'll only be given residency if I actually move there full time. This isn't something I'm planning on doing and this is more of a holiday home for now as I reside in the UK and was born in the UK.

Also, I've been told that my wife has to show that she has a job/income in Morocco which doesn't' make sense as she depends on my income from the UK. Do I have to show my UK income etc?

I'd like a breakdown of what I need for residency if anyone else has already done it here. Would be massively appreciated.

I've  also been told that I DONT need any residency to purchase the property and was told it would be on my wife's name and then after 5 years I could transfer it to mine but is this true?

@ZackA93

I hope this message finds you well. I would like to clarify some information regarding property ownership in Morocco for foreign nationals.

As a UK citizen married to a Moroccan, I can confirm that it is not necessary to be a resident of Morocco to purchase property there. Additionally, the property can be registered in your name.

I purchased a property 2 Years ago in my name.

If you have any further questions or require additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

@ZackA93

You don't need a specific visa or permit to buy property in Morocco. Owning property can actually be a benefit if you're applying for a residency permit, as it demonstrates your ties to the country. For most property purchases, you don't need special authorization from the government.

@ZackA93

please be carful of putting your property on other peoples names in morocco.

@ZackA93 you dont have ti have residency and the house can be in joint..my hubby moroccan and we bought 15 years ago..altho sold it but looking to relocate there permanent

@ZackA93  I am  British and bought my house at Sidi Ifni 16 years ago.  I did not need to be a Moroccan resident or married to a Moroccan to do so.

I am now thinking of selling.

@ZackA93 At minimum make the title in both your names, but out of an abundance of caution many would advise just in yours.

No residency required.

Keeping in mind it's much easier to bring funds into Morocco than it is to take it out!

Best of luck!