Menu
Expat.com

Handy portable WiFi device while traveling in Portugal

Last activity 16 September 2021 by slugsurmamates

Andrew Rockwell

We're in Portugal for the month of August.

I decided to try a portable WiFi device from Portugal Internet.  Unlimited, high speed.

We did NOT purchase local sims because both of our phones are locked from the US.

It's a small device that fits in your shirt pocket and provides 4G connections.  My speed tests have ranged from 38 mega-bits-per-second (Mbs) to over 80 Mbs.  It is way faster than our hotel or AirBnB connections.

Portugal Internet

I ordered it online and it was delivered to our hotel the same day we arrived.  Drop the envelop in the mail when done.

We carry this device and a battery backup on the street.  Works great. We used it on the train from Lisbon to Porto.  Yes, the train supposedly had WiFi, we didn't need it

We use text, Whatsapp, and WiFi calling.  Or use any other WiFi communications you like.

Very happy with this!!

padwock

Sounds like a good solution. Did you get it from the link you posted?

Andrew Rockwell

Yes
Portugal Internet

In our case it was delivered to our hotel the day we arrived.

We carry it on street with a USB battery backup.

Andrew Rockwell

We just wrapped up our month in Portugal using this device.  It was great!  Even my non-technical wife wouldn't leave home without it.

If you combine a VPN service such as Express VPN on your computer, phone or table, you can make yourself appear to be in your home country even if on the metro or train.  (Of course you can do that without the WiFi device if you have a local sim, but it makes it easy, and the sim unnecessary).  Makes you look in country to your bank.

It's rare that I'm impressed with technology.  I have been working with computers for 50 years (yes 50 years).

The only con was that sometimes I had to power the device down/up to force a better connection.

At the end of our trip I returned the device in the enclosed envelop through the post office (actually hotel).

slugsurmamates

FYI.  You may be able to buy this hardware online for £30 or so in UK. (Note Chinese product) as it gets expensive renting over a month or so.

I personally use my UK SIM (Smarty £8/month plan) which gives me up to 12Gb data whilst in Portugal and is a monthly contract.

I can share this data to another phone using Hotspot which acts like this dongle.

To enable me to receive/make calls in Portugal I simply purchased a SIM from LycaMobile (£5) which gives me a Portuguese Tele number (the likes of SEF or Saude insist on using Portugal mobile numbers only).

Also use Surfshark VPN for access to country-specific applications.  Can use on multiple devices - phone, PC, laptop, smartTv.

neale_p

Hi. Quick Q.

Were you able to order the LycaMobile Portugal number SIM card from the UK and get delivery to the UK too? Or did you have to organise this whilst in Portugal ?

Cheers

slugsurmamates

I bought in Portugal.
In fact I ordered online (an advert I think!) and they sent the SIM free to my address in Albufeira. 
I then topped up £5 for telecalls but no data at local phone shop as it wasn't too clear from info I received how to do that online...
I am sure you can too up data also.
In my case, I was in Portugal for more than 30 days and the credit was removed after 30 days but can still use for incoming calls, WhatsApp etc with no credit.
I think it lasts for 90 days without being used but if you contact LycaMobile they will extend that period to 12 months.
Works for me.
I use Skype for local Portugal calls when I (rarely) need to in any case.
Try LycaMobile.pt for info.
I see the LycaMobile SIMs available widely in phone shops, supermarkets, malls in Portugal, incidentally.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Portugal

• Phones and Internet in Portugal
    Phones and Internet in Portugal

Whether or not you are a tech-savvy person, this is still quite an important part of everyday life – and it ...

• Dating in Portugal
    Dating in Portugal

If it's true that dating in general can be tricky and present its challenges, even more so when we talk about ...

• The Portuguese lifestyle
    The Portuguese lifestyle

Moving to a new country means you will be discovering a new culture and exploring different habits, as well as a ...

• Work visas in Portugal
    Work visas in Portugal

Portugal can be a great place to live in. This Southern European country is known for its great weather, ...

• Renting options in Porto
    Renting options in Porto

Over the past few years, rent prices in Porto have been soaring. As the city's popularity grows among tourists ...

• Working in Lisbon
    Working in Lisbon

Lisbon is Portugal's capital and also the largest city in the country. Furthermore, it is the richest ...

• Healthcare for the elderly in Portugal
    Healthcare for the elderly in Portugal

Portugal is a popular destination for retirement for Europeans, in general, but also retirees from other ...

• Student life in Lisbon
    Student life in Lisbon

So, you have found the perfect university in Lisbon and got accepted. Congratulations! It's time to start ...

All of Portugal's guide articles