EP Approved for future employment but current company not relieving me

Hi ,

Can someone please suggest if I need to pay penalty or any amount in this case.

It was long waited oppurtunity for me to move to singapore and finally got an offer from India and Ep approved.

Now when resigning in current company, things became hard that they aren't allowing me to leave and negotiating too much from both client and vendor sides.

I have signed offer letter for the Singapore company in which there is a clause that if I can't join after my ep application then I need to pay 1 month salary which in INR comes around 7 to 8 lakhs and I cant pay that much.

Is it mandatory to pay penalty? What happens if we fail to join after ep approval,  any remark If I apply for future EP? Please advise on the penalty if its mandatory to pay or any way to negotiate with Singapore company please.

Such a clause, about a penalty for not joining after EP issuance, is unusual - but if you agreed to it (by signing the contract), then you have to abide by it!

What does this contract say about terminating it? Maybe there is a possibility to get out of it after a short while or by paying another (possibly lower) penalty)?

If not, you can of course try tonegotiate with them and hope for their (probably very limited) goodwill.

Breaking the contract (by just not showing up) is NOT recommendable: In that case you will probably be banned from ever working in Singapore again - and the company might (although that is unlikely, I think) also pursue the penalty payment internationally.

I am puzzled by your statement that your current employer isn't "allowing you to leave". Why can't you just terminate that contract? Or does it also have unusual clauses that make this difficult? (In that case I would say: Next time better read your contracts properly and only sign if you agree with everything in it!)

@beppi  thanks for your reply. I have signed offer letter not contract. Iam currently working from India and future employment is from Singapore. So does this penalty clause is still applies?

@siva34356 I assume this "offer letter" counts as a contract. Does it specify all the things relevant for employment, incl. the topics in your initial post? If you signed it, you have to abide by it!

Thank you for your reply..

@siva34356 my IP where