Seeking Info About Phan Rang, Nha Trang, Quy Nhon, etc.

Hello, I'm seeking people familiar with this part of the coast to chat with...  Just looking for some general information and people's opinions. I'm considering living in the area for a few years maybe.  Currently in Phan Rang for a couple of months but I plan to scout out other areas during that time.

Hey Bruce,

My name is Mark and I've been living in Quy Nhon for a little over four years. The city has gone through quite a few changes over that time, but I still like it the most of other parts of VN.

A couple items about the city. It's the provincial capital of Binh Dinh province and a level II city which basically means it has a population of a little more than 250k and has the best services in Binh Dinh province. 

Geographically, it's about midpoint between Da Nang and Nha Trang. There's an international airport,  train station and multiple bus lines to almost everywhere in VN. You have the sea to the east and mountains mostly to the west and south of the city. The temps are in the mid to upper 20's now and it can get up into the upper 30's in summer.

What I like about it is the people haven't been jaded like you find in the big cities, the cost of living is very reasonable, the local food is fresh and there are several places to get western food if you want.

As far as activities go, there are a couple hiking clubs, some of the expats go fishing,  you obviously have the sea and the mountains, or you can just chill at one of a hundred different coffee shops.

If you are looking for a teaching job there are also many legitimate English Centers to choose from.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the area.

All the best,

Mark

Hey Mark, thanks for your reply.  I'm in the process of making a list of questions..should I  PM you or just put them on this thread for all to see?

It sounds like a perfect environment really, but I'm liking Phan Rang quite a bit (except for the wind that seems to have just gotten bad the past week or so)...how long is it to Da Nang by train from there?  One point that is leaning me more towards that direction is the ability to go Da Nang, Hue, Hoi An for shorter cultural/socializing type trips...is that something you do pretty often yourself? 

In fact I will probably hop on a train in the next few days and come experience the area myself for a few days.  One immediate question is :  do cops bother foreigners on motorbikes in that area?  I'd like to ride around but I don't have a proper license...any issue you think?

just remember that when it is windy in Phan Rang, it is raining hard up north.  Learn to kitesurf and you will love Phan Rang.

If you want a quick break from Phan Rang, jump on a train and you can be in Nha Trang in less than 2 hrs.  It is so easy I frequently take day trips there.

Mgwyther wrote:

just remember that when it is windy in Phan Rang, it is raining hard up north.  Learn to kitesurf and you will love Phan Rang.

If you want a quick break from Phan Rang, jump on a train and you can be in Nha Trang in less than 2 hrs.  It is so easy I frequently take day trips there.

I checked into kitesurfing and these greedy operators are what my gramma would call "highway robbers"....no way I'm spending $600 just to try a sport for a day or two....give me a break.  I think that is the about the average yearly income for a lot of the farmers around here...a boatload of money...7 hours of lessons?  Who,y exactly, are these people used to dealing with?

I wouldn't mind a little rain...define "up north"...sounds nice to me.  I've been in the country for 2 months now and haven't seen a drop I don't think.

How long is the train from here to Quy Nhon?  I might try and do that tomorrow...

I take it you live in Phan Rang, then?  for how long?

yeah, I am a greedy kitesurf operator in Phan Rang.  Perhaps Quy Nhon is better for you.

good then perhaps you can explain the necessity of charging so much?  does this price include a private 28' boat with captain and crew for the day?  because that is about the cost of marlin fishing in Cabo, which can be split 4 ways too....I'd really like to know what is making these prices so high...

Hey Bruce,

You can post your questions here.

The train to DaNang takes between 5-6 hours. I don't go there very often, but I know lots of folks that do.

As I mentioned earlier I've been here for four years and have never been hassled by the police and I have a big bike. I haven't heard from any foreigner that have been pulled over by the police. I guess the key is don't do anything stupid and you won't have any problems.

All the best,

Mark

Bruce_M wrote:

How long is the train from here to Quy Nhon?  I might try and do that tomorrow...

The train for Quy Nhơn stops in Điêu Trì:

Ga Diêu Trì
https://maps.app.goo.gl/dfq69TV3vCakcfZR8

Then you catch a 20 minute cab or car hire into Quy Nhơn.

If you are in Phan Rang, you take the train from Tháp Chàm station:

Ga Tháp Chàm
https://maps.app.goo.gl/snfJrbdF29PUdFNr8

I just checked the schedules here and the quickest train takes a little over 5 hours:

www.vr. com.vn/en/customer-guidelines

Choose "purchase ticket"

If the language changes to Vietnamese, use the upper corner drop down box to toggle to English.

Confirm the captcha.

You don't have to purchase to get info, but you have to use the purchase link.

You can pay the same price at the station if you don't need a reservation.

Never pay anyone more than the ticket price listed on that site.

Some agents charge a 400% markup or more.

Bruce_M wrote:
Mgwyther wrote:

I checked into kitesurfing and these greedy operators are what my gramma would call "highway robbers"....no way I'm spending $600 just to try a sport for a day or two....give me a break.  I think that is the about the average yearly income for a lot of the farmers around here...a boatload of money...7 hours of lessons?  Who,y exactly, are these people used to dealing with?

Bruce_M wrote:

good then perhaps you can explain the necessity of charging so much?  does this price include a private 28' boat with captain and crew for the day?  because that is about the cost of marlin fishing in Cabo, which can be split 4 ways too....I'd really like to know what is making these prices so high...

They are used to dealing with you.

I mean tourists.

Until you've established yourself as a local and/or have gotten a Vietnamese friend to help you, you'll see high prices.

Isn't capitalism great?

Why do you assume you deserve low prices?

Somebody in Wisconsin may be looking for something to do on an upcoming visit to Vietnam, and for them, booking long distance, that price might make sense.

Instead of bashing a guy who is trying to earn the most he can, take the time to go meet him face-to-face.

That's how you get prices lower than the internet markup.

I don't "assume" anything.  I just react to what I find to be obscene...and some of these prices are just that...who did I "bash" anyways?  I simply asked him to explain what makes the prices so high...which he won't do because I'm right... 

Whatever.  I just wanted to try it out for a couple of hours and not pay 2 months rent for the "luxury"

But I will go to My Hoa and feel out the scene, talk to some Euros...I mean I agree with you there, always better to deal face-to-face.

thanks for the train info.   do these trains ever really sell out or should i just go to the station and buy it right when i want to go?

Good_Man wrote:

Hey Bruce,

You can post your questions here.

The train to DaNang takes between 5-6 hours. I don't go there very often, but I know lots of folks that do.

As I mentioned earlier I've been here for four years and have never been hassled by the police and I have a big bike. I haven't heard from any foreigner that have been pulled over by the police. I guess the key is don't do anything stupid and you won't have any problems.

All the best,

Mark

Mark, you can see why I'm looking to chat with someone more privately without the peanut gallery and rude comments...would you mind terribly if i just instant messaged or emailed you personally?

Bruce_M wrote:

thanks for the train info.   do these trains ever really sell out or should i just go to the station and buy it right when i want to go?

Yes, your Choice of seating may sell out.

It has happened to me before, especially in the weeks before and after Tet is when I had my bad experiences with sold out trains

Hello everyone,

Some posts have been removed from this thread. Can you please respect each other and avoid off topic comment?

Thank you,
Christine