What's your take riding a motorcycle in the Philippines as an expat?

It's dangerous.  Haven't you watched the way the motorcycles/scooters drive here?  That being said..knowing that it's dangerous is the first step in avoiding the danger.  Example, in the US I would ride my Harely at speeds in excess of 130 mph, there is no  way I would do that here in the Philippines!  They have holes and rocks and cracks everywhere.  That being stated, I would certainly ride a scooter here not a motorcycle for me the traffic is to horrific and all the shifting would get tedious.  My balance and such aren't once what they were, but I believe I could handle it.  I would definitely be careful as the motorcycle drivers here are absolute idiots and no one seems to obey traffic laws.  If you do decide to drive a motorcycle/scooter, just be careful and don't drive like some of the idiot locals.  One more thing, I can't believe there aren't more traffic fatalities here.  I believe it's due to they slow traffic speeds.  Even if you crash here (as long as you wearing a helmet) you'll probably only be traveling at max 40 kph and possibly survive.  That being stated, if you run into an immovable object....yeah, no.

-@whackerdog123

During a visit in1992, I bought the family a new Honda Dream. I drove it right after buying it. Motorbikes did not require special motorbike endorsement back then and that was the last time I ever drove a motorbike here. It's not a matter of if but when you crash, the only variable is the severity. That purchase gave the entire family incentive to get their licenses lol. But even in 1992 I didn't like the safety issues. Today I wouldn't even think about driving one but we do have a car and SUV.

I love driving around our province... You just have to ride defensively every second.... because you never know what dog, kid, chicken etc. Is going to run out in front of you! 

@AussiePete2 I'm a 60 lifetime motorcycle rider, planning my first trip to Philippines. Looking for someone with good information on riding in Philippines

Thank you

@AussiePete2

Im 60 lifetime motorcycle rider. Planning trips to Philippines

Looking for someone with good information

Thank you

Welcome to the forum, Eric. Aussie Pete hasn't posted in 4 years.

What else do you need to know? Feel free to ask.

This thread has some good opinions presented as far as the safety issues. Some of us still ride in provincial areas. My partner loves to ride pillion, so to make her happy (haha) I have a Honda ADV160 and we use it in the quieter areas of Negros island, not so much in the city. 

We also tour around the island and go to resorts.  The ADV160 has just enough power for two-up as long as speeds don't exceed 80 or 90 kph (50-55 mph). That is plenty fast in the Philippines. Our two boys each have their own 125cc motorbikes for local use in our small town. We all wear helmets and gloves - all the time. If we are going further, the mesh gear goes on.

@pnwcyclist

Thank you very much..helpful.. I will have more questions about traveling on motorcycle in the Philippines..I just need good advice..from experience people.

@pnwcyclist

Thank you.. I'm just looking for more quality information about traveling the Philippines on motorcycle.

Have you been to the Philippines? Do you know what islands you want to tour? One can pretty much tour the entire archipelago with a combination of roads and ferries.

Personally, I would avoid the Manila metro area, but Luzon itself has a lot to offer, especially along the coast. So do the other islands, especially in the Visayas, most of which have peripheral roads which encircle the island, with a few roads that cross the mountain ranges that are prevalent in the interior. One can explore an island this way, and then take a ferry to the next island. One can also just go from north to south along the nautical highway, with a few ferries along the way.

Keep in mind that the weather varies from north to south and east to west and it might be worth doing a little research in that regard. Depending on where you are, the rainy season (Southwest monsoon, or Habagat) will start in May or June in a normal year, and run to Nov/Dec, this is when you will have more typhoons and rain. you might get stuck somewhere waiting out a storm and the ferries are sometimes canceled due to high winds and rough water.

Then, in early winter the dry season starts (the Amihan, or cool, dry  winds out of  the northeast), and it generally stays pretty dry until the Habagat comes again. Be aware that it can get very hot from March through May or  June, which are the Filipino summer months.

I would be careful with Mindanao as there are always concerns in that region, although Davao is quite safe.

Thank you very much

.. I might hit you up for more info in future

@pnwcyclistand in Davao motorcycle are involved in check points, cars will be allowed to pass but better have all your paperwork for motorcycle, I ride in north Cotobato and no checks once your past Kidapawn, after that no helmet, driver's licences, tags nothing, I have a rest house in Malatab, no police, no traffic police nothing only military and they don't care

@Montana Eric

Can you recommend a motorcycle rental agency in Manila. I would like to rent  a 400 cc  +- bike with luggage  availability.  I want to travel the Philippines from north to south.  With emphasis on visiting good diving and beaches.  Remote locations. Not tourist places... thank you

Hi Eric, a quick google search turned up many and here is one.

https://rentamotormanila.com/

I know you love bikes, I do also but I only ride local as the Philippines is not like the US or Australia with road rules and looking.

For me a trip you are planning. Personally I'd be in a car especially in and around cities. Looking at the hire costs from that site a 400cc bike is like 1400 pesos a day, I'm sure long rentals are negotiable as are car rentals.

Good luck and enjoy.

Cheers, Steve.

I was going to get a bike. I had one in the USA and wanted to ride in the Philippines as well. The area I am in is Cauayan where there are the largest number of tricycles in all of Philippines. Anyay, a filipino friend of mine and my wife convinced me otherwise. I had wanted to get a bike size of 650cc. I had a larger bike in the USA. Well with the lousy roads, no rules, and things that can happen along the way, like dogs and kids running into the streets at any moment, plus the terrible heat..........I decided against it.

I know a lot of people ride, and probably in better or maybe more safe areas, but to me it's a crap shoot.......only a matter of when you will go down. Don't mean to sound negative, but having a big hunk of metal wrapped around  with air-conditioning makes more sense to me. But I do miss riding, a lot!!

Stay safe.