How to bring your car to Papua New Guinea

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to Papua New Guinea, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in Papua New Guinea?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in Papua New Guinea, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in Papua New Guinea?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

Hi there,

I'm moving to POM in a couple of months so am no expert but have heard that it's incredibly expensive to import a vehicle into PNG - you pay import tax of around 110% of the vehicles value or so I've heard...

Some locals or expats may be able to shed some more light on it for you.  If you search PNG used car websites you'll see that prices are very expensive and I believe the high cost of importation is the key reason for that.

Cheers,
David

Thanks David for your inputs.

Very much appreciated  :)

Bhavna