Menu
Expat.com

IPA validity period

Last activity 09 December 2020 by beppi

ramishka

Hi,

I am currently overseas hoping to move to Singapore for employment. I currently have an IPA issued for my employment pass.

Assuming I get the landing approval, I plan to move to Singapore about 3-4 weeks before my starting date on the new job. Reason for this is so that I can serve the SHN and sort out my basic accommodation needs and other errands before the work starts (to minimize distractions during work).

But this also means I will not be getting the actual EP from MoM until 3-4 weeks later than my arrival date (since the card will only be issued once I start work).
I know an IPA is valid for 6 months. And I know that it acts as a single entry Visa to Singapore. However I could not find a clear answer to whether freely roaming in Singapore for 3-4 with just the IPA before getting the EP is issued is legal or not.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

beppi

Good question!
I assume up to one month is o.k., but to be sure better ask MoM (or ICA) - and please come back and post the result here, for future readers with the same issue!

itsjaydeep

is IPA always valid for 6 months? Is validity for IPA different for different people?

gon0411

IPA acts as a one-time entry visa. IPA valid of x months means you need to come to Singapore within x months. The validity of IPA differs from other work passes. For example, the IPA of Work Holiday pass valid for 3 months only. Also, the IPA validity period can extend longer depending on the case (this is handled case by case, I guess. The IPA of my Work Holiday Pass extended for 1 more month)

Normally after you come to Singapore using IPA, you will have a 30-day visit pass (which is stamp on your passport). Within 30-day since you come to Singapore, your employer should get the pass issued (by using MOM's online platform - EP online).

Except in some cases where you are not ready to get the pass issue, you can ask the employer to extend your short term visit pass (for example: your medical report is not ready).

spr07

I got IPA validity of just 1 month to my job change from agency to perm.

Swatii

Hey how long does new EP IPA process takes now ? Thanks

Guest8346

Hi all, i have a issue can someone give me solutions.
Currently i holding Work Permit. I found a another job (S PASS).
S Pass was approved already.
Now the issue is My current Employer HR says,  that you can work only here if you intent's to resign we will send back to home country.
If they send me i can't come back now and can't able to join in new company which is applied S PASS.

So what i want to do now?

beppi

Arun: You simply resign and start work with the other company.
What can they do?
Handcuff you and force you into a plane to your country? I don’t think so!

Guest8346

Beppi: But they have to cut my work permit right?
If they not ready to cut it. How can i join another company?

surya2k

After your s pass got approved, did you resign your present job? If you have resigned already and you don’t need to serve any notice period then MoM gives a week or so for work permit holder to leave and the employer books travel ticket.

In this case, you can tell your employer that don’t need to book air ticket for you as you found another job here. As you have IPA of your s pass then you can legally stay here and based on your joining date arrangement you will join your new employer. Good luck

Guest8346

Surya: okay. I satying in dormitory which is under this company.
my current company say if you ready to resign.
we are take you to airport directly and send back to home.
I still not give resign latter. Bcoz this issue.

surya2k

You tell the truth that you got a better opportunity and your s pass is already approved so they no need to buy a ticket nor they need to fetch you to airport. Technically, this is not possible as in present situation most of the countries are not opened up their flight operations. So, your employer simply can’t book a ticket rather they have to wait when special flights seats are available.

Same time check with your new employer on your joining date so that if required you can join immediately.

beppi

And if they are really, really inflexible about that issue: Let them book a flight ticket and send you to the airport - from there you take a taxi or MRT back to your new accommodation (you cannot stay in the company-provided dormitory any longer, so arrange something beforehand!).

Articles to help you in your expat project in Singapore

• Work visas for Singapore
    Work visas for Singapore

As an expat, you must have a job to pay for your rent, bills, and leisure activities, but you can't just move ...

• Work visas in Singapore
    Work visas in Singapore

PEP applicants are assessed on the following criteria:

• Driving in Singapore
    Driving in Singapore

Singapore has an efficient public transportation system coupled with excellent taxi services, with phone apps ...

• Dating in Singapore
    Dating in Singapore

Moving to Singapore has been fun since you've been exploring a new country and culture. However, if you ...

• Internships in Singapore
    Internships in Singapore

Singapore is home to many universities of international repute, as well as companies from a diverse range of ...

• Marriage in Singapore
    Marriage in Singapore

Singapore allows both foreigners or a foreigner and a local national to marry in the country. The procedures and ...

• Using phones in Singapore
    Using phones in Singapore

As in many developed countries, mobile phones have taken over the landline network in Singapore. Whether ...

• Finding a job in Singapore
    Finding a job in Singapore

Singapore has a well-developed job market with numerous outlets providing information on employment opportunities, ...

All of Singapore's guide articles