DRIVING OUT OF KSA

I'm going to take my first road trip, out of the Kingdom, to Bahrain pretty soon and was just wondering whether any of you wonderful people knew what this entails.

I've heard that there's a mountain of paperwork to sort out so that you don't get turned back at the border.

BTW. I've got my exit visa. I was more interested in what paperwork will be required for the car (Company Supplied) and does Saudi insurance provide cover in other GCC countries?

1. Companies know the format of typical document.. (my company arranged it in a day time.
2. Yes your insurance covers ( but they will do their own for your exit period additionally 15 riyals for two days ).
3. There is nothing to hesitate, all easy..
4. Be sure that you have multiple visa ! Not only exit(single)

Thanks Aticus,

I've got a letter from my company allowing me to take the car out of the country and I've got my multiple entry/exit visa.

I wasn't quite sure whether there was some other governmental documetation required.

We hope you have fun while your gone!  :cheers:

I'm envious :mad:

CAF :cheers:

Yes, I'll deffinitely be having one or two Pepsi's :lol:

Aticus has got it.  I do this a couple of times a month.

Make sure you have your letter, car registration and driver's license. 

Watch the cars in front of you to see which window is which; one just gives you a piece of paper, one is to get stamped out, one to get stamped in to Bahrain, get in the uninsured line and pay 15SAR for your insurance, and get your paper stamped too...

Just watch the guys in front of you.

And be prepared to wait, wait, wait, if you go during a busy time.  Sometimes it takes hours to get through.

Thanks Misterstretch!

I've heard tales of the wait to get over the Causeway. I'm sure it's worth it.

I had a letter from my company, another from Wallan who I'm buying the car from with my other paperwork, all taken to the traffic police to get a final document.
Don't know if it's a necessity for you.
Enjoy. (1kg of bacon please).
Dave

When driving out of Saudi we generally aim to leave early morning (eg 6 am) so we hit the border before a lot of the traffic.

I'm going to aim to get out of work fairly swiftly on Wednesday but I'm pretty resigned to the fact that by the time I get to the causeway there's going to be a long wait. Better take some games etc for the children and make sure that everyone goes to the toilet before we go.

jillndave wrote:

(1kg of bacon please). Dave

Pork!?!?!  Confiscated at the border on the way back, if they find it.

I now buy turkey bacon (50% less fat) and turkey kielbasa and smoked sausage for the grill...no worries about having it confiscated since we learned the Arabic word for turkey.

Sandman wrote:

I'm going to aim to get out of work fairly swiftly on Wednesday but I'm pretty resigned to the fact that by the time I get to the causeway there's going to be a long wait. Better take some games etc for the children and make sure that everyone goes to the toilet before we go.

There is a public restroom on the Bahraini side just past the McDonald's.

Now I'm no advocate for breaking the law but, if the penalty for bringing Pork into the country is merely to have it confiscated then I can see why many people may choose to run that particular risk.

I imagine that the penalty for Alcohol and other illicit goods is significantly higher.

I for one will not be bringing back anything which is banned here in KSA. I consider myself a guest in this country and do not intend to abuse my guests hospitality :gloria

I don't think the same could be said for many guests in my country of origin.

Hang on!!!! I'm getting a bit political here. Back to the post....

How do I go about getting documents authorized by the Transport Police? Can it be done at the border?

It will be taken away.  You could be charged with a crime, but most likely won't be.

Alcohol in your vehicle will definitely result in a criminal charge and deportation. 

What documents do you need authorized, and if so, by your nearest police office would probably be recommended.  You would not want to come all the way here and have a problem.

By the way...learn which weekend is likely to be less crowded.  This weekend would be terrible to go as the locals got paid yesterday.

In three weeks, the weekend before they get paid, it's a breeze...we made it all the way back through in 6 minutes last weekend.  New record.

In three weeks, the weekend before they get paid, it's a breeze...we made it all the way back through in 6 minutes last weekend.  New record.

WOW!  Now THAT is some great information!  Thanks, Stretch!!

It is vital, for sure.  Never thought of mentioning it...but the roads were empty last weekend and yesterday I went down to Khobar (where the causeway terminates) and the roads were full of people.

Too many people.

After almost 10 months (it should be done in a month at most), they completed several new passport check cabins, so it accelerated the overall passing traffic. It is a good new for you..