Menu
Expat.com

Planning to move to Bulgaria

Last activity 14 August 2022 by Guest7632

Denny_H
Hi guys! I planning to move to Bulgaria sometime next year, and I  would love to meet some people all around Bulgaria as I don't have a fixed location where I want to go yet! I'm a Bosniak, living in Germany since 2019 and I want to move out of here because I hate it with passion, this country is awful, I just want to go back to countries similar to mine!
Guest7632
Welcome Denny_H

I find the Rodope Mountains around Kardzhali to be very similar to Bosnia.
Look it up, the area is very beautiful.

Another similarity to Bosnia is the Lev being in a currency board with Euro like your Convertible Marks.

BG and BiH and are the only two countries in Europe with this arrangement.

There probably many more similarities. I hope you find somewhere nice.
Denny_H

@GB_2_BG Thanks a lot! I meant to say similar as in like people have similar mindsets and so on, I love how Bulgarian women are and how people as a whole act, they're awesome and it reminds me a lot of Bosnia, as of where I would live, I think Sofia, Primorie and Varna are my favorites smile.png

wtruckyboy
Well.once you tell us where you have bought..or living..then we can tell you.
Pomorie is where i live..the area is seasonal..not much work. So you have to think of your options.
How will you live or afford to
What is your trade etc..etc
Sofia probably has all that you need.work..social life etc..
But good luck in what you choose.
Denny_H

@wtruckyboy No worries with that, I make a lot of money so I can live basically in any country in the world, I like Bulgaria a lot for its taxes, 10% tax rate seems lovely, much better than German 35%

Guest7632

Denny_H  if you have a company your dividends are taxed at only 5%.

I think that must be the lowest rate you can find without going offshore.
gwynj
If you're making the big bucks already, then you can probably live a very nice life here. The low tax rate will be very beneficial. Bulgaria has a flat rate tax of only 10% which applies to both personal income tax (if employed / self-employed) or corporate income tax (if you incorporate a Bulgarian company for 300 euros or so).

I'm not sure about German rates, but I think personal income tax is income-related rising to 45%.

Plus, the German social security contributions are significant too (pension, unemployment, health, long term care). According to PWC, this is a big chunk of 40% (roughly 20% from employee, same from employer). The equivalent in Bulgaria is more like 25% (11% employee, 15% employer). I registered here as unemployed and I pay 13 euros a month, which is peanuts (and it gets me free state healthcare, subsidized private healthcare, and a Bulgarian EHIC for use throughout Europe).

But the very low cost of living is very helpful too, and shouldn't be overlooked. The official minimum wage in Bulgaria was recently raised to 360 euros per month. I think Germany just approved 12 euros/hr, which comes in closer to 2k euros. That's a steep differential of around 5:1, so you'd expect living costs to be much lower here.

I'd estimate the cost of living is actually 2 or 3 times higher in a large German city vs. one of the larger Bulgarian cities (Sofia, Plovdiv, Burgas, Varna). But that's aside from property costs, where you'll find new apartments here being sold at 1,300 euros ish per m2... a fraction of the cost in a major German city. Even if you don't want to buy, that cost differencial translates into much higher rents.
Bamboozler

@GB_2_BG hope it's okay to jump in here, but do you have to pay social security contributions on dividend income? Many thanks

Guest7632

@Bamboozler  no they are based on your salary if you have one.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bulgaria

• Giving Birth In Bulgaria
    Giving Birth In Bulgaria

If you find yourself pregnant in Bulgaria, you may be wondering if you will have to head home to have your baby. ...

• Education in Bulgaria
    Education in Bulgaria

Educational Structures and Background:

• Leisure in Bulgaria
    Leisure in Bulgaria

Wondering how to keep yourself busy after work and during week-ends? Here is an overview of leisure activities ...

• Opening a bank account in Bulgaria
    Opening a bank account in Bulgaria

Do you wish to open a bank account in Bulgaria? Find out how to proceed in this article.

• Traveling to Bulgaria with your pet
    Traveling to Bulgaria with your pet

Would you like your pet to accompany you during your trip to Bulgaria? Find out how to proceed in this article.

• Accommodation in Plovdiv
    Accommodation in Plovdiv

Plovdiv is a very popular city with expatriates, more particularly with students. Find out how to find ...

• Living in Bulgaria
    Living in Bulgaria

After living in Bulgaria for several years, I look back on the decision to move abroad. At first there was a ...

• Moving to Bulgaria
    Moving to Bulgaria

With rising costs of living, falling house prices, lack of mortgage lending and increasing social and economic ...

All of Bulgaria's guide articles