Border Run Danang to Lao Bao & Return

Conflicting information online as to whether or not the border crossing into Laos is open for border runs.

Anyone have certain knowledge as to the status there?
From what I find out all entry points to Laos are closed.
As at 15th April the PM approved tourist reopening but in principle only with no firm dates as yet.

There is a green travel scheme which has a list of countries allowed to enter when dates are announced.

Also a list of requirements necessary regarding Covid-19. Check out the site below.

This was updated 17th April. 
@OceanBeach92107
I understand why it is confusing, because the government has said what it will do in the future, but not when the new rules will apply. So we are still on the old rules, which means you have to get a COF, plus tests so, simple answer is yes you could, but lots of expense and paperwork.
So long story short, no you can't do simple visa runs yet, but will be soon, however Lao makes changes slowly so probably not this month.
The latest news is that Laos is now open for tourists from May 9th.

- @stumpy

Thank you, Stumpy. I have a friend who has just arrived here in VN from Canada. He wants to do a border run before June 8. He is unvaccinated.

From the link you provided, can the "Rapid ATK test" for nonvaccinated tourists be self-administered, or must it be through a hospital/clinic? In lieu of an ATK test would a PCR test, with an English results paper, be acceptable?
Any tests done must be backed up with the relevant paperwork. From information I found online a PCR test is acceptable.

I suggest that your friend flies into Vientiane as the authorities there, rather than border crossing staff, are easier to deal with as it is the main entrance point for the country.
@Aidin in HCMC

Can you please let us know how things go with your friend as others may benefit from any information 1f44d.svg
@stumpy

Will do, post June 8 upon his return.
@stumpy

Change of plans. He'll be flying to BKK-return.
Thanks Aidan

- @stumpy

Thank you, Stumpy. I have a friend who has just arrived here in VN from Canada. He wants to do a border run before June 8. He is unvaccinated.

From the link you provided, can the "Rapid ATK test" for nonvaccinated tourists be self-administered, or must it be through a hospital/clinic? In lieu of an ATK test would a PCR test, with an English results paper, be acceptable?
- @Aidan in HCMC

I had written to the Lao Visa Support staff asking whether a PCR test would be acceptable. My friend from Canada is not able to get an ATK test (official test with English results certificate) here in Phu Quoc, VN, but is able to get a PCR test.
The Lao Visa Support staff wrote back advising that they will check and write us back. I'll post their response here once (if?) received.

A bit of a grey area. Cannot find any definitive answer.
Please let us know how you get on.
Of course you can you can do a border run when having a visa (only vac certificate and passport needed). No Öao visa on arrival available at Vietnamese-Lao borders. Use e-Visa.
Of course you can you can do a border run when having a visa (only vac certificate and passport needed). No Öao visa on arrival available at Vietnamese-Lao borders. Use e-Visa.
- @Peaky

E-Visas are not accepted at Vietnam-Lao borders.

Lao e-Visa are accepted at only 5 entry points, being three int'l airports, and two land crossings (both of which are on the Thai-Lao border). https://laoevisa.gov.la/assets/images/P … essage.png

Further, and as stated in my original post above, my friend is not vaccinated.
A bit of a grey area. Cannot find any definitive answer.
Please let us know how you get on.
- @stumpy

Hi Stumpy. I received a response from eVisa support.

Yes, an rt-PCR is acceptable, though why this is not stated on the official Lao gov't site, your guess is as good as mine.
See bottom section of the pop-up at https://laoevisa.gov.la/index ,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(I wrote)

06/18/2022 16:42 *******@gmail.com wrote:

Hello, and thank you for taking my question.

"Non-Vaccinated Traveller- Must present: Proof of antigen test kit (ATK) examination with a negative test result of COVID-19 ...Lao PDR".

I have a nonvaccinated friend who is unable to locate a facility here in Phu Quoc, Vietnam, which can perform an ATK exam. He can, however, have an rt-PCR test performed. Is a negative PCR test acceptable?

Thank you, again, for your assistance.

Kind regards,
Aidan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(response)

eVisa Support <support@laoevisa.gov.la>   
20 Jun 2022, 16:09
to *******@gmail.com

Dear Aidan,
Thank you for your request.
Yes, you can use rt-PCR test or ATK

Best regards,
Your Support Team
--Consular Department,
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lao PDR

Email: support@laoevisa.gov.la - Web: https://www.laoevisa.gov.la
--

Hi has anybody done the Hanoi Laos Border visa run lately like 2022
I'm just trying to find out now to do it.
Most of the info on the internet is pre-covid days
Where do you get an Antigen test in Hanoi?
Cheers peter
@plegrove
Hi again, Peter.
If you intend to use a Lao e-Visa, see
[link under review]

If you are unable to get an ATK test, a PCR is acceptable
@plegrove

Thanks for the updates. 1f44c.svg

Me and my girlfriend did Lao Bao visa ran on 3-6-2022 alone no tour , no test no jab certificate no mask no problems . you need  1) vietnam e-visa 25 usd 2) 45 usd (better in us dollars) for Lao visa  3) 2 pas photos . and valid passport for 6 months . if you stay overnight is a home stay in Lao Bao for 180.000 vnd per night for 2 p.

Sounds like things are slowly but surely getting back to somewhere near normal.

Me and my girlfriend did Lao Bao visa ran on 3-6-2022 alone no tour , no test no jab certificate no mask no problems . you need  1) vietnam e-visa 25 usd 2) 45 usd (better in us dollars) for Lao visa  3) 2 pas photos . and valid passport for 6 months . if you stay overnight is a home stay in Lao Bao for 180.000 vnd per night for 2 p.

- @toufas

WOW! Thank you, Toufas!
I will write the Lao e-Visa support team again. I'm hoping, as Stumpy said, that things are returning to normal and that you weren't just lucky.
Thank you again for that report!

I'll post their response once received.
@toufas Hi
I have to do a run from Hanoi Next month
Can you speak Viet I can't even get a coffee without pointing
I think I might have to get a tour
Cheers
@plegrove
Two suggestions that work well for me.

1) Install the Google Translate app onto your phone. It does not work well for full sentences, idioms or colloquialisms, but will do okay with single words and/or (very) short sentences.

2) Download an image of what you will want onto your phone and show it at the shop you visit. I once needed a plunger to clear a clogged sink. The look of non-comprehension on the shop keeper's face when I tried to have Google translate "plunger" was comical (it translated "plunger", as  "thợ lặn" (diver) HAR!).

- @toufas

WOW! Thank you, Toufas!
I will write the Lao e-Visa support team again. I'm hoping, as Stumpy said, that things are returning to normal and that you weren't just lucky.
Thank you again for that report!

I'll post their response once received.
- @Aidan in HCMC

I received a response (lickety split) from Lao e-Visa.
According to the email, Toufas, it looks as though you did indeed get lucky, sir.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(I wrote)

06/23/2022 09:49  *******@gmail.com wrote:

Hello again.

An expat friend of mine advised me that he was able to use his Lao e-Visa at a land border crossing from Vietnam (near Lao Bao), but at https://laoevisa.gov.la/assets/images/P … essage.png it states that the Lao e-Visa can be used at only 5 entry points, being your 3 international airports, and two land crossings on the Thai-Lao border.

Can the Lao e-Visa be used at any/all of your land border crossings?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Kind regards,
Aidan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(response)

eVisa Support <support@laoevisa.gov.la>   
23 Jun 2022, 14:52
to *******@gmail.com

Dear Aidan,

Thank you for your request.

Lao eVisa can be used to enter 5 international ports:

1. Wattay International Airport  (Vientiane Capital).
   2. Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge I  (Vientiane Capital) .
   3. Luang Prabang International Airport (Luang Prabang Province).
   4. Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge II (Savannakhet Province) .
   5. Pakse International Airport (Champasack Province).

Your Support Team
--
Consular Department,
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lao PDR
Email: support@laoevisa.gov.la - Web: https://www.laoevisa.gov.la

Hi All my understanding is that you can apply for a visa at all international crossing points. The visa price was raised to US$40 for all except Chinese and Vietnamese. I also understand all Covid restrictions have now been cancelled. I am not a 100% sure so it would be worth checking with government .
Hi All my understanding is that you can apply for a visa at all international crossing points. The visa price was raised to US$40 for all except Chinese and Vietnamese. I also understand all Covid restrictions have now been cancelled. I am not a 100% sure so it would be worth checking with government .
- @snikrep65
Are you talking about going from Laos to Vietnam or from Vietnam to Laos?

On the Face.book Vietnam visa advice group a few days ago, a woman posted about the nightmare she encountered when she and her children were turned away at the Lao Bao crossing when attempting to use a copy of her Lao eVisa to enter Laos on a border run.

She had to go back to Danang and get an actual visa stamp in her passport from the Lao consulate there.

Only the friendship bridges with Thailand and the airports allow use of the evisa, according to many reports.

Did you miss reading the government reply in the comment prior to yours?
Post #25 has the latest correct information as to border crossings with E-Visa.
@Aidan in HCMC
Thanks I downloaded the translator it makes a difference;
Also if I do a border run form Hanoi to Laos I need to get a physical visa from the Laos embassy here in Hanoi
And an official ATK test or a PCR test plus my Vietnam evisa to get back into Vietnam.
Anything I missed Thanks
Hi Something else that cropped up.
Can I renew my Vietnam evisa with an entry date before my old visa has expired or do i have to put in a date older than the expiry date of my original visa.
Example My evisa expires on July 10 so when i apply for a new evisa I can use July 10 or later as my date of entry.
Now what i want to know is can i apply say for July 8 before my old evisa has expired.
Thanks
    @Aidan in HCMC
    Thanks I downloaded the translator it makes a difference;
    Also if I do a border run form Hanoi to Laos I need to get a physical visa from the Laos embassy here in Hanoi
    And an official ATK test or a PCR test plus my Vietnam evisa to get back into Vietnam.
    Anything I missed Thanks
    - @plegrove
You're good to go.

Hi Something else that cropped up.Can I renew my Vietnam evisa with an entry date before my old visa has expired or do i have to put in a date older than the expiry date of my original visa. Example My evisa expires on July 10 so when i apply for a new evisa I can use July 10 or later as my date of entry.Now what i want to know is can i apply say for July 8 before my old evisa has expired.  Thanks- @plegrove

Yes sir, July 8 will work fine
Hi Guys

In Hanoi Where do I go to get a official RT-PCR or professional ATK test for international travel.

Thanks
@plegrove

Vinmec Hospital, about 500K VND, and if you're there early you get the results the same day.
Quite affordable.
Thanks I'll look into it I've still got a week left on my visa
Cheers

@plegrove
Plegrove, I forgot to mention something. It didn't occur to me, as in my 5 years in VN I've only left VN twice.

V. Entry & exit with an e-Visa
1. Which entry & exit checkpoints allow e-Visa holders to enter and exit Vietnam?

Is your crossing in to Laos, then back in to VN listed among these 33 points?

@plegrove
gggrrrrrrrrr!

@plegrove
How did you make out VN-Laos land border run?
Hope it went smoothly.