Moving to Romania from US with my car

Hello everyone,

Planning to move from US to Romania soon and would bring our cars with us (Tesla).
Could someone please help us understand the process of registering it in Romania, and driving it right after getting off from the container?
It's very unclear what insurance we would need (if any) on day 1, and the overall process.
All I was able to find was that we would be able to drive with US plates for up to 90 days legally. We already have permanent residence there ("buletin").
Also not sure if I would be able to get a Romanian DL based on the US one. I read there is an exchange, but I don't want to surrender the US one, maybe I'm wrong by what it means...
Thank you so much!
Alessio
@alessiocesar

Oh good, you were able to make a post in the end. I hope someone will be able to help you with your quest.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

Hello everyone,

Planning to move from US to Romania soon and would bring our cars with us (Tesla).
Could someone please help us understand the process of registering it in Romania, and driving it right after getting off from the container?
It's very unclear what insurance we would need (if any) on day 1, and the overall process.
All I was able to find was that we would be able to drive with US plates for up to 90 days legally. We already have permanent residence there ("buletin").
Also not sure if I would be able to get a Romanian DL based on the US one. I read there is an exchange, but I don't want to surrender the US one, maybe I'm wrong by what it means...
Thank you so much!
Alessio
- @alessiocesar

Read this link to start with.

At the least you'll need RCA (liability) insurance, probably would want Casco (comp/collision) also on a Tesla.  Also, keep in mind that if they are financed, you must notify and get permission from the bank to ship the car, and in very few cases do they agree.

Just a note.  There is no such thing anymore as "permanent residence".  It is now called "Residence permit of long duration" which is more accurate, because right of residence is not permanent, there are requirements to maintain residence.  Also, at no point was it ever called "buletin".  "Buletin" is an ID card for Romanian citizens.  Foreigners formerly held "Carte de Rezidenta pentru Strainii" or more currently, a "Permis de Sedere", which are valid a maximum of 10 yrs.

@romaniac

Thanks for your reply. So the cars are paid off, and we have Romanian citizenship, so no visa issues or bank permission. When I called the insurance they told me they can do the RCA but drive quickly home and then don't drive because it has no accident coverage etc, and then register the car. It sounded like it's illegal to drive with US plates, although I remember seeing cars with US plates (not government plates).
Thanks for the link will read it. Do you know if I choose to get the Romanian driver license  based on the US one, will I have to give away the US one? Looking for a way to have both...

Best,
-ac

Update: The article you sent, has tremendous information, many thanks! A bit confused if I would be able to register the S w/o modifications since it has red blinkers. Some say I can, and won't be the 1st one. The X should be straight fwd.
I had to "surrender" my USA license also when I exchanged for a Romanian one, however, I just contacted the state DMV online the next day and requested a duplicate to be sent to me and they sent me one (to my address in the USA at the time)  :)  In reality, it's not an issue to surrender the license. 
@romaniac

Good tip man, thanks a lot!
One more thing, if you remember, did you have to present with any other documentation from US other than your DL? Like a driving record etc

Thanks!