Moving to Hanoi in 2022.

Xin Chao! This is Bignon.
I'm a French citizen currently living in Nantes/France and there is a chance we (my wife, my 6 years old daughter and myself) may move to Hanoi in September 2022 for 3 or 4 years. To be confirmed by end of 2021.

Our daughter French school will be located in 'Long Bien' and we would prefer to live not too far in order to avoid a long commuting time for her. Walking distance is preferable else ~15/20min by car/taxi is perfect.
My wife will be working in 'Hoan Kiem' area .

Would anyone recommend any area/neighborhood to live ? Not a too high class expat/diplomat area but a more local medium high class neighborhood and safe to live and walk around.

Any general recommendation/advise about living in Hanoi will be more than welcome including best internet websites for apartment hunting ( so i'll compare with whatever i've collected over the internet already), please :).

Cam On / Thanks a lot!

bignon wrote:

Xin Chao! This is Bignon.
I'm a French citizen currently living in Nantes/France and there is a chance we (my wife, my 6 years old daughter and myself) may move to Hanoi in September 2022 for 3 or 4 years. To be confirmed by end of 2021.

Our daughter French school will be located in 'Long Bien' and we would prefer to live not too far in order to avoid a long commuting time for her. Walking distance is preferable else ~15/20min by car/taxi is perfect.
My wife will be working in 'Hoan Kiem' area .

Would anyone recommend any area/neighborhood to live ? Not a too high class expat/diplomat area but a more local medium high class neighborhood and safe to live and walk around.

Any general recommendation/advise about living in Hanoi will be more than welcome including best internet websites for apartment hunting ( so i'll compare with whatever i've collected over the internet already), please :).

Cam On / Thanks a lot!

The Forum doesn't seem to have nearly as many active members in the northern parts of Vietnam as it does in the central and southern parts of Vietnam.

I don't like to refer people to competitive forums but you might have better results with internationsDOTorg

They have a vibrant Community in Hanoi, or at least they did before covid outbreaks.

I also have some Vietnamese friends in Hanoi who provide various services; from hotels to driving to visas, etc.

One contact in particular can be very helpful in setting up temporary residency for you and also setting you up with a good driver guide who can take you around to various neighborhoods.

If you need a recommendation, send me a private message and I'll be happy to help you.

As with most places in Vietnam, your best results will probably be from coming to the country first and having temporary housing and then looking at the different neighborhoods at your leisure.

Good luck with your move.

Bonjour Bignon,
My family also are looking for neighborhoods in Hanoi to move to, my son is 6 and starting CP in Sept 2021, if we make the move we are looking exactly for the same as you, somewhere walking distance to French Lycee.
Do you want to connect and share notes? We will be there by Sept 2021.
Currently in France enjoying the summer.

Bonjour Loli3, je vous ai envoye un MP.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

The Forum doesn't seem to have nearly as many active members in the northern parts of Vietnam as it does in the central and southern parts of Vietnam.

There is a good reason for that: only people who don't know the north agree to go there  :D

I'm not From Hanoi but I'm Vietnamese and have quite sometimes lived in Hanoi. I can share with u something, hope it can help.
- For those who new I highly recommend u to stay in flat, not landed house. Cos it is safer.
- Long Bien and Hoan Kiem the house in Long Bien will be cheaper. If u prefer to meet someone who can speak English around should choose Hoan Kiem. And I think that area more convenient to go anywhere in the city.
-  The flat with 2 bed room will be around 300-400 USD/ month minimum.

hangmytna wrote:

I'm not From Hanoi but I'm Vietnamese and have quite sometimes lived in Hanoi. I can share with u something, hope it can help.
- For those who new I highly recommend u to stay in flat, not landed house. Cos it is safer.
- Long Bien and Hoan Kiem the house in Long Bien will be cheaper. If u prefer to meet someone who can speak English around should choose Hoan Kiem. And I think that area more convenient to go anywhere in the city.
-  The flat with 2 bed room will be around 300-400 USD/ month minimum.

Apartments may be safer, but I feel living in a house you have a chance to become involved with the people in the area around you. I have lived here for 14 years in different houses and never felt unsafe.