Moving Back to the UK from the US

Hi,

After living in the US for the last 20 years, we are intending to move back to the UK sometime in the new year. I say move back as it will be for me, but for my American born wife it will be the first time living outside of the US. I am a dual citizen and of course my wife holds a US passport.

We both intend to continue working for US based companies, at least for a while for me. I work in technology and my wife is an Integrative Health Coach.

I'm looking for your experience of returning to the UK, for sure around the following topics:

• Spousal visa
  • Opening a bank account
  • Getting setup with a cell phone
  • Challenges with establishing good credit (my US credit rating is 800 plus, but how much does that count in the US?)
  • Can I resurrect my old UK driving license, or would I need to take a test?
  • Would my wife need to take a driving test to obtain a license?
  • We would plan to rent for at least a year. What do agents or owners require from someone with no recent UK credit history?
  • Getting back onto the NHS.
  • Getting registered with a Dr/GP.
  • Taxes

I'm missing some important questions for sure, but that is enough for now. Any feedback, advice would be very welcome.

Regards,

Paul and Valynne

Hi,
After living in the US for the last 20 years, we are intending to move back to the UK sometime in the new year. I say move back as it will be for me, but for my American born wife it will be the first time living outside of the US. I am a dual citizen and of course my wife holds a US passport.

We both intend to continue working for US based companies, at least for a while for me. I work in technology and my wife is an Integrative Health Coach.

I'm looking for your experience of returning to the UK, for sure around the following topics:

Spousal visa
Opening a bank account
Getting setup with a cell phone
Challenges with establishing good credit (my US credit rating is 800 plus, but how much does that count in the US?)
Can I resurrect my old UK driving license, or would I need to take a test?
Would my wife need to take a driving test to obtain a license?
We would plan to rent for at least a year. What do agents or owners require from someone with no recent UK credit history?
Getting back onto the NHS.
Getting registered with a Dr/GP.
Taxes

I'm missing some important questions for sure, but that is enough for now. Any feedback, advice would be very welcome.

Regards,

Paul and Valynne

-@coloradoram

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

To answer some of your questions:

• Spousal visa.  Unless you are intending to use a lawyer to do this, start on the UK Gov website; this link will take you straight to the section on Visas.
  • Opening a bank account.  I've heard people recommend Barclays because they have a US local branch network; start there; this link will take you straight to their website
  • Getting setup with a cell phone.  You'll need UK credit rating; this link will explain it.
  • Challenges with establishing good credit (my US credit rating is 800 plus, but how much does that count in the US?).  The bad news is that you will not be able to use your     US credit rating; the good news is the link I gave you to Experian will explain how to get your UK version better than I can
  • Can I resurrect my old UK driving license, or would I need to take a test?  Assuming you have a current US driving licence; this link will take you to the UK Gov website that explains how to do it
  • Would my wife need to take a driving test to obtain a license? See above.
  • We would plan to rent for at least a year. What do agents or owners require from someone with no recent UK credit history? Rental accommodation is currently in very short supply and so very expensive.  I'd recommend you stay with existing family until you can find somewhere.  Many people use something like Airbnb.
  • Getting back onto the NHS.  Once you are legally resident, you will be able to use the NHS.  Your wife will have to pay an annual contribution - it's not cheap, but probably cheaper than what you're used to paying in the States.
  • Getting registered with a Dr/GP.  Just walk into your local practice and ask if you can register; be warned some are full and you may have to look around.  If you have any existing conditions, make sure you arrive with plenty of prescription medication and a copy of your existing prescription.  Perhaps ask your current doctor for a letter of introduction if there are any complicated issues.
  • Taxes.  Where you are assessed for taxes is deemed by where you are deemed as being resident for more than 183 days in any tax year; in your case that will be the UK (HMRC)   There is a tax treaty in place between the UK/US, you can download them from the UK Gov website; this link will take you straight to it.  US citizens also have to make an annual declaration of all overseas income to the IRS, I suggest you speak to the IRS before you leave.  Assuming you are employed, income taxes and National Insurance will be deducted and paid directly to HMRC from your salary.  If you have any other world income, you will have to declare it to the HMRC.  If your tax situation is complicated, I would advise you speak to a tax advisor.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hi,

I have a specific question around the Spousal visa if anyone has experience of this. As mentioned earlier, we are looking to move back to the UK for me and apply for a visa for my US born wife. Currently we both reside in the US. The UK Gov site covers a section on accommodation. Our intention is to apply for the spousal visa and then when granted, look for a property and move to the UK together. However, the Gov site implies you have to have an address in the UK when you apply for the spousal visa. Can anyone confirm this is correct, and if yes, is there is a way of working around that requirement?

Thanks

Paul

@coloradoram

I can confirm that you need a UK address and a UK income (or a substantial capital sum in lieu) when you apply for a spousal visa (probably you can submit an application without satisfying these requirements, but your application would fail and the hefty application fee is non-refundable). Usually, the partner who is a British citizen will move first and will find suitable accommodation and a job with an appropriate salary, and only then is the visa application submitted.

The only work-arounds involve having relatives able and willing to provide suitable accommodation, or being sufficiently wealthy to buy a property outright.

Thanks Voyager,

You describe what I'm hearing. I won't need a job and neither will my wife. We will continue to work for US companies remotely. Also, I have UK income that meets the new financial requirements. So, I have family in UK, so using their address might be an option.

Thanks

Paul

@coloradoram

Yes, you could indeed use your relatives' address. They would need to confirm that they are offering you accommodation that is suitable for a couple, and would probably need to provide some kind of documentation about the space available in the house. So long as your plan genuinely is to stay with them in the short term and they do have sufficient room for this, your application should be approved.