Dentist (emergency) - free or not? what if tooth needs to be pulled?

hello!

so, I've been living in Malta for 7 months now and I developed some major problems with a tooth that already bothered me in the past. Here's something I still don't get - also my maltese co-workers couldn't really tell me:
I have a social security number that entitles me to free treatment at the hospital?!
What about the dentist? What if I have an emergency.. to be honest, I tried to ignore it for much to long and I have in fact something one might consider an emergency, I'm pretty sure what remains of my tooth needs to be pulled out to avoid an infection.

Dummie question - WHAT DO I DO?

pay at some dentist or go to the hospital? Where I come from dental care is free.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, If you are entitled to free health care, I am not sure about just a NI number, I think you will need you Maltese ID/e-residency card? Then you can have check up's, scale and polishes and extractions done at the hospital. For a check up, there is a 13 month waiting list. You just visit the dental department at the hospital, with your ID card and book.

If you need an emergency appointment, you will be seen the same day. You will need to be there no later than 8 in the morning, where you will sit and wait to be seen.

If you require other work, as in root fillings, crowns etc, unless you have a 'pink card' (low income) you will have to visit a private dentist. You could however, ask to be seen by the teaching clinic, all treatment is free, however, you would pay a laboratory fee if crowns were involved. It is also subject to your treatment plan being of use to the dental students.

Caroline

thank you for your swift and helpful reply! :)

Hi scareglow,

havinbg a tooth pulled by a private dentist will cost you around 50 € ( I just had to have a tooth pulled).

Generally speaking dental treatment in Malta is not covered.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Dental treatment is covered. Everyone, who is entitled to free health care will receive free dental. Had you gone to the dental department at hospital as an emergency, you would have had the tooth extracted for free.

Caroline

Hi Caroline,

I personally have private health insurance (as probably quite a few expats) so I opted for the wording 'generally speaking'.

I would not consider pulling a tooth as a really preferential proof of a free dental service. Look at many Maltese set of teeth and you will understand what I mean -)))

Some , like Mr. Bean, actually do it themselves -)))

Cheers
Ricky

Ricky

Compared to many EU countries, Malta is blessed with it's free treatment. From what I know, (and I am studying dental/oral health care,) Malta is the only country I know in the EU, where everybody, young, old, rich or poor, all get basic treatment free.

It is a shame but the state of the nations teeth, is not down to availability in free dental care as such but dental health  education reaching the people of Malta.

Unfortanatly, things are likely to go down hill now, as once apon a time, there were dental chairs in the polyclinics. Now it is all at the hospital, making it even harder for people to access.

All patients on low incomes are entitled to ALL treatment, fillings etc.

Caroline

Hi Caroline,

a country with really 'free' basic dental treatment is Germany! Not just for people on 'low income' and without waiting lists.

Whether it has to do with information about dental health availability or with the availability of free dental health care but the easily to observe fact is that I don't know of a country with worse teath than Malta ( for people over a certain age maybe without means or will to do something about it).

You have a task in front of you to change teething problems here in Malta.

If basic dental treatment means basically pulling teeth that explains a lot ! -)))

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Yes, I will have my work cut out!

Germany pay for their dental, it is taken out of their wages and the employer contributes too, very much like NI stamps.
In Malta, it comes out of the NI stamp, nothing extra is paid from their wages.

I have to say, that Malta is almost unique in this way....

Caroline

Hi Caroline,

the payslips I have show a 10 % deduction at the end of the month on the amount paid out.!

The 10% deduction is called NI deduction.

See also:

http://www.ird.gov.mt/services/sscrates.aspx

So I wouldn't exactly say it's free here in Malta. I'm sure the amount collected does not cover the costs though - like in most countries.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky ,

Most countries have a national insurance scheme. This is to cover the costs of health, loss of work and retirement.

Each countries government can then decide to allocate out of that fund how much goes where.

In the case of dental many eu countries vary greatly.

Germany pays a separate, compulsive insurance just for dental.

Many other eu countries provide basic nhs  dentistry out of the NI stamp, however most countries only provide for under 18 and sometimes the poor. Only 2 or 3 provide a full health care nhs plan for everyone. Doctors, hospital and dental.

Making Malta quite lucky.

The problem with their teeth does not come down to poor availability or poor dentistry. it comes down to lack of priority in the persons life. it is a solution to that which is needed

Caroline

Hi Caroline,

'Germany pays a separate, compulsive insurance just for dental'

- I'm not sure where you got that from but you certainly don't pay separate for a compulsive dental insurance ( I'm paying contributions in Germany so I should be in the know).

The health insurance part of the SSC in Germany is 15.5 % of your income of which the employee pays 8,3 %. It includes dental treatment but there is no separate compulsory dental insurance.

But you still did not answer why you consider health insurance including emergency dental treatment (like pulling teeth) in Malta as 'free' when everybody in Malta should be paying NI contributions if they are working and these are certainly deducted from your wage. Just like Germany !

The Maltese NI differentiates between non-contributors and contributors. So most are actually paying for the benefits of NI including health treatment. What is not said is how much of the contributions go towards health,unemployment or retirement.

Nothing is 'free' in life ...except  ...

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Sorry, I got a bit confused over the copayments that are made. As well as the 15.5% don't you have to pay 10 euro per quater to see a dentist? You also have to pay for any crown or bridge work?

You are right that nothing is for free but I will stand my ground in thinking that, for 10% of your income, you are covered for health, dental, sickness, unemployment, maternity leave, pension etc here in Malta and, it is certainly better than most other EU countries in providing for a nation as a whole.

Austria, Same as Germany (ish)

Finland, 56% financed by public, 36% by state (tax.)

Greece, same as Malta (ish)

Italy, suppose to be like Malta but with more treatments available but most regions only offer the same as Malta.

Spain, Just like Malta.

Sweden, Free up to the age of 19. Then issued with 2 vouchers a year to spend on dental. Most of the other scandinavian countries, I believe work the same way.

UK, no free dental care (unless unemployed or pregnant)

Caroline

Just to confirm. My tooth was extracted today in Mater Dei for free (it's still pain in the left side, my god). They confirm that for all other treatment I should go to the private clinic or provide them with a 'pink card' (confirmation of the low income, as far as I understand)

Spiridonov wrote:

Just to confirm. My tooth was extracted today in Mater Dei for free (it's still pain in the left side, my god). They confirm that for all other treatment I should go to the private clinic or provide them with a 'pink card' (confirmation of the low income, as far as I understand)

Yes that's right. You can have a check up, scale and polish or extractions done at the hospital...Or you could have asked to be seen at the teaching clinic for the rest of your treatment, without charge for fillings, root treatments, without being a pink card holder.

I wish people would ask to go to the teaching clinic...We need patients!!

coxf0001 wrote:

Whom should I ask for it? :)

Spiridonov wrote:
coxf0001 wrote:

Whom should I ask for it? :)

When you went today and if they said you needed more treatment, you should have asked then. Problem is, you have to put your foot down in asking.

If you like, I may be able to get you in. If you give me your name and id card number in a private message, I can look at the treatment plan and pass your details onto the dentist in charge on Wednesday. If the students are short of the treatment you need, then they will take you. (that is if they recorded the treatment needed?)

We have been told that we can generate our own patients at the moment, as we don't have any!!

Do you have to have already been seen at Mater Dei or somewhere before you can get some treatment where you are cox?

rainbow3 wrote:

Do you have to have already been seen at Mater Dei or somewhere before you can get some treatment where you are cox?

Hi,

Yes, technically you have to be seen at the hospital but we are so short of patients, mainly us (hygienists) and year 3 dental students, which do mainly fillings. Older years tend to do treatment according to the cases they need for their case log.

However, recently, there 'seems' to be a breakdown in communication between departments and our waiting list is now none.

So, we were told, last week, we could generate our own patients. I have booked family in but then I know what they needed. As for 'random' patients, I am going to give it a go on Wednesday!

So I will let you know.

The students are taught to a very high standard. Your appointments will be longer in length and you may need 1 or 2 extra but it is all free (crowns, dentures and bridges are charged at the laboratory costs.)
Modern materials and techniques are used and I feel the level of care is excellent ;)

Caroline

Okay, thankyou Caroline :)

sounds like a great idea