Menu
Expat.com

Just another "Expat in Baguio City" post

Last activity 04 October 2024 by BOONDOCK-SAINT

BOONDOCK-SAINT

I live in the PNW of the US, I'm not cut out for severe heat. I have aspiration of spending time in Baguio, the opinion changes frequently depending on which video I watched last.

Anyhoo, I would like to know from people who actually live in Baguio or very familiar with it, if it's possible to find a really quiet place, a small house or apartment that's quiet and peaceful? I'm almost ready to leave the US, just a few things to wrap up and would be able to pre rent a place or property.

I've spent time in the Makati / Manila / Eastwood City / Ortigas areas and not sure I'm willing to get caught up in that noise and pollution again. BGC is probably not in my price range even if I could find a REALLY quiet place there.

Thoughts? Are there some parts of Baguio City that are quiet? Any recommendation on where to look or whom to contact? Would love to hear from you, feel free to just PM me too.

Thanks in advance!

Cliff Spark

Your reason for not choosing BGC (price range), seems like something you’ll likely run into in Baguio as well.

bigpearl

@BOONDOCK-SAINT

Welcome to the forum even though you have been a member for many months.

Baguio offers lots and a pleasant place to be/visit, if I was single I would consider it after many visits but the better half's family live in San Fernando city about 2 hours to the west, while the road has vastly improved over the last 12 odd years it's still a mountain drive and full caution is needed with some wild drivers on the road. Baguio offers most things including a cooler climate. If you have never been there it's worth spending some time there before you commit and it's not cheap to live there, good luck and try before you make decisions.

Cheers, Steve.

stuleer

howdy, Just a few thoughts..........i was in Baguio for several days 2 wks ago. I had not been there since 2010 so there were a lot of changes; mainly the number of people. It is super crowded and every place (in the center area) you have to que to get in restaurants and to get taxis. We were in a hotel near the SM mall and during the working hours could not get a taxi.......they all drove by with customers inside. Very frustrating. My wife and I tried going to the restaurants inside SM for lunch and dinner.........had to que. We live in Hong Kong where you would imagine to be crowded, but not as crazy as Baguio. My filipino wife went to college in Baguio and she would not move there now cause it's so crazy trying to get around. So it's unfortunate things have gone that direction, but i could not live there on account of the number of people there now. More than half the population are students. Yes, the temp is cooler, but the crowds are a negative point.

Good luck.

renegadesric529

@BOONDOCK-SAINT

i was looking at Batangas and tagatay

as Tagatay has same climate as Baguio and not as remote

Its a long drive to and from manila to baguio

Lotus Eater

@BOONDOCK-SAINT

Good morning Boondock from a temperate Bath,UK.

Heat, humidity & noise. If I had to pick three words which ultimately overcome many budding expats from taking a permanent stay in the Philippines those would be them. Of course there are other negatives to consider but am assumiing that having made previous visits to the country before are aware of these also.

I ,like Stuleer have not visited Baguio for many years (2008). Places do change over time (but not the climate). Unlike Bigpearl I flew into the old airport with Asian Spirit airlines so avoided the tortuous mountain climb. Alas flights to Baguio have been suspended since then. All good things come to an end.

I do not suffer from any chest or respiratory conditions but found the pollution in Baguio appalling. Cooler air comes with a price - it is denser than warm air and can trap pollutants more readily. As alluded to by other contributors the population has increased compounding the problem, with attendant over crowding issues that filter down into the service sector - taxis and restaurants.

I assume ‘PNW’ means Pacific North West to this limey Brit. Like the UK you have a temperate climate with frequent rainfall so this should not be a concern for you in Baguio where, during the winter months, you could be forgiven you are in Portland Oregon.

There are quiet areas in the city. I stayed at the Elizabeth hotel off Gibralter road and is still one of the most charming hotels I have ever resided in. One of our regular contributors to this site, Mugtech, has recently returned from a 6 month stay in Baguio alternating with 6 months at his home in Pennsylvania. I am sure he will have some valuable additional observations to make.

By the way love the ‘Saint’ logo which many of your countrymen will be unfamiliar with. My father drove the Volvo P1800 in the sixties. The British series producers approached Jaguar if they could use one of theirs. They refused. Hence one of the most iconic cars ever produced was brought to the screen.

bigpearl

Well posted Lotus and many relevant points including the Volvo. For us is beachfront for a little proximity to family 40 minutes drive away as well as the sea change from the from the farm and hills on the Sunshine Coast in Oz.

Here in sunny Bacnotan it's generally 25C overnight and 32C in the middle of the day, I simply stay in the A/C in the middle of the day unless we need to go out and then it's into an A/C car and an A/C shopping center and 32C is not that hot unless you stand in the sun. Yep Baguio is busy as is our city of SFC here but there are much quieter areas away from the city centers if you spend the time to locate, no roosters, no traffic, no karaoke, no pollution but a little further from services, a trade off and one we made and never looked back, as another member mentioned are cost, Baguio will not be cheap if you want to be close to everything, no different to any big city.

An add on/Edit we do acclimatize and enjoy where we live, takes time but comes with persistence.

I hope the OP finds what he searches for.

Cheers, Steve.

mugteck

We just bought a townhouse 3miles outside the city limits off of Nagillian Road along the mountain side.  It was very crowded for the 3 months we spent in Baguio in Lower Rock Quarry Barangay.  It had all the qualities of any barangay in the Philippines, plenty of barking dogs, loud kids and karaoke.  We liked it because we are used to such communities.  I have no idea where you can find a quiet place in or near Baguio.

We never had much trouble getting cabs, and they are very cheap.  Being seniors we had priority at the SM Mall, never waited more than 30 minutes, only costs about 75 pesos to get to LRQB.  Of course waiting in the Philippines is wide spread.  Our townhouse is a block from a jeepney pick up spot, costs 15 pesos, 12 for seniors, to get into downtown.  The cathedral has Sunday mass at noon, 1 and 2 in English and was always very crowded, some sitting outside and taking communion from officers of the church bringing it to them.  The masses actually started on time.

We will be returning in November to start furnishing the new place, hope to report successes at that time.  Will report all the expenses  including parking, water, electricity etc.

BOONDOCK-SAINT

Thanks for all the awesome replies! What a great forum. Much appreciated.

I'm turning 61, so not looking for bar scenes, wife or booty-calls. I want to get away from the hassles, attitudes and entitlements of the US and similar cultures.

My niece and nephew (ex-wife family, not blood related but I care for them) area attending the UST  in Manila / Quezon for engineering and architecture. I would like to be near to them and have also considered Tagatay. Sure, I was drenched in sweat there, but it was more pleasant to me than the big cities.

I joke that once you leave the Manila airport, not matter where you want to go, it's going to be 3 hours. No matter where else you want to go to, it's going to be 3 hours. By the time I get to Greenhills etc, I'm ready to go home again.

@stuleer

It is super crowded - crowds are a negative point
you have to que to get in restaurants and to get taxis
could not get a taxi.......they all drove by with customers inside

I'm used to NOT getting a taxi at places like Robinsons, various malls where the cabbies want to make short trips for tourists and get back QUICKLY, not take you on a longer ride.

@renegadesric529

Tagatay has same climate as Baguio

I've been to Tagatay with family to a small retreat property, like an old Catholic sanctuary that can be rented now. I don't recall the name, but friendly folks and lots of zen. This is a lot closer to hospitals and infrastructure than Baguio. What I saw on the main roads were heavily touristy.

@Lotus Eater

Heat, humidity & noise

I had completely written off the PH for a while. Portugal or Albania has more friendly climate. PT is borderline ridiculous to get a visa to, and I can just show up in Albania and loiter for a year, no hassles and not die of heat stroke.

I recently re-watched the series The Saint with Roger Moore. The movie with Val Kilmer is one of my favorites.

@bigpearl

no roosters, no traffic, no karaoke, no pollution
further from services, a trade off

I knew Bacnotan sounded familiar to me. I had been scooching up and down the coastline on google maps trying to get a feel for things, lay of the land. I'm OK with some trade-off / compromise. In any country I envision living further uphill where the locals live, not where the tourists and expats live. If so, I expect to endure the sound of roosters and goats, but I'll take that over traffic and nightlife noise any day.

@mugteck

very crowded
no idea where you can find a quiet place in or near Baguio

Congrats on the purchase, I hope getting your place furnished etc goes well without any hitches or glitches.

xilefnerrad

@BOONDOCK-SAINT

"I'm turning 61, so not looking for bar scenes, wife or booty-calls. I want to get away from the hassles, attitudes and entitlements of the US and similar cultures."

This may help foreigners who may want to find an appropriate place in the Philippines.  Appropriateness is a relative term which depends much highly on the person. That is why I reprodued above what you said above.  It is an expression of what you are looking for.  For me, I will suggest looking into Batangas (Lipa City, Mabini and Nasugbu), Cavite (Tagaytay) and Laguna (San Pablo) and Quezon (Lucena) p;rovinces.  I grew up from the south of Manila that is why I am recommending those which I am more familiar. But I am based in Manila due to work and visit Batangas every three weeks. I guess in the North, you can try Pampanga.

There provinces are like 2 hours to 4 hours drive to Manila.  There are spots in those provinces which offer more amenities of living than the more rural areas: Malls and supermarkets, restaurants, hospitals, recreational facilities and nature resorts like beach resorts and mountain resorts.  These spots may are located mostly at the captial or center of thosse provinces.  The temperature and climate there are better due to less pollution.  I suggest you stay in such places for a day or two via Airbnb and check on the vibe of the place. Then you can assess.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

BOONDOCK-SAINT

@xilefnerrad

I grew up from the south of Manila that is why I am recommending those

Thank you for the informative reply, much appreciated!

I'm somewhat familiar with some of the names you provided, but if you can afford the time to show on google map, I would be more focused. I spend a lot of time trying to know rental prices for houses and condos, apartments etc. There's an expat or two that rent houses for something like $36usd etc and they are fixing them up. I dunno if I'm THAT ambitious.

If I can have some quiet, decent neighbors in a decent neighborhood, some AC, ability to get clean water and fresh food, and live modestly, that would be ideal.

xilefnerrad

@BOONDOCK-SAINT  it is a pleasure to be of any help.  Just type in the google map the municilities or cities i mentioned and you will find it. If upon seeing the map, it appeals to you, then the next thing to do is to go to the place itself for your to appreciate it  or discard it.  If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Okieboy

Look at Davao city and surrounding areas transportation no problem I live 30 kilometres from Davao in the province, if your really looking peaceful and quite 45 minutes cool and rain in the mountains, bus to Davao less than $1.50 run all night

Roy McRoy

@renegadesric529

baguio elevation is 1500m, temp today 22, tagaytay 700m, 32.

as for all the other recommendations, it's all sea-level, beyond hot and humid.

OP said can't stand PNW. 17deg in seattle today

BOONDOCK-SAINT

What I said =  1) In acclimated to the PNW and 2) I'm not cut out for heat and humidity. Those go together. I happen to BE in the PNW atm before I venture south again. Was just camping near St. Helens, nice and cool big_smile.png

I'll be meandering back through NV and AZ as the temps cool for the winter or until I hop a flight outta here.

Navy_Joe7

@BOONDOCK-SAINT

Hi fellow Americano, I  come from California and I have lived in Baguio City now for 12 years.  I tried living the lower area's but it just too hot for me.

Your questions are all yes!  Lots of us live up here because it is so much cooler and the city is lage enough now that you can pretty much get whatever you need.

And a real plus is that almost everyone here speaks English!

I would be glad to answer any more questions if you have any.

Regards

Joseph S

piattepye

@Lotus Eater

Many of the younger crowd may not remember The Saint with Roger Moore, but grew up watching it and The Avengers, Emma Peel and John Steed. And I am a Yank from Florida.

BOONDOCK-SAINT

@BOONDOCK-SAINT
Hi fellow Americano,  . . . I would be glad to answer any more questions if you have any.

Thanks Joseph! You have a bead on an available apartment or house that's quiet enough?  big_smile.png Maybe you can PM me any info for realtors or contacts etc?

@Lotus Eater
Many of the younger crowd may not remember The Saint with Roger Moore, but grew up watching it and The Avengers, Emma Peel and John Steed. And I am a Yank from Florida.

Howdy piattepye.

I just finished 4 seasons of "THE FUGITIVE" with David Janssen. Now I'm plowing into completing THE SAINT. I do love me some Emma Peel!  1f60d.svg

To both and to all . . . I'm just ready to hop a plane to anywhere. I'm selling the last of my belongings and seriously thinking of getting a flight to Albania and just being a perpetual tourist for the rest of my life. I'm DONE here. Dinnitty done done el dunno. Dunnified. done.

Lotus Eater

@BOONDOCK-SAINT

I just finished 4 seasons of "THE FUGITIVE" with David Janssen.

Talk about memory lane. I bought the complete series boxset of David Janssen as Harry 'O'(PI) aka Harry Orwell earlier this year. I'm now on the 2nd season boxset of George Peppard in Banacek as a Polish recovery agent in Boston. He gets 10% finders fee from the insurance company and just about every chick he meets wants to jump into bed with him. Oh thats Banacek with a soft 'C' 1f923.svg

BOONDOCK-SAINT

@Lotus Eater

Ha, I had clicked on the Harry O page on IMDB not too long ago.

"He lives on the beach, and when he's not working on cases he spends his time fixing up his boat, "The Answer." Harry O is unusual in that he doesn't own a flashy car in which to conduct high-speed chases, preferring to ride the bus."

I think I see a semi retirement gig I can handle big_smile.png   These series had great special guests, like Farrah Fawcett or my wife . . . MORGAN FAIRCHILD.

Yeah I think I'll add this series to my hard drives of happiness. THX for the reminder!

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles