Menu
Expat.com

Laotion wedding

Last activity 12 February 2016 by Eman23

GuestPoster146

Can I wear black to a Lao wedding?

stumpy

At my wedding in Laos no one of the 250 guests wore black. The guests were mainly Lao with only 6 expats. Have been to other weddings and can not recall seeing anyone wearing black either.

As a suggestion why not get a Lao skirt  and top and wear that. This will be well accepted by the Lao.

GuestPoster146

Too short notice.  I just had a baby and barely any of my clothes fit me. I wanted to wear my long black skirt with mauve (pinkish)  coloured mini dress on top. I would have liked to wear my own traditional dress (jubah/kebaya) but I'm too fat now hmm.png

Eman23

I only saw a few weddings and didn't really look at the clothes, but can't really imagine that you will offend anyone with wearing that. But maybe I'm wrong. The next wedding for me will probably the wedding between my wife and me :-)

GuestPoster146

Yeah it should be okay, hopefully. I'll let you all know if it was a super bad move, haha. And congrats on your engagement Eman23!

Eman23

Kop chai. For Lao law we are married now.

I don't think you will upset the people... I was also told by someone that wearing white at a wedding is not a good idea, but my wife told me that's not a problem. I guess there might be differences in this in the different areas of this big country.