Portuguese Possibilities

Hi there,

My name is Marco and along with my wife considering relocating to Portugal.

We are British citizens and travelled extensively; now residing in Malta for over 10 years.

We are in our mid-50's and retired.

My aim is to connect with anyone willing to assist in focusing our search given we're not looking to live next to the Ocean or in a large city. Additionally, the climate is no longer our primary concern having spent many years in Malta.

In consideration of the above, somewhere south of Porto and north of Lisbon would appear practical giving access to airports etc...

Any guidance would be appreciated as I'm unsure how how best to utilise this platform.

Thank you in advance for your benevolence
Marco

Hello Marco and welcome to the forum
What do you expect to see in Portugal which you didn't find in Malta ?

Hi there,

Thank you for your welcome note.

In simplistic terms:
                                 - more space
                                 - greater privacy
                                 - a verdant back-drop

Regards
Marco

@Maverick2020
It's a nice area that you are considering,  I'm looking to relocate around there too.
Why not spend some time when you can and travel around the area and see where you like best?

The Central region of Portugal is increasingly a destination for expats looking to change their lives, whether to set up a business, take advantage of retirement or simply escape from the big cities rhythm. The low prices, the landscape and the climate help it.

More and more expats are restoring old farms or building their new home. Between the mountains, where they appreciate the silence, the landscape, informal international communities from several countries (UK, Australia, Netherlands, Germany, ...) began to be established for the last 10 years ago. Some appear to take advantage of the retirement, others set up a business or work at a distance (available there a good high speed internet coverage), and many seek only a lifestyle more in communion with nature.

They seek a more sustainable lifestyle and a greater connection with nature. And they found it. They feel there a sense of community, in addition to the well-known Portuguese hospitality and easygoing welcoming.

There are several small/medium towns in this region with expats communities, such as:
Ferreira do Zêzere
Penamacor
Idanha-a-Nova
Arganil
Serra da Lousã
Serra do Açor
Oliveira do Hospital
Seia
Covilhã
Monsanto
Castelo Branco
Viseu
Guarda

Eg. At Penamacor,  you can estabilish contact with:

Jammie Molloy, a irish man who owns a Real State Agency at Penamacor

Paul Large, the international school director. This english school has children from almost 20 countries, learning from a Expression Education Alternative model. a model that is rising in England and becoming popular in several countries.

At the Youtube Channel OK Portugal, please see episode #35 Quinta do Ancinho -The Marsh Family Homestead who are originally from the UK. They described here why they moved to Portugal just over 4 years ago and bought a property there.

At the online portuguese newspaper Diário de Notícias (October, 14th 2018 report) other expats describe their new life  (DN, Diário de Notícias, 14 de Outubro de 2018, freely available on internet). Please search it on internet website dn.pt, by using the following sentence: Os fugitivos do brexit estão a invadir o concelho mais envelhecido de Portugal.

I hope it was useful.

Thank you for the kind responses.

In fact we were due to visit the central and north regions allowing around 4 weeks to gain an insight etc... Unfortunately, Covid put those plans on-hold so we are now rescheduling for late Summer.

I will continue to research and appreciate any thoughts or advice members wish to supply.

Until then,
Regards
Marco

Hi, I found this very helpful. I too am planning to move to Portugal in the near future with the aim of buying a small farm. It was great to hear that there are expat communities in these areas.