Menu
Expat.com

writing up Wills

Last activity 03 September 2024 by buckleyps

limseongs

Hi, how much does it cost to do a simple will and any lawyer recommendations or possible doing it DIY ?

JimJ

Holographic wills are legal here: just write your own out in your own handwriting; English or any other language is acceptable*.  No witnesses are needed.  Keep it in a safe place.

*Before anyone asks: No, Klingon or any other made-up language is NOT acceptable....

JimJ

PS Holographic wills are valid in the UK but must be witnessed and signed in the presence of the witnesses; it's easier to crack them out on a computer...1f60e.svg

Ozzy183a

@limseongs

hi i went to a local lawyer to us who said both a diy and one prepared by a lawyer are valid, she even printed out a standard template for a diy version. not sure on what they charge no doubt a few hundred lev but couldnt see the point in paying if a diy one is ok.

rgds ozzy

limseongs

@JimJ thank you

limseongs

@Ozzy183a Thank you, do you know where I can find the template ( DIY) . My is straight forward. Just leaving everything to my only daughter.

JimJ

@limseongs

You don't need a template for a holographic will - just date it and identify yourself, then set out your beneficiary(ies) and what you're leaving them, preferably including contact details.  Use whatever form of words you feel like; there's no set format. You can just say "I leave everything to X" if you want.  The only essential requirements are that everything's in your own handwriting, and you sign and date it.

Make sure that at least one person knows that you've made the will and where to find it....job done!

JimJ

@limseongs

You'll need a separate will for any property you have in the UK (or elsewhere); a DIY one is fine, as long as it's dated and witnessed.

limseongs

@JimJ thank you so much.

Ozzy183a

@limseongs

hi will send it via a pm link hope it works but will do it later this evening or maybe tomorrow rgds ozzy

limseongs

@Ozzy183a thank you very much

buckleyps

@JimJ this info is SO useful, thank you.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bulgaria

All of Bulgaria's guide articles