Moving to San Miguel, good idea or bad idea?

My wife and I are planning to come to San Miguel for the first time to explore the possibility of moving there on a permanent basis. Any advice or helpful tips would be appreciated.

Hello jbills1953 and welcome to Expat.com :cheers:

While waiting for members who have already made the move to tip in, I invite yo to check out the san Miguel de Allende Forum to gather some infos from experiences shared.

You may also want to check out articles from our living in Mexico guide to better prepare your expatriation project.

Wish you all the best

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

I moved to San Miguel one year ago and it's a magical city.  Unfortunately it has become too popular since it has gotten so much publicity.  It is still magical but bring money! 

To buy a house he near Centro figure on paying a starting price of half a million US.  Rents have gone up even more than home prices because many regular full time rentals have been turned into short term vacation rentals and some have been turned into boutique hotels.

Don't get me wrong, I still love San Miguel and it's a great place to retire because expats are friendly and the city welcomes them.  Just come check it out with a realistic open mind.
Kate :)

We are moving to SMA in August. We purchased a house outside of Centro ( too expensive and too noisy) in the Independencia area. It is about a 20 minute walk to Centro and is a mostly Mexican neighborhood with several expats in the area, as well. The house was $215k USD and is two bedroom and a den with a courtyard. The closer you are to Centro the more expensive the house. There are many neighborhoods to choose from, depending on your lifestyle and your budget. Check out www.point2homes.com for listings. Restaurants can be expensive or cheap, but the food is always good! Taxes are low $225 a year on a home. Come for a year and rent and explore, that is the best way to know if this is the right place for you!
Good luck in your search!

What are rents like in SMA area? We do not plan to buy, we own property here in Canada and will use the income to fund our lifestyle until pensions kick in in 8 years. Renting seems better also in cose we don't like SMA area for whatever reason

Advise???

It's a very good idea to rent at first. My wife and I have travelled Mexico for 10 years  (RVing) then 4 years flying before moving as permanent residents in La Peñita de Jaltemba. We are now considered as Non-residents for Revenue Canada (only pensions revenues, no proprety, no stocks) thus paying a taxe rate of 15% but will be much less once we apply for article 217 on the NR income tax return reducing it to about 8% my wife and 10% for me.

Also, you should visit other areas for making sure SMA is OK for you.

Buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC.

Dear KleeRodgers,

What is your rent / cost of living budget?

Do you speak Spanish? If so, you have a better chance at finding more affordable rentals.

Have you come down to Mexico to explore different city options?

I highly recommend it over going on what others say on blogs like this one. People have their own opinions on everything.

I have lived in SMA for 7 years now and in other cities in Mexico. Rents (mostly in USD), groceries, and services in general are higher than other cities in Mexico. If you are on a tight budget, SMA might not be right for you.

Hope this helps!
Melanie

total budget for my wife and I is $3,000 a month, we have no debt, so this is money we can actually spend to live on

You can live well here on $3000 / month. Shop at local Mexican markets for flowers, vegetables, fruit, meat.

I am Mexican and I have been here 10 years with Canadian husband and a 12 year old daughter.

thanks for the nice reply  :)

Melanie_In_Mexico wrote:

Dear KleeRodgers,

What is your rent / cost of living budget?

$3,000 a month

Do you speak Spanish? If so, you have a better chance at finding more affordable rentals.

Poco

Have you come down to Mexico to explore different city options?

No

I highly recommend it over going on what others say on blogs like this one. People have their own opinions on everything.

Agreed, but I do have friends that live in SMA and love it, others live in Lake Chapala and also love it

I have lived in SMA for 7 years now and in other cities in Mexico. Rents (mostly in USD), groceries, and services in general are higher than other cities in Mexico. If you are on a tight budget, SMA might not be right for you.

$3,000 a month CAN

Hope this helps!
Melanie

The link you have provided only has Toronto Canada homes

You might give Guanajuato City a look.  Less expensive than SMA, is the state capitol, World Heritage City, has many cultural activities, a full-time professional symphony orchestra, and the vibrancy of a large university, small but active expat population. Beautiful place!

you can live very comfortable with 3000 dollars a month but has to be a little bit out of San Miguel. Also land is cheaper outside of San Miguel. You just have to be a little bit more adventurous.

YOu may want to research crime. Guanojauto State is now # 2 for crime. We just had 5 murders one block from our apt here in SMA. 2500 troops being brought in there is drug cartel and gang turf war now in SMA area. We are leaving for USA.

Good idea!!  Move to Chicago or Los Angeles or New York City because there is no crime in any of those places. Let's fan the flames of paranoia and play one of the favorite games of the Internet. The “jump to conclusions” game is fun, fun, fun !!!   If those people died at the hands of the cartel, they were targeted for their involvement. If you aren't part of the drug trade or a customer of the drug trade the statistics are way in your favor in terms of danger. Are you also planning on stopping driving or riding in vehicles?  They are among the most dangerous activities on the planet and i would recommend that crossing the street is a very risky behavior as well. Best of luck with your relocation.

It's Guanajuato.  You're welcome.
And 2500 troops!  Wow!  Impressive.  Please let us know where that took place so we can avoid the area where YOU live.

I lived in SMA from 2012 to 2016. I left because SMA is lousy value for money.

Rents have doubled within a 6 year time span. Street trash and dog poop has really gotten bad. Pollution from too many cars, noise pollution and light pollution. Far to crowded with people and cars.

The previous poster was not fanning the flames. Sma has gotten downright dangerous! Most homeowners there have thier head buried in the sand.. they are stubborn! You do NOT have to be part of the drug cartel to be a crime victim! As for driving a car... No.. I would not drive a car from sma in any direction. A first class bus is far safer.. But still has a small risk.

Life is not about worry. Its about managing risk. Getting the facts is important.

I visited sma this past Christmas. It was a sad sight indeed. Not the vibe it was in 2012.

The whole world is obviously changing. Why settle for just one location? How about Singapore in the winter and Col. Condesa, in Mexico City, in the summertime? That's a fun combo!

Different strokes for different folks

Prairiegarden wrote:

YOu may want to research crime. Guanojauto State is now # 2 for crime. We just had 5 murders one block from our apt here in SMA. 2500 troops being brought in there is drug cartel and gang turf war now in SMA area. We are leaving for USA.

I'm curious as to the details of your claim. While I do not live in San Miguel permanently I do visit my house in San Antonio regularly and speak with both neighbors and friends from different colonias. I've tried to do research on this event you vaguely describe in both the San Miguel Times as well as The Atencion and there is nothing similar to what you mention. In which colonia did this occur and on what date? If you are going to post such dramatic news perhaps you can provide facts that will allow us to do our research.

Yes crime rates have gone up in San Miguel but I still feel safer there than many of the cities I have lived in and visit here across the border in the US. The crime that is increasing the most as I understand it is break ins and muggings. The world is changing. Be the least attractive target. Be aware of your surroundings.

Run if you must but if you do the research you will likely find that somewhere in the past of the "sanctuary" you end up in, there was some crime that made everyone say "I never thought it would happen here."

Best of luck no matter where you end up.

The San Miguel times article I mentioned was regarding the murder rate for Guanajuato state in total not any particular incident in SMA.

LaloSMA wrote:

The San Miguel times article I mentioned was regarding the murder rate for Guanajuato state in total not any particular incident in SMA.

I hope my response was not taken as directed to you LaloSMA, I appreciate you citing the source though, an article I read also.

Not at all. I wanted to share the info for all whom are concerned. I share your view in safety as it applies everywhere not just Mexico.

I've heard that Happkamper is a troll.  He/she sure sounds like one.

Maybe not a troll but definitely a person with unrealistic expectations from both a financial and sociologic perspective. I don't know many that would list “dog poop” among the major reasons to move away from a city. I also think saying that SMA is a bad value for the dollar is a very relative statement. Compared to San Francisco, San Miguel is dirt cheap. Compared to Accra, Ghana, San Miguel would be ridiculously expensive. It's all a matter of perspective. So while happykamper has a unique perspective, he or she is entitled to their opinion, I just don't think it fits the majority viewpoint or reflects much research and consideration of individual means and tolerances.

You're right.

I have friends visiting SMA. In terms of Air Quality, I hear it pretty poor.
A quote from another blog.....

Re: Air quality 
Feb 5, 2019, 12:21 AM

I've been in San Miguel off and on for 2 months and there is definitely a pollution problem here. After spending time in Guadalajara and other areas and being fine until I come back I realized it's not just in my mind. GDL is almost as big as NYC but I didn't experience anything like this. The air here smells toxic a lot of the time. Hard to place the source but probably a combo of things. The biggest giveaway is every night my fingernails are full of black soot and I'm not doing any kind of gardening. Not to mention black or bloody snot and seeing people wearing face masks on the street

Wow, are we talking about the same place here?  Black fingernails, black snot?  Can't say I have experienced any of this, nor have I heard any other expats mention it.
You want to experience pollution?  Go to Houston, TX and stay for a few days.  THAT's pollution.  SMA is a picnic in a park.

Black snot !  That's crazy talk. Houston is bad but can't hold a candle to Gary, Ind and people don't have black snot there. It's unbelievable what kind of fairy tales people will make up. YES there is pollution in SMA just like everywhere in the world. I say “Get a grip” on what's truly important and let's move forward and enjoy what little time we get on this planet.

I own a home in SMA that we visit frequently.  We purchased it several years ago an yes SMA has grown  quite a bit since we purchased.  Along with growth there will always be some adverse factors, as in any city whether it be San Miguel or a city in the US.
However, San Miguel It is still the city we fell in love with and our plans to move there  permanently have never changed. We will be there next summer on a permanent basis with no apprehension.

denisejm wrote:

still the city we fell in love with and our plans to move there  permanently have never changed. We will be there next summer on a permanent basis with no apprehension.

I echo the sentiment. We purchased 3 years ago and get there as often as possible. It keeps us grounded and satisfied until we too can pull up roots and be there full time.

SteveandMarty wrote:

I've heard that Happkamper is a troll.  He/she sure sounds like one.

And who did you hear this ridiculous statement from? A troll usually is the OP and normally gives very short and emotionally charged points.
Please refrain from name calling. Thanks.

LaloSMA wrote:

Maybe not a troll but definitely a person with unrealistic expectations from both a financial and sociologic perspective. I don't know many that would list “dog poop” among the major reasons to move away from a city. I also think saying that SMA is a bad value for the dollar is a very relative statement. Compared to San Francisco, San Miguel is dirt cheap. Compared to Accra, Ghana, San Miguel would be ridiculously expensive. It's all a matter of perspective. So while happykamper has a unique perspective, he or she is entitled to their opinion, I just don't think it fits the majority viewpoint or reflects much research and consideration of individual means and tolerances.

You need to READ my comments. I mentioned dog poop... I never suggested it was a major reason I left!

Of course my statement is relative! I've lived around the world and I still think that SMA is poor value for money and even more so with about 50 killings in that tiny beautiful town so far this year! As for your comment about "much research".. Iived in SMA for 4 years! ja ja ja.

As for whether my own expectations are realistic is a really silly comment. We all have our own way of looking at a situation. However I do believe that's my viewpoints are shared by many other sma residents who still live there or left in recent years.

SMA is a beautiful town. It's got lots of issues. So have many (all maybe) other retirement locations around the world. Anyone moving to SMA thinking it's a safe and inexpensive place to live really needs to dig a little deeper. We all have different tolerances for certain criteria in our new chosen area and for me crime is at the VERY VERY top of my Low tolerance.

You definitely don't want to move to Chicago then, ja ja ja. By the way, you might want to read my comment more closely. I was supporting your right to have a contrary viewpoint while offering perspective on the wide spectrum of opinions related to personal priorities involving cost, cleanliness and safety.

Statistically I live in one of the most dangerous and overpopulated, polluted cities in North America (according to the media). But I have lived here in peace, comfort and health for 45 years. Statistics and a persons personal experience do not tell the tale for everyone. Different strokes for different folks. I hope wherever you choose to be, that it “ checks all the boxes” for you.

So.. Any if you guys still have your head in the sand about San Miguel de Allende and the level of crime? I hope not... You'll live longer by keeping informed and alert. The killings have totalled 77 so far in 2019. I heard the automatic weapon fire when the two cops were killed a month ago.

I was in sma for a one month visit. Glad to be out of there. I told you do! Ja ja ja

Hello, I'm curious how this past year of Covid-19 has affected SMA regarding real estate values and overall crime issues, the later if at all.

It's not a good idea it's a great idea. SMA is a safe town in Mexico. I was there for a month and will be back in a month for a year. Crime is on the outskirts. SMA is not just the Centro and adjoining areas. The crime is in outlying small areas where ex-pats rarely venture that are officially a part of SMA. That is the reality despite what these Chicken Littles are telling you. If you're that  afraid of crime there is no place safe for you other than an isolation chamber.