Menu
Expat.com

A mouse in the house.

Last activity 31 July 2024 by Aki Smi

bigpearl

Something different from my normal rambles.

We have lived here for over 5 years and never saw a mouse let alone a rat here, I have noticed the neighbours cat at times down the bottom of the garden stalking and chasing but too far away and I just assumed one of the many lizards living here.

Well as we do when we get older I visited the toilet around 1 am and low and behold was a  mouse doing laps in the toilet bowl, naughty me even woke the better half to look see.

Our septic system is fully sealed and doubt a mouse would swim up through an s trap to do laps.

I think it came in under a door, found its way into the ensuite, climbed the clothes basket a foot away from the toilet bowl and did the classic Assassins Creed leap of faith, now in the digester tank and some draft sealers for the bottom of the doors purchased.

Hope that's the end of that.

Cheers, Steve.

Larry Fisher

We have a few cats. That keeps the mice away. Gecko's for the insects. I love the balance of nature. 1f601.svg

Mark Joshua Nonan

hi @bigpearl!! I’m genuinely curious about what draws you to think about moving in Philippines. Is it the tropical climate, the welcoming communities, the cost of living, or something else entirely?

bigpearl

Welcome to the forum Mark.

Curiosity killed the cat that apparently kills mice and anything else that moves. One mouse in over 5 years with no cats is a good start.

Yes to all of your questions but the clincher is a loving Filipino partner, 13 years and going strong.

Cheers, Steve.

Mark Joshua Nonan

@bigpearl may I ask how long have you been living in Philippines? and what province? and why did you chose that province?

Mark Joshua Nonan

@bigpearl I really have a lot of questions on why expat choose to retire in Philippines and their experience, is it possible to message you directly

bigpearl

Hi again Mark.

Living here over 5 years and knocking around here for 14 years, Filipino partner for 13 years, not that it matters but we live in La Union, better half's family are 45 minutes drive,,,,, nice family and relatives but a safe enough distance, and you? what are you hoping to learn on an expat site that as a local can't teach us.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl

@Mark.

You can direct msg on this site, as for why expats retire here? Why do they retire in another 100 countries? It's not only the Philippines, I always intended to retire in Italy or maybe southern France, Spain is nice also,,,,, here we are, roll of the dice.

What are you looking for?

Cheers, Steve.

Mark Joshua Nonan

@bigpearl I actually work as a junior property consultant our company mostly cater foreigners, I just wanted to learn from an expat perspective what experience they encounter living here in Philippines, so I could share it with my clients smile.png

Mark Joshua Nonan

@bigpearl unfortunately there's no send message option on your profile, maybe it's because you're a VIP

bigpearl

Hi Mark, enjoy your search and perhaps talk to your prospective clients for their reasons, good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl

Mark I don't need a PM, I answered your questions.

Cheers, Steve.

Enzyte Bob

Mark Joshua Nonan asked . . . . bigpearl I really have a lot of questions on why expat choose to retire in Philippines and their experience, is it possible to message you directly

instead of asking such a broad subject which would take reams of info, I suggest you go to youtube where you will find thousands and thousands of hours from expats experiences already prepared for viewing.

You can draw your own conclusions of "why".

bigpearl

I wonder why I was singled out as there is a far wiser member that know everything about the Philippines and is always correct,,,,,, even though he doesn't live here.

The thread remains "a mouse in the house"

Cheers, Steve.

Aki Smi

Hello Steve, Thank you for sharing your story! It sounds like you had quite the surprise encounter. It's amazing how these little critters can find their way into the most unexpected places. It's good to hear you've already taken steps to prevent future visits from adventurous mice. Hopefully, that will be the end of your uninvited guests. I recomend have cats, they're so smart and cute. Wishing you a rodent-free home from now on!

Have a good day! 1f601.svg

Articles to help you in your expat project in Manila

• Studying in Manila
    Studying in Manila

With more than a hundred universities dotted around the city, Metro Manila is very much the center of higher ...

• Student life in Manila
    Student life in Manila

Student life in Manila is relatively cheap and covers a wide range of activities that will surely pique an ...

• Developing a professional network in Manila
    Developing a professional network in Manila

It might be challenging to establish a professional network, especially when relocating to Manila. But if you know ...

• Buying property in Manila
    Buying property in Manila

Buying a property is a big and exciting step, but navigating the rules and regulations in a new country can be a ...

• Choosing your neighbourhood in Manila
    Choosing your neighbourhood in Manila

Choosing a neighborhood is one of the most critical decisions that expats need to make when moving to Manila. Each ...

• Developing your social circle in Manila
    Developing your social circle in Manila

When moving to a new city, invariably, the friends you meet and cultivate first will make the most impact and can ...

• The work culture in Manila
    The work culture in Manila

When deciding to work in Manila as an expat, it is crucial to know and understand the proper work etiquette. What ...

• Gastronomy in Manila
    Gastronomy in Manila

The food of Manila reflects an evolution over many centuries, starting from its Austronesian origins and ending ...

All of Manila's guide articles