Eltel.tv service suspended

tries to register for this service

response

"Firstly, apologies for a late response, but there has been much activity here behind the scenes over the
last few days.

We have not processed your application due to some important decisions pending regarding the eltel.tv service.

Unfortunately, due to many factors including the current economic climate, it has not been possible to achieve the requisite
minimum number of customers to make the service financially sustainable, and for this reason, and with great regret, we have
no option but to suspend the current service.

Should this decision be reversed at a later date we will be contacting all our beta testers and customers to advise them.

We would like to apologise for this disappointment, and thank you for your interest"

another one bites the dust

Toon...

Not another one bites the dust but like any business proposition, it has to be viable but unfortunately in Malta, the take up was not sufficient to justify the provision cost!

In the test stage, 100's undertook the trial and agreed how good it was but then when it came to actually having to pay the minimal sum of 10€ per month for 26 UK TV channels, 17 UK radio stations and all four UK catch up channels, only a small percentage retained the service with the rest deciding upon alternatives, including card sharing.

Quite simply, the service could be quite simply restored (as it is continuing under a different format in other regions) if sufficient people required it but that is the crux of the matter... it is a numbers game and most importantly, it is a business that has to be funded!

Best regards and seasons greetings to all

MikeA

Mikea - i understand that but surely its an internet driven source and you would be providing that anyway to others in other countries, or is really more complex than that? I think your timing is wrong as this week saw the demise of itv1 and +1 plus the ch5 and USA derivitives... on the dreambox...and I like many others have now sought an alternative to what eltel.tv offered...i guess filmonHd will get the revenue as well as watch uktv abroad....ah well never mind...we expats are a resourceful lot.

but in any event what about those people who did take the offer up - are they now left high and dry for supporting it....

and if its only relevant to Malta why is the main site saying it is no longer accepting membership - it sure does appear to be global and not country specific.

Toon,

I don't mean to say "I told you so" but the demise of collecting service from the sat systems was forewarned quite a while ago... but nobody believed it !

Now the next forewarning ... FilmOn will shortly be restarting their subscription only service but in fairness to them, you get a good selection of content but as a compromise, the service quality is hugely variable ... you pays for what you get!

Regarding other types of services, yes of course there are a number of others, all at a cost and all with their own quirks the same as eltel.tv, including the free VPN's ...

With regard to the technology of deployment, yes it is complex and yes it is costly so the logical thing is to focus upon the mass market and wean out the lesser markets allowing greater application growth in those regions that deliver the most RoI...

So, if you or anyone else would like to become the local appointed wholesaler of the eltel.tv services for Malta, this would be very much welcomed and the service would quickly be restored!...

Note to Toonarmy 'edit'

Your observation is quite correct... the eltel.tv website is geared toward specific viewer demographics upon a global basis but this is a 'front end' and not the engine room. The provision core deploys in numerous ways (including wholesale delivery to third parties and in differing formats) but the marketing core is very specific to market demand and very sadly, the Brit expat market take up has not met minimum projected levels hence operational financing is being directed to areas that are meeting projections.

MikeA