Menu
Expat.com

Internet Reliability for Laptop Based Job

Last activity 07 November 2020 by GuestPoster301

Sleepthieves

I'm considering moving to Mauritius for a bit after finding out about their new VISA program for people who work via the internet.  I dont think Ill be there a whole year but its definitely worth at least working there for the 3 months of USA winter.

I am wondering about the reliability and speeds of the internet. My work isnt super speed intensive but I would need 40 hours a week of nearly uninterrupted internet and the ability to do Zoom meetings on rare occasion. I saw there are few different companies that offer land line service.

Is it reliable and are the speeds decent/hold up to what they are saying they offer.

https://testmyinternetspeed.org/isp/mus/

Is My Mauritius a good company with reliable good speed?
https://home.myt.mu/

GuestPoster301

Internet is fine over here, Zoom/ Slack works perfectly without any issues. I have been working remotely from Mauritius to UK/ Singapore companies for over 1 year now and haven't had any issue.

Sleepthieves

Thanks for reply, that really helps me feel confidant in moving there to work.

Who do you get internet through?  Is there year long contracts to get service or can you do month to month service?

GuestPoster301

I took a yearly contract with myt mobile 20M, with monthly payment and when moving back I just need to present my air ticket and they would cancel without any penalty.

Sleepthieves

Awesome!!!! That is about as good as I could hope for.

You said mobile, do you use a hotspot router or just wifi hotspot from your phone? 

I'm guessing it is 4G with pretty good speed if you are able to work from a mobile connection.

GuestPoster301

I have a 4G dongle when I move around but at home I use a normal 2Mbps fiber conneciton.

Sleepthieves

Oh ok so you do have a land line internet connection. That was my original plan, since its very likely more reliable and faster. I was psyched they had fiber, here in the USA fiber connections are a pipe dream for us in the middle of the country in the suburbs.

Is your landline provider the one you were saying was cool with canceling your contract when you show them you are leaving?

Thanks again Suraj, you've been extremely helpful. This was the make or break for me and some friends heading to Mauritius.

GuestPoster301

Yeah, MT is very flexible on the contact thing as Emtel which is another internet provider but provides on 4G and FTTA (dish with modem with almost the same speed as Fiber) at the moment. I took a 4G dongle with MYT as sometimes there are cyclones here and electricity goes away briefly. I would suggest that you do the same.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

All of Mauritius's guide articles