Documents required for Canadian Mixed Marriage in Morocco

Hello everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen living in Toronto, and I am planning to marry my fiancee in Agadir, Morocco. I had some questions about the documents that are required for a Canadian in order to be married in Agadir. I will provide a list of what I think I require and if someone can please give me any feedback that would be very helpful.

Documents required from Canada:

a) Original Passport & Photocopies (does the passport photocopy need to be notarized?)

b) Birth Certificate:

• I was originally born in Pakistan, so I have a very old Urdu version of my birth certificate from the 1990s.
  • Can i translate this birth certificate to English and notarize it? will that be accepted?

c) Police Record

• from my understanding, I have read that prior to 2024 and the Hague Apostille Convention, people had to send either the RCMP criminal record check or the Toronto Police Service criminal record check (notarized) to Global Affairs Canada for authentication. But now that the Apostille Convention is in effect, will Moroccan courts accept a notarized RCMP or Toronto Police Service criminal record check that is authenticated by an Apostille in Toronto such as Ontario Documents Services (ODS) on 222 Jarvis Street?

d) Work Certificate and income pay stubs (do these have to be notarized?)

e) Certificate of Celibacy/Single Status Certificate (I believe this can be issued at the Canadian Embassy in Rabat. Can someone confirm this please?)

f) Islam certificate

• I was born muslim, so do I still need this certificate? can someone tell me if I can just make this in Morocco if I do need it?

g) Capacite de Mariage (issued by Canadian Embassy)

h) Attestation de Nationalite (issued by Canadian Embassy)

i) 4 recent photos

j) Medical certificate (issued in Morocco)

k) Certificate of Police Record (issued by Ministry of Justice in Morocco)

I think the main thing I really want to know is about the birth certificate and criminal record check if they will accept the apostille version for police record. This has been so stressful and I am going in September to Morocco. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

@untimed921

a) Original Passport & Photocopies (does the passport photocopy need to be notarized?) - you should bring your passeport for me i did not notarized, when you go to canadian embasssy you need to bring it.

b) Birth Certificate:

I was originally born in Pakistan, so I have a very old Urdu version of my birth certificate from the 1990s.

Can i translate this birth certificate to English and notarize it? will that be accepted?

: you should translate it and yes notorized it

c) Police Record

from my understanding, I have read that prior to 2024 and the Hague Apostille Convention, people had to send either the RCMP criminal record check or the Toronto Police Service criminal record check (notarized) to Global Affairs Canada for authentication. But now that the Apostille Convention is in effect, will Moroccan courts accept a notarized RCMP or Toronto Police Service criminal record check that is authenticated by an Apostille in Toronto such as Ontario Documents Services (ODS) on 222 Jarvis Street?

• For me i am in quebec i did  RCMP without apostille and it was accepted but if you have time it`s better to have an apostille, we never knows i did mine in december.
  • Ask your wife to apply for  a police record in morocco, it can be done online. When you go to morocco you can have it ,you should bring your passeport. it will not waste your time.

d) Work Certificate and income pay stubs (do these have to be notarized?) -

i notorized mine but they did not asked for it, as precaution i would ask you to do it, we never know if the law changed. its about 30$

e) Certificate of Celibacy/Single Status Certificate (I believe this can be issued at the Canadian Embassy in Rabat. Can someone confirm this please?)

• this one yes, take an appointement online before you book your tiicket. its every friday so if you miss it you need to wait for next friday. Arrived in Rabat go 15 mins before.

f) Islam certificate -

you should do it again, i was born a muslim also but they asked me to do it again over there . around 200dh

I was born muslim, so do I still need this certificate? can someone tell me if I can just make this in Morocco if I do need it?

g) Capacite de Mariage (issued by Canadian Embassy) - this one yes, take an appointement online before you book your tiicket. its every friday so if you miss it you need to wait for next friday.

h) Attestation de Nationalite (issued by Canadian Embassy) -

yes at the embassy

i) 4 recent photos - yes

j) Medical certificate (issued in Morocco)- you will neeed to do it also in morocco it about 200dh.

k) Certificate of Police Record (issued by Ministry of Justice in Morocco) -

yes you need one as i said in the previous message.

important :

take appointement at the embassy before you go.

take police record before you go ( your wife to do it)

it takes around 3 weeks to get everything done.

send your documents to your wife and have it translated before you go, it takes around 3 weeks !!

most important for them is capacity of marriage.

If you need help let me know. have a good wedding .

@ave03

Hello ave03, thank you so much for your kind reply, I have a few questions about your comments.

First, about the birth certificate, I know that most of the documents should be less than 3 months old for marriage. If I have an original birth certificate that is from 1996, do I need to make a new birth certificate that is less than 3 months old? Or can I take that old original birth certificate along with a notarized translated photocopy version. They will accept these documents?

Secondly, for the police record, when you got the RCMP criminal record check, did you not get it authenticated from Global Affairs Canada? I know that the RCMP Criminal Record Check doesn't need to be notarized, but what about the authentication part? The Global Affairs Canada website says it will take 4 months or more to process documents that are sent in now and I don't have time because I am going in September. I spoke with the Canadian Embassy and they told me that they will Apostille the RCMP Criminal Record Check if I bring it to them, so I will be doing that instead of getting it authenticated at Global Affairs Canada. Will the Moroccan marriage courts accept this?

Third, about the Certificate of Celibacy, is this the same thing as the French Statutory declaration that we have to do for 50$ in the Canadian Embassy?

Thank you very much for your time and information 1f600.svg

Hello,

• No i gave my old birth certificate also, they accepted it.

• i did not authenticated from global affairs, i was afraid also as they said i need to authenticate it before i go but they accept the RCMP letter which i did online and i did not even got it notorized. After everything is ok, the police will do there own reseach about you. I think that`s why they accept it. If you want to have it apostille to be safe it`s a good idea as i don`t know about agadir court as i was in tangier.(should be the same for evryone) if you want to do the aspostille, there are some private company who can do it for you, it take less than a week to get it.

• Yes its the certificate of celibacy you need to have one in toronto that states your relationship status(can be done online )

• At the canadian embassy it something else, This one it will indicates that you are able to get married,your salary, the place of  birth etc(you are only able to do that in morocco at the canadian embassy)

if you need something else let me know.

@ave03

Thank you for your clarifications. I have no idea how to get certificate of celibacy and I thought I could get this in Morocco. If this can be done online can you please provide me the link where I can do this? Thank you so much

@untimed921

for me it was in quebec.

https://www.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca/public … ion_Fr.pdf

Ontario should have it also.

@ave03 ooh I see thank you. I have spoken to a few notaries in toronto and they told me that we don't have a single status affidavit like that online. They have been telling me that if I want to make that I go to a notary and swear before them about my single status and they make it and notarize it. Another person who was from toronto told me that she got it made at the Canadian Embassy in Rabat for 50$

So I think it will be okay to make it in Morocco? I read on the government of canada website that they can make a statutory declaration in english or French which also includes information about marital status, for 50$

yes you can take an apointement at the embassy, but as i told you try to take the appointement before you go there.plan all the appointement before you go. Dont forget the translation :)