LGBT Gibraltar

Morning all!

I hope you are all well :-)

I moving down to southern Spain in 2 months and will be working in Gibraltar. My partner is coming with me and she is really nervous as she's never left the UK, let alone lived in another country.
Her main concern is being able to make friends and fit in. From what I know, Gib doesn't have much of an LGBT scene and as a trans woman she is very scared of the reception she may get.

Obviously she has my support and my friends will make her feel welcome but I just wanted to ask if there was much of a scene or a support group in the area?

Thanks in advance! :)

Zub

Hello Zub,

I guess that would all depend on what your definition of "scene" is. If you mean it your partner going to be able too have a swinging lifestyle and hook up easily, probably not.

Also you must realize that most countries of any Latin/Hispanic origins, all have some very strong "macho" attitudes. Homophobic attitudes are quite common in European and Central/South American countries for just this reason.

If your partner is a fragile sort then she's going to be in for a pretty rough ride, for sure. One need only look at the recent demonstrations in France in opposition of same-sex marriage to see the kind of reception you both can expect in most European countries.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

I think there is a reasonably active gay group in Gib - yes I know that isn't what you asked - but they may be supportive and be able to provide info about LGBTQ groups, support, networks, whatever.

I don't see why there should be an issue, but there again I'm not LGBTQ and I have lived abroad a lot. Spain, to me, is similarly OK, just depends on where you mix and who with I suppose.

Gib is a catholic country which doesn't really bode well for sexual equality.

I would suggest you try and contact Gib Gay Rights in the first instance to see if they know about any LGBTQ groups. At least they aren't hetero so may be more clued up than I am.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info :)

We are far from the "swinging" type, just looking to be able to live happily and quietly in a nice part of the world... it's just that I'll be working a lot and it would be nice if she can go along to some social/support groups and make some friends.

Roughseas - we'll certainly check in with any groups I come across, including the Gay Rights group. I appreciate things aren't going to be as easy as they were in Madrid nor here in the UK, but as long as I have something to go on we should be OK :) Thanks for the info.

I'm more worried about her sorting out her passport in time to be honest! ;)

Thanks again,

Zub

I can ask at the library if you want.  They are pretty well informed and notices about meetings of whatever groups are always posted outside. I need to take back my overdue books anyway.

I don't know anyone who is LGBTQ but there again I don't go around analysing someone's sexuality.

If you are living in Spain however perhaps you have already tried to find out networks across the border. Where are you planning to live? I may be able to help with Spanish contacts.

Thanks Roughseas, that would be really helpful! You're a star!

I've found the Equality Rights Group, who I most certainly will get in touch with. I will be investigating around Costa de la Luz/Costa del Sol but until we know for sure where we will be living (most probably La Línea) I've been a bit lazy with it. The other possible problem in that respect is that while she doesn't speak Spanish, she is picking it up slowly.

I think that for the most part she should be OK as she grew up in a tough mining village :lol: it's about time she had something nice to look forward to - I just hope it's not too much of a shock!

Thanks again - I hope your library fines aren't too horrific ;)

There's quite a lot of English in La Linea, ie Spaniards who speak English, and loads of Brits who live there.

Just as Gibbos speak Spanish naturally, Spaniards in La Linea seem to have acquired English.  They aren't bilingual like Gibbos, but some are pretty fluent.

Living in La Linea will at least give your partner chance to learn Spanish, it's a nightmare trying to learn in Gib.  But at least coming into Gib will give her the chance to feel more at ease with English.

I thought everyone grew up in mining communities. Well I did, Yorkshire, and my partner did, Kent/Wales, so I'm sure she'll be fine.  Suerte.

there is a active gay scene in Gibraltar check out omi palone on facebook they organise events monthly. gibraltar is very gay friendly and everyone is very accepting.

Hi Sharnia,

Thanks very much for your message - that's good to hear. I will check out Omi Palone on Facebook.

We are all set now to move beginning of October and very much looking forward to it!

Ciao for now!

Zubblers