Menu
Expat.com

Pregnancy in Auckland

Last activity 05 December 2012 by sameboat

Christine

Hi,

could you please share advice and tips about pregnancy in Auckland ?

Who are the best gynecologists for pregnancy follow-ups?

Which hospitals or clinics would you recommend to give birth in Auckland ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your advice !

Christine

sameboat

Are you coming over here pregnant or planning to be pregnant? Big difference!

The reason I ask is:  YOU must find yourself a gyne or midwife, compared to the UK for example where the practice provides you with a midwife and when you get to hospital, it's whomever on duty that delivers.

Here - the midwife you choose will be the one who delivers your baby. It allows you to build a rapport and like them! I arrived nearly 6 mths pregnant and didn't understand the system (was in denial we were having another as our twins were 1 & it was craaaazy!!!!). I think it took a month to settle in, find playgroups for the boys and work out where in Akl we were going to live - major deciding factor in choosing the midwife! Anyway, all of those that I rang we're full and I started to panic! My GP was chosen as she ozone of the few in Akl that still deliver babies!!

Gyne's you pay for. I think it's when you expect a more complicated birth. Lots of twin mums pay or ivf. I think a few friends said it cost in the region of $6,000 kiwi$. But I've no idea if that was a cheap or expensive one! All midwives have gyne's and hospitals too.

The options for giving birth are: home; a birthing centre - pain relief is gas and air nothing that involves an epidural etc. there's no surgical teams its very local and sounded like a hotel!! Or hospital and so everything's on standby.

St. John's ambulances you must pay for. It cost us $70 to get to hospital (not pregnancy related). Or you can join, make a one off fee and then I think you're awarded a couple of ambulance rides as part of the membership. Handy if you have littlies!

Plunket offer ante-natal courses and so do the hospitals. After bubba is born, you stay with your midwife for 6wks and then you have the option of being part of Plunket. I would - it'll help you integrate here and understand the system and the support is utterly amazing. I work part time for Plunket now. For example they set up a coffee group for new mums so at about 8-12 weeks you attend a session with all the mums who have had baby's in your area in the last month. It's a big kiwi tradition to forge friends in coffee groups and after the coffee groups stop meeting officially- then usually girls carry on meeting at people's houses!

Good luck smile.png

pemii

hey thanx 4 the info shared but icant ask 4 epidural? y?

sameboat

A birthing centre doesn't give them. Hospitals only

Articles to help you in your expat project in Auckland

• Healthcare in New Zealand
    Healthcare in New Zealand

New Zealand's healthcare system is a complicated one, relying on both a public health system and a private ...

• Pregnancy in New Zealand
    Pregnancy in New Zealand

Expecting a baby in New Zealand can be a wonderful experience, with a high standard of maternal and infant care, ...

• Accidents and emergencies in New Zealand
    Accidents and emergencies in New Zealand

New Zealand has a unique Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) system available to all New Zealand citizens, ...

• Accommodation in Auckland
    Accommodation in Auckland

Auckland is a beautiful coastal city with mild weather and a diverse population. It's also the biggest city in New ...

• Working in Auckland
    Working in Auckland

Being New Zealand's biggest city means that Auckland has the most opportunities for employment but also the ...

• Buying property in Auckland
    Buying property in Auckland

Having a home to call your own is one of the biggest dreams many of us share. While Auckland has its challenges, ...

• Studying in Auckland
    Studying in Auckland

Auckland is a city brimming with university students, both local and international. There are two leading ...

• Developing your social circle in Auckland
    Developing your social circle in Auckland

With 1.65 million people living in Auckland, it's certainly not the biggest city in the world by international ...

All of Auckland's guide articles