Driving License

What is the story on driving license.  I am being assigned, possibly, for two years.  Will I need to get a local KSA license?

YES

as long as ur a legal resident and not on a visitor visa
u will need to get ur driving license
and u will need to do a driving test
on a manual gear car
as i recall

I know there was a thread that covered this topic extensively not too long ago.  I suggest you search it out and good luck with that driver's test! :)

Thanks for the information.

Much appreciated!

Okay..went through this process about a month ago.

You will need the following:-
copy of passport
copy of iqama
1 photograph
letter from your employer on letterhead, stamped and signed.

You do have to obtain a Saudi Driving Licence.

The process like most things in KSA is very slow!

You need to attend a driving licensing centre (for Riyadh its the Dallah Driving School)

This is the process:-
once arriving at the centre with a letter signed and stamped by your employer on company letterhead.

1st - go to translation centre - they will complete forms which is a translation of your current driving license (in my case UK) into Arabic. Cost 30 SR

2nd - go to medical centre for blood test - simple blood test to confirm your blood type. Cost 20SR

3rd - go to driving centre counter - they will stamp the the translation and blood report. Cost 400 SR

4th - take stamped paperwork to driving instuctor - you do have a choice of automatic or manual car - you drive in straightline for 20 yards and reverse back. (yes 20 yards the test takes 2 min in total..no manouveres..no turning..its a joke). Instructor will sign the forms

5th - take the signed form to counter 2 where they restamp the paperwork.

6th - go to police counter who examines paperwork and stamps the paperwork.

7th - go to the counter 3 - wait and hey presto 15 mins later they call your name and hand you a Saudi Driving Licence.

The photo on the driving licence is the one they take at the airport when you arrived in KSA.!!!

Takes about 3 to 4 hours in total, so would recommend going in the morning. Its very busy and at each stage there is a queue. My employer sent a native arabic speaker with me and this was a blessing.

dswiatkowski, last month my friend got the license in a day and he didnt have to go thru all the shit as he had an american driving license. so, i think u will have to get ur license translated at the license office and just need to apply.
ONLY IF U HAVE A VALID DRIVING LICENSE from a western or gulf countries

shahab.ali wrote:

dswiatkowski, last month my friend got the license in a day and he didnt have to go thru all the shit as he had an american driving license. so, i think u will have to get ur license translated at the license office and just need to apply.
ONLY IF U HAVE A VALID DRIVING LICENSE from a western or gulf countries

You get the license on the same day in 3 to 4 hours...procedures you have to go through. If this was organised it would take 20 mins max!

I got my driving license in a day, actually about 45 mins, no problem. Mind you I don't think that a driving license is held in very high regard here. Most of the Saudi Nationals that I have spoken to say that they have never bothered getting one (even the 12 year old kids).

One further word of advice that I was given. In addition to the stuff mentioned by SaudiUK, which was accurate, take along a green hanging file.

Sandman wrote:

take along a green hanging file.

Why a green hanging file?

I think that it's for the driving school to put all of your forms in when they process your application.

Don't ask me why but then there's alot of stuf that makes no sence at all.

lol....ya the green hanging file...
u have to place all ur forms in that ad submit. he will put that in the cabinet. if u dont have the file...u will again have to go out and buy it and stand in the queue again...those people dont have the time to put in ur papers in the file ;)