Menu
Expat.com

Negotiating salary and benefits in Vietnam

Last activity 30 October 2019 by albens

Bhavna

Hello everyone,

Better job prospects in Vietnam can most certainly be an incentive to leave your country of origin. Securing a contract with the right salary and benefits for you can be crucial to make your move successful.

Is salary and benefits negotiation regarded as common practice in Vietnam? If yes, how should you go about negotiating your package (during the hiring process, on a monthly/yearly basis...)?

What do you expect to be included in terms of benefits in your package? Which benefits do you deem necessary in Vietnam?

Is tax on the salary of an expat applicable in Vietnam or do you have to turn to tax bodies in your country of origin to pay your taxes?

Do the exchange rates of currencies impact your salary as an expat?

Looking back, are there some changes you would have made during the negotiation of your salary and benefits package?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

XV2PS

As many questions, I will quote you:

"Is salary and benefits negotiation regarded as common practice in Vietnam? If yes, how should you go about negotiating your package (during the hiring process, on a monthly/yearly basis...)?"

All shall be done before/during hiring. Do not negotiate once all has been agreed....

"What do you expect to be included in terms of benefits in your package? Which benefits do you deem necessary in Vietnam?"

Beside traditional/compulsory benefits, you can negotiate housing, transportation, health insurance package, school fees, extra days off,...

"Is tax on the salary of an expat applicable in Vietnam or do you have to turn to tax bodies in your country of origin to pay your taxes?"

Check if your country does have double tax agreement with VN. If yes, you only pay PIT in VN. Usually salaries are gross.

"Do the exchange rates of currencies impact your salary as an expat?"

Expats can have USD contracts paid in USD .

ian1955*

Vietnam is NOT a cheap place to live as an expat.  There are several components to negotiate before coming to Vietnam.  The cost of schooling is one of the highest in the world. If you have school going children, especially in high school, try and get yr company to pay the school fees.  If they dont, look elsewhere.  The cost of decent accommodation should be included in the package as well as a car with driver.  The other item to negotiate is a home leave ticket for you as a minimum but also for the entire family (within reason).  I would also say to negotiate at least one week additional weeks leave as you will find that you need to get out of Vietnam from time to time for a few days to recharge. Vietnam is NOT an easy place to live and work.  It is so unlike what you will be used to coming from a first world country.  Work ethic is different, conditions are different, the way business is done is different.  Dont underestimate these challenges.  I have been here for nearly 12 years and I still find it difficult. If you can succeed here you can succeed anywhere.  Also ask what support the company offers to the non working partner.  How do they assist you in your move to Vietnam.  What guidance and support do they offer. Hope this helps.

ian1955*

I should also add Medical Insurance with evacuation cover for all family members.  Company should pay all taxes and quote you a net after tax salary in USD, not in vnd!!!  If your company is not willing to do grant most of these itmes, my advice is to look at another country.  Dont come to Vietnam.  If you have to pay school fees and housing from your monthly salary, stay at home, you will be better off. Also negotiate an annula review. COL increases every year.

Sami virk

I want to find job in Phu Quoc I can speak English

rubikscube

Seems like you have the answers to most of the queries, as an expat living in Ho Chi Minh for a long time (with the experience with the hiring people as well), I can say you can always Negotiate on the salary. Just know that, in general, Vietnamese are very active and skilled in what they do. And companies often find it troublesome and costly to employ foreigners here. If you are (exceptionally) good you can always bargain with the salary prior to signing any contract. But keep in mind that the employer will always make a cost benefit analysis (Vietnamese or foreigners) when he or she will be talking to you.

bradwelljackson

Always ask how long your passport will be asked to be out of your hands. Make sure that they commit to giving you your passport back after a certain agreed upon amount of time.
   Also, ask about the work visa. If you have to go through the trouble of getting a work visa for two years, is this work visa going to cover you if you change jobs? Or, do you have to get a whole new work visa if you change jobs after one year?

Sami virk

I have my marriage visa here now for 5 years

macintyre

... and just what experience do you have with the Vietnam job market?

live here do, you?

know a lot of Viet employers? and job seekers?

do you know any vietnam expats and their job experiences?

kind regards

OceanBeach92107
macintyre wrote:

... and just what experience do you have with the Vietnam job market?

live here do, you?

know a lot of Viet employers? and job seekers?

do you know any vietnam expats and their job experiences?

kind regards

And what sort of experience do you have in the forum?

Know how to "quote", do you?

You were in such a rush to post a negative comment that you didn't even let us know the target of your barbs.

Thanks for the meaningless post.

albens

Thankyou very much

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Working in Vietnam
    Working in Vietnam

Anyone thinking about working in Vietnam is in for a treat. Compared to many Western countries, Vietnam's ...

• Setting up a business in Vietnam
    Setting up a business in Vietnam

Foreign entrepreneurs from across the globe have been landing across Asia for decades. In August, Harvard ranked ...

• Finding a job in Hanoi
    Finding a job in Hanoi

With Vietnam's new visa regulations, you will need to secure a job before entering the country. Opportunities to ...

• Working in Hanoi
    Working in Hanoi

The traditional capital of Vietnam is quickly becoming a professional's paradise. Attracting over 20,000 ...

• Working in Vietnam as a digital nomad
    Working in Vietnam as a digital nomad

Vietnam is emerging as a new popular destination for digital nomads and downshifters. As the prices in most Asian ...

• Internships in Vietnam
    Internships in Vietnam

Interning can be a wonderful eye-opening way to experience a new country, culture, and work climate in your ...

• The Vietnamese labor market
    The Vietnamese labor market

Depending on your industry and patience, finding a job in Vietnam can be a challenge. Many companies and local ...

• Working in Nha Trang
    Working in Nha Trang

The city of Nha Trang, located in the province of Khanh Hoa, thrives on tourism. If you are looking for a job in ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles