Non-eu family member - settled status?

Hi,

I applied for the pre-settled status and got it pretty quickly.

My main question for the settled status is, when do we start counting the 5 years from?
From the moment we entered the country with a family permit intending to live here or from the moment we received a residence card?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

It was 5 years from the date you began living in the UK, but for some reason, I can't find the definitive link on the UK Gov website, everything seems to have been re-written for Brexit and EU citizens.

I'm happy to be corrected, or if someone else has found the link.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks Cynic, I imagine it would be a bit weird to wait until the date I have received my residence anyways considering I had an NI number 4 months prior me getting the residence card.

To Belgicauk:
Hello there.
Ref your main question:  My main question for the settled status is, when do we start counting the 5 years from?
I do believe it is  "from the date of issue" (as in every other case - such as any type of visas/documents issued by the Home Office). 
Your residence card provides evidence you are entitled to live/reside in the UK. 
Keep counting - the 5 years will soon come & go..  hope this helps.
Stay safe.
regards
Rick

Hi,

You start counting from the day you enter the country. That was the case for me.
If in doubt, call the home office on 0300 123 7000  for confirmation.

I hope this help.

Kind regards

Roland.

Hi Roland
Thanks for clarification.
Regards
Rick

Additionally to this,

When can I apply for the status? Once the 5 year is complete or can I apply for example a week before the 5 year is complete since applications take a bit of time?

You can apply when you qualify.

Thanks Cynic, just gotta be a bit more patient with it then.

And one more question on this, not sure if anyone had this experience.

I have gotten my pre-settled status via sending my EEA residence card to the HO.
Trying to apply for the settled status through the app with a new phone, but this phone does not recognise the chip within either.

Do I now need to send my document again to the HO for the SS application?

I honestly don't know as I never had to do it.  Try contacting the Home Office, some kind person published the phone number further up the thread.

As an update to this, the residence card must be sent again to HO for it to be checked for the settled status if the phone app is not finding the chip within the card and you don't want to do it at a centre.

They have received the residence card and now it has been 8 working days without a COA, is that normal? Last time they sent me a COA 3 days after receiving it.

And it is not possible to get updates over the phone btw, unless the case worker had requested something that you would like to respond to.

It's been more than 5 weeks now that I applied for the settled status. Is it normal that it is taking this long?

Hey
My application for settle status took 4 months...

Wow, that quoted "5 days" is ridiculous then.

Just as an update for people who may be wondering about timelines, my application took almost 3 months.

Interestingly, they first sent an email saying they need further documentation for a period of time, for which I had already uploaded some documentation.

10 mins later, they sent another email saying that I was given the settled status.

They must be incredibly busy, so that 5 days is really not true, but I can understand why they are busy at this time.

Great suggestions, thank you for this clarification ...