Menu
Expat.com

Registering a car and obtaining insurance as a tourist.

Last activity 25 July 2024 by alan279

Wb104811

Hello expats,

I’ve seen posts here about people being able to purchase a car, register with DETRAN, insure the car before becoming a resident.

Here’s my problem. I’m in the middle of purchasing a car. The money has already been transferred. The dealership tried to transfer ownership to me but DETRAN wanted a CRNM which I don’t have. Luckily my girlfriend is Brazilian and I can register the car in her name. So if the car is in her name should the insurance also be in her name? Or can I have the insurance in my name? I don’t have a Brazilian drivers license so will I be able to drive it if it’s insured in her name?

roddiesho
  • @Wb104811  OK, so when I got here about a year and a half ago I gave my Brazilian Wife $20k to buy a late model Chevrolet Sedan (she didn't use it all on the car. ) She put it in my name using my Passport. The insurance is on the car vs. anyone's name. In terms of maintenance, we have a Man Friday that maintains the car and drives us around to the grocery store etc. This means that if there are any mishaps on the road, he takes care of it, as well as keeping it in great condition.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

Gasparzinho 777

You can have two names on the insurance, and you should, but, the license thing may trip you. up there too.

FWIW......

The DL from your origin country is valid to drive for only 60 days from the date of the last entry in your PP. If you DO NOT get the Brasilian one in that time period, the degree of doing so is 3X the pain, and, you need the CRNM to do it anyways.

An international DL issued by your origin country is good for 12 months only.

Not moralizing here bro, but I'd NEVER give any Brasilian GF a vehicle. Just sayin'........my Brasilian wife of 23 years, that's another story. Boa sorte !!

alan279

@Gasparzinho 777 I once gave a girlfriend a new car to leave me. 🙃

Gasparzinho 777

KKKKKKKKKKK

With a "tanque cheia" I hope........

alan279

No, that cost me a few thousand dollars more. 😳

alan279

A "tanque cheia" includes gasoline for two or three thousand miles, hotels, restaurants, rent for a few months, etc.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Brazil

• Driving in Brazil
    Driving in Brazil

If you‘re moving to Brazil for a short time, then you can use your national driving license. However, if you ...

• Getting your driver's license in Brazil
    Getting your driver's license in Brazil

This is a short article about the steps needed to obtain your Drivers License in Manaus, Brazil.

• Using phones in Brazil
    Using phones in Brazil

It's much easier these days to get a cell phone in Brazil, and phones and calling plans are inexpensive. ...

• Accommodation in Brasilia
    Accommodation in Brasilia

Brasilia, the country's federal capital, is home to many highly-paid government employees and foreign ...

• Marriage in Brazil
    Marriage in Brazil

Brazil can be a romantic country, and you may want to marry here. Perhaps you even want to remain in Brazil ...

• Dating in Brazil
    Dating in Brazil

If you're single and ready to mingle, then you might want to try your hand at dating after you've settled ...

• Leisure activities in Brazil
    Leisure activities in Brazil

Have you always dreamed of dancing to the rhythm of a Brazilian carnival? Do you wish to enjoy the sand and the ...

• Accommodation in Rio de Janeiro
    Accommodation in Rio de Janeiro

With an official population of about seven million people, and almost twice that number in the metro area, Rio de ...

All of Brazil's guide articles