Menu
Expat.com

Buying a car in Bulgaria

Last activity 14 November 2021 by KingaCo. Clare

KingaCo. Clare

If I am a EU member can I buy a car in Bulgaria?

sogy

Yes you can.

KingaCo. Clare

Thanks soggy. We will rent for the first couple of days but want a car ASAP .
Do you or anyone knows how long does it take to get all documents sorted?
really appreciate your help smile.png Thanks

sogy

Depends on whether you want new or used. Dealers generally help with documentation. There are lots of small used car dealerships. But you have to bear in mind that there are fewer cars brought here now, less choice, and higher prices.

BTW, there's also an option of brining your car here from Ireland (?) My friends have brought theirs from the UK (before Brexit) and are still using it.

gwynj

Car purchase/transfer involves a notary. So the actual notary time to review and have you sign documents is probably an hour, but maybe it's a few days before you get your notary appointment.

If you import, and re-register, then no notary required. That's a day at Kat (traffic police) instead doing inspection and paperwork (and waiting in line).

I'm sure there are many good sellers/dealers, but I've heard there are some lemons getting sold. So maybe consider taking a mechanic if you are not an expert, or buying new from a large dealer.

My two Ebay vehicles were known quantities, so, even though they are RHD, I was more comfortable importing them instead of buying here.

KingaCo. Clare

Nothing fancy . I have my  1.6 Toyota Verso 2006 that I love and I wouldn't need anything "better" .
I have to admit that I am terrified of right side driving . huh.png

KingaCo. Clare

Thank you very much

sogy

It's scary to drive on the "wrong" side, but people get used to it.

KingaCo. Clare

Must be challenging  but can not be avoided lol. It is really great to have some help from all of ye smile.png Thanks a trillion
There is so much info on the Web but it just feel right double check with you in here smile.png

gwynj

Mostly it's fine with RHD. Overtaking is a pain, of course, but that's about it. But in your Toyota Verso, you can't overtake much anyway. :-)

But I suppose it depends which seat you're in. I'm very happy driving here. But Priscila's in the left seat when I stick the side out to see who's coming. So she spends most of the journey freaking out. :-) So, if I'm alone I drive ordinary roads and do death-defying overtakes (this is a Bulgarian thing, I've noticed, so it's not just me)... and if she's with me, then it's Driving Miss Daisy on the motorway all the way. :-)

ChrisM2021

My biggest pain driving RHD without a passenger in Europe is having  to get out the car and walk around to pay at automatic toll gates on motorways. Doesn’t make you very popular with the queue of people behind you  lol.png

KingaCo. Clare

big_smile.png Must be a lovely sight .
I am from Poland originally  so RHD is no a new thing to me, but I have been LHD for the last 16 years constant so I am a bit worried yet I know I will manage.

Low traffic roads will be an advantage to get use to it smile.png Hopefully

KingaCo. Clare

Toyota is a very good car you can rely on. My car can accommodate my whole family, including my dog, who has a large trunk at his disposal.
I've had different cars in my life, also more expensive and newer, but with all the problems with these cars, my dad advised me to buy a Toyota. I bought it and I am very satisfied.
I have lived in the west of Ireland for the last 16 years. I don't know if you've ever had a chance to drive on Irish country roads, but most often you have no choice whether to overtake or not because the road is too narrow. you often have to go back to the nearest bay to let an oncoming car pass big_smile.png nightmare.
Not to mention tractors in front of you for 9 miles......

And if I need to overtake someone, I overtake, I have a clutch, steering wheels and 180 horsepower in the car, not much but  everything I  need. I don't drive daringly because I'm not an adrenaline eater. I prefer to walk slowly through the forest, calmly observing the nature. The car is more like a tool that transports me comfortably from A to B.

no, I don't overtake recklessly because I value my life and I don't buy expensive cars because I don't need them. If I will end up on the hills I will buy big 4x4 tho.

ChrisM2021

Lived in Dublin for 11 years, yeah, Irish rural roads can be a nightmare alright. Beautiful scenery though. Drivers in Bulgaria strike me as pretty chilled for the most part compared to a lot of Eastern/Southern Europe, maybe I haven't done enough km here yet...

janemulberry

AS Gwyn said, the Bulgarian habits for overtaking are interesting! The one time we hired a car and did some driving, seemed that other drivers sat behind us on nice straight clear stretches and waited for blind corners or nearing the crest of a hill to overtake!

Overall though, hubby said he enjoyed driving there more than in the UK.

ChrisM2021

I sometimes miss the UK but I don't miss driving there, spending more time watching your speed and placating average-speed cameras than watching the road, plus the sheer traffic...

KingaCo. Clare

exactly smile.png

kristiann

11596736224636023_Kr.jpg

My modest input:

mobile.cgi?act=4&adv=11596736224636023&slink=m7cajo

and some simple guidelines:

1. Find your car: dealers like
mobile.bg
cars.bg
carmarket.bg
olx.bg
many others

2. Check the car's history - e.g. by VIN number

3. Have the car checked by a mechanic!!!  - he will provide a list of the necessary repairs and additional costs

4. Buy the car: The contract should be signed in front of a public notary!

5. If no significant repairs are needed, take the car to the regional Traffic Police Department for Mechanical check and issuing of numbering plates.
You will need:
- Purchase contract;
- Car insurance (Third party liability)
- ID card

6. Road vignette (if planning to drive it outside a city)

7. Local municipality car tax

8. Car alarm and engine blocker (not necessarily, but good to have)

Do not leave the car unattended before registering it and buying an insurance.

gwynj

With apologies to @KingaCo. Clare and Versos everywhere. :-) Toyota definitely makes great cars, I do not say otherwise. And if you've got a souped-up Verso with 180 hp, then that should go like billy-o. :-)

KingaCo. Clare

your help  and you are an advantage to the forum smile.png We are cool. You did not offended me and you don't owe me an apology . smile.png
The conclusion is that there are better and worse cars than Toyota big_smile.png But A good Toyota ain't bad smile.png

I was just pointing out that this is what I drive and If I was to buy in BG I would not need anything @ better @

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bulgaria

All of Bulgaria's guide articles