Menu
Expat.com

Apartment rental and transport in Hamburg

Last activity 29 October 2010 by Floyd3511

Jam9

Hi!

I am wondering: can someone give me an idea of how much it would cost (average/range) to rent an apartment in Hamburg with the estimate including all utilities necessary (such as water, electricity, and whatever else is involved)?  Also, how is the public transport there?  Would it be imminent to have a private vehicle or is the public transit sufficient to get around and timely?

Finally, any websites you suggest where I can start looking at apartments?

I am planning to move to Hamburg in May/June 2011 but I need to start looking at these details now!  :-)

Thank you for your help!!

Christine

Hi Jamila9! I suggest you to consult our Hamburg classifieds > accommodation section and have a look at this article: Accommodation in Germany there are some useful links.

Good luck.
Christine

Jam9

Hi Jamila9,

indeed Christin'es links were very useful to me smile.png Thanks again!
However, i can add to them to help you further.
[but if you're not fluent in German, i advise you to use google translate in your browser (Google Chrome), that can translate the whole page/site.

The sites below could be useful:
- http://www.hamburg.de/immobilien/
- http://www.hamburgimmobilie.de/
- http://www.immowelt.de/immobilien/immos … oid=108020
- http://www.immobilienscout24.de

I came across another forum which is very interesting also. Here you can search for many topics about houses, transport, jobs, language, life, etc...:

toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showforum=92

Hope all this helps! wink.png

Cheers and Good luck!
Stephane

Jam9

Thank you very much, Stephane and Christine!  This information is very usefull!!

Floyd3511

Hi Jamila9,

Born in Hamburg as I would have gladly also given some tips. But you have already received some good advice, so that my tips are likely to have become obsolete. If you'd care to stay central, I can recommend the following neighborhoods: Hamburg-Eimsbüttel, Altona, Eppendorf, and the hill district.
I now live in Brunswick, but I'm often visiting Hamburg to visit my friends / parents. It is always very nice to be in my home. And I wish you a nice time in Hamburg!

Volker

P.S. I'm always looking for new friends ....... wink.png

Jam9

Hello, Volker: Many thanks for your feedback.  Definitely not obsolete information!  Be well.

Floyd3511

Hello Jamila9, if you still could use another Hamburg-tips, I'll help you very much. And I can improve my English skills. I am sure that Hamburg is looking forward to a very up .... But there never forget your umbrella wink.png
Many Greetings from Braunschweig to Cameroon

Volker

Jam9

Hey,

Anyone knows which region is better & safer to live between Bergedorf and Wandsbek? How is the cost of living compared, and what about the criminality rate?
Any personal experience story to tell us?

Cheers
Stephane

Floyd3511

Ho Stephane, I can not tell you what region between Wandsbek and Bergedorf is better. You can not answer this question. I would personally favor Wandsbek. But that's just my own opinion. Definitely, the Hamburg-based housing market is very competitive because there are too many empty expensive apartments on the one hand and on the other hand, there are far too few cheap apartments. Rents have become very expensive; especially in the popular districts (Altona Eppendorf, Wandsbek, Hamburg, Barmbek, Sternschanze).
I can't say which is the safest. This I know too little the crime.
I hope I can help some you with my details.
Good luck!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Hamburg

• Accommodation in Hamburg
    Accommodation in Hamburg

Are you looking for accommodation in Hamburg? This probably means that you are ready to move to this unique city ...

• Accommodation in Germany
    Accommodation in Germany

Despite the COVID-19-induced economic crisis and thanks to the government's and central bank's relief ...

• Working in Hamburg
    Working in Hamburg

Located in Northern Germany, near the mouth of the Elbe River, Hamburg is the country's second-largest city ...

• Getting married in Germany
    Getting married in Germany

Non-German citizens can get married in Germany, whether to a German citizen or another foreign national. However, ...

• Accommodation in Dresden
    Accommodation in Dresden

Stretching over some 328km² in the Saxony region, Dresden is one of Germany's largest cities by area and ...

• Opening a bank account in Germany
    Opening a bank account in Germany

Expats who plan to stay in Germany for more than 3 months would benefit from opening a bank account with a German ...

• Entry requirements for Germany
    Entry requirements for Germany

Nationals of the EU and EEA can travel to Germany as short-term visitors without restrictions, with a national ...

• Work visas for Germany
    Work visas for Germany

Germany is one of Europe's best countries to develop your career and gain international work experience. Many ...

All of Hamburg's guide articles