Menu
Expat.com

Sports in Taiwan

Last activity 02 August 2016 by TimoteoRy

Priscilla

Hello everyone,

The Olympic Games are now just a few days away and we would like to talk about sports.

What sports are the most popular and/or unusual in Taiwan?

Are sports facilities easily accessible there? Where and how can one find sports clubs in the region?

Are there sports events regularly held in the country?

And you? What is your favourite sport? Which one(s) do you practice in Taiwan?

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

hauthomme

Baseball is a popular, pro sport in Taiwan that has been tainted with insider betting. Basketball is also somewhat popular but not as high profile.

Plenty of Taiwanese play badminton, swim, golf, ping pong, hike, jog and even river trace. Soccer also attracts a small following.

Lots of older people practice tai-chi early morning, with organized clubs frequently seen practicing traditional varieties of martial arts in parks.

However the "most popular" sport may be mahjong which is sometimes called the "National Sport of Taiwan" that suits people more interested in mental than physical exercise.

hauthomme

There are city-owned community centers in Taipei run by contractors offering swimming pool, gyms and badminton courts, yoga facilities etc. Admission is very affordable: NT$110 for swimming and NT$50 to the gym equipped with various fitness machines.

Jamesalansmith

Well, they play Chinese Yo Yo, which is huge and unattached. Whether this is Olympics worthy, I couldn't say, but it's fun and when done well, very graceful. Tai Chi and Gung Fu are health and self defense exercises which seem to predominate their life-philosophy or Confuscian/Buddhist inspired  discipline and meditation. I see elders practicing Tai Chi early in the mornings and it is great to watch! They emulate Americans there and baseball is big, with little leagues and pros that rival or even excel over their US counterparts. Hiking is huge here, and I am a hiker. The trails are all well worn and maintained and it is elevated to a social or even spiritual level there, with small temples or little kiosks to have green tea, small snacks and conversation. The women, I call "dancing ladies" will go to the parks at night, bring music and dance as a team, also graceful or even beautiful if well executed. This civilization is hardwired for exercise, you don't see many obese people and I have seen people much older than me, breezing past me on very steep trails with crooked logs and ropes for safety on some of the near vertical climbs which abound there!

liquidsport penghu

HI ,

Funny you should mention the  Olympics -  I am here in the  Olympic  village - This is our third Olympics in the  Windsurfing  RS:X  class-   I am the  coach of the  Taiwan Athlete from  Penghu  Islands.  This is where I live and operate a sports B&B  catering for  all sorts of water sports and activities.

Here is  RIO the  waters are pretty  dirty -  far from the  pristine  waters of  Penghu  Islands -   Have a bottle of   hand sterilizer on the  coach  boat to be safe -  along with the  Mosquito repellent.

Racing for  us  starts on the 8th -  Go  Taiwan.

TimoteoRy

Hi Priscilla, badminton is pretty popular in Taiwan.  I got two racquets myself, along with two shuttle cocks, those are the balls they use for the sport.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Taiwan

• Leisure activities in Taiwan
    Leisure activities in Taiwan

Taiwan has a lot to offer to travelers as well as expats when it comes to leisure. There are activities throughout ...

• Working in Taiwan
    Working in Taiwan

Working in Taiwan depends on your skill set and the job you seek. Expats can find a wide range of jobs around the ...

• Driving in Taiwan
    Driving in Taiwan

To drive any vehicle in Taiwan, you are required to have a license. This includes renting a car or scooter. All ...

• Banking and finance in Taiwan
    Banking and finance in Taiwan

Whether you're a business owner, a student, or a foreign professional living in Taiwan, having a local bank ...

• Getting married in Taiwan
    Getting married in Taiwan

Taiwan has the lowest birth rate in the world presently, and that declining birth rate, experts claim, is closely ...

• Phones and internet in Taiwan
    Phones and internet in Taiwan

Relocating to a foreign country like Taiwan can be an exciting yet challenging experience. However, with the ...

• Accommodation in Taiwan
    Accommodation in Taiwan

Taiwan can be a challenging place to find affordable and suitable accommodation, being a densely populated ...

• The health system in Taiwan
    The health system in Taiwan

Taiwan has single-payer healthcare for citizens and legal residents. The healthcare program was launched in 1995 ...

All of Taiwan's guide articles