Money & Happiness

Can money buy happiness?

Harvard Professor Arthur C. Brooks examines this question in his New York Times column this week.

The bottom lines...

1.  Happiness levels off when someone gets to the earning level of about  USD 92,000 a year .. as that's when money seems to solve the problems one has had associated with previous lack of money.

2.  Money can buy happiness if it's used to have experiences, especially with friends and family .. and-or to give the money away to loved ones.  These purposed uses of money reliably raise one's experience of happiness, Brooks writes.

Source... nytimes.com op-eds

Money while not being everything in life...brings a lot of things to your life

Surveys have shown that happiness (on average) does not depend on the absolute amount of money or wealth someone owns, but on the relative financial position one has, compared to the surrounding society - meaning if you have more than the others, e.g. in a generally poor place, you are happier than with the same amount in a rich place where you are the underdog.
My interpretation of this: Happiness depends not on wealth, but on the absence of envy.
This confirms my observation in real life, that usually those people are unhappy who are status-conscious and compare themselves with others (as you can always find someone who has more).
I am happy with what I have and prefer it that way.

More from the Times column by Professor Brooks:

"The key factor [in achieving greater happiness] is other people.

"If you buy an experience, whether it be a vacation or simply a dinner out, you can raise your happiness if you share it with someone you love.  Friends and family are two key ingredients in well being, and fun experiences with these people give us sweet memories we can treasure for the rest of our lives -- unlike the designer shoes that will wear out or go out of style."

-- From the nytimes.com column How to Buy Happiness: 
        The Joys of Money Are Nothing Without Other People

I would add the concept of:

money and time

as a balance equation in life.

Also... if what you do to get money it is something you like/enjoy
it will add on the time you spend doing it....

Obviously, money helps a lot when it comes to creating a healthy and happy environment around you.

Meet other expats and join the events

OR