Menu
Expat.com

Condo Air Conditioning Unit

Last activity 17 December 2020 by jstrelaxn

jstrelaxn

Hello.  Is it common for the air conditioner in a new condo to fail after a year's use?  I purchased a condo in the Azure complex (while it was being built).  It was turned over to me a couple of years ago; however, there was no occupancy until Jan of 2019.  I'm being told that the air conditioner is now broken and must be replaced.  Any similar stories or things I need to look out for?  Thanks.
Dave

Enzyte Bob
jstrelaxn wrote:

Hello.  Is it common for the air conditioner in a new condo to fail after a year's use?  I purchased a condo in the Azure complex (while it was being built).  It was turned over to me a couple of years ago; however, there was no occupancy until Jan of 2019.  I'm being told that the air conditioner is now broken and must be replaced.  Any similar stories or things I need to look out for?  Thanks.
Dave

I would get a second opinion to see if your Aircon can be repaired, rather than be replaced.

My Aircon has been running 24/7 since August 2018. About every three months I have it completely washed, (inside the unit), in just three months it's clogged with dirt and dust.

For 800 Pesos & a 200 peso tip, two guys remove the Aircon (built through the wall) and take it down to the first floor. They power wash it internally and remove lots of dirt & dust. In three months time, the air flow greatly slows down. Per example  when the Aircon is clean and at the 25 C setting it cools the room with the fan setting on low. About three months later with the setting at 16C and the fan on high the room gets really warm.

I don't know what type of unit you have, but it's easy to remove the built in flimsy air filter (doesn't really stop dust) and wash it in your shower.

jstrelaxn

Thank you for the reply and information.  This a rental so I'm sure the tenants never bothered to clean anything and I wasn't aware they get dirty so quickly. They told me the compressor is shot.  They filled with freon and let it run for 24 hours, after cleaning. No cigar.  Again thanks, and I'll make arrangements to have it cleaned on a regular basis.
Dave

beth_525

Hello,

How are you, I purchsed also a condo unit in SMDC Property in MOA,Pasay City opposite to SM Mall of Asia,I am a owner  and Leasing agent . But about your concerned i do'nt think so that after a year used this Aircondition was broken..It should be still perfect working even you are used for  2 years, you need only for a maintenance cleaning every 10 months or 1 year bcoz of the dust or dirt inside.
May i ask you, do you have an agent or a person who take cares of your unit? Bcoz in my experience i am working as as condo Leasing agent in SEA Residences,Shell Res and Shore..I know some agents they using the units in their own,If they has keys and allowed them to make any transactions for the renting or etc..I hope you are the 1 who has access of your own unit without any 2nd or 3rd persons, this only im only concern about why your Airconditioning was out of order in a year..

pnwcyclist

Really unusual to fail that soon. Ours have always run for years.. with annual maintenance.

TeeJay4103

A friend moved into a condo in SM Wind Residences in Tagaytay and he said the AC didn't work very well and it was a little noisy.

The unit he rented was about two years old at the time.  The owner of the unit was informed of the problem and dragged his feet getting someone to look at the unit, so the renter called someone himself and deducted the bill from his rent, (not without argument).

It turns out that the AC had not been serviced since it was installed and was filled with mold and dirt inside and out of the split system unit.

Aside from sheer stupidity, there is no excuse for not caring for your investment for the long term.

jstrelaxn

Thanks. I'm in the US and wasn't aware of the extensive maintenance required on these small air conditioners. Lesson learned.

TeeJay4103
jstrelaxn wrote:

Thanks. I'm in the US and wasn't aware of the extensive maintenance required on these small air conditioners. Lesson learned.

Our split system units are cleaned every six months.  The indoor unit is draped with a small tarp which funnels into a bucket and a pressure sprayer is used to clean the unit. While this is being done, the pieces removed are taken outside and cleaned by hand. Judging from the dirty water, it is a necessary maintenance procedure.

The filters on the indoor units should be cleaned monthly, a quick and easy task.

For the three units in our home, we pay 1200 pesos per unit.

jstrelaxn

Thanks for the info. I'll make sure they're cleaned going forward.
Dave

Articles to help you in your expat project in Manila

• Buying property in Manila
    Buying property in Manila

Buying a property is a big and exciting step, but navigating the rules and regulations in a new country can be a ...

• Choosing your neighbourhood in Manila
    Choosing your neighbourhood in Manila

Choosing a neighborhood is one of the most critical decisions that expats need to make when moving to Manila. Each ...

• Accommodation in Manila
    Accommodation in Manila

There are lots of renting options to choose from when relocating to Manila. Most expats in the Philippines live in ...

• Accommodation in Iloilo
    Accommodation in Iloilo

Iloilo, nicknamed the 'Heart of the Philippines', is a province stretching over 4,663 km² in the ...

• Accommodation in Davao
    Accommodation in Davao

Davao is an established metropolitan area with its capital, Davao City, catching up to the main Philippine cities ...

• Accommodation in Cebu
    Accommodation in Cebu

Located in the Visayas region, 750 km from Manila and West of the Negros Island, Cebu is one of the major ...

• Accommodation in Cagayan de Oro
    Accommodation in Cagayan de Oro

Cagayan de Oro (CDO) nicknamed the 'City of Golden Friendship' is a highly urbanized city located in ...

• Buying property in the Philippines
    Buying property in the Philippines

If you, like many foreigners before you, have fallen in love with the Philippines, you might be considering buying ...

All of Manila's guide articles