Disney Plus vs Netflix: which streaming service is best?

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/DNxx2ASnETzV8H52HJSQHb.jpg

I am thinking of cancelling my Netflix, the quality of programs and films on Disney+ is much better. Does anyone else feel the same?

None of the above.
The third alternative is scrap the lot because they are overpriced and full of rubbish repeats.

I did

We have both; Netflix is the Premium account, which allows all of us to use the same login across the whole family - so cost-effective.  Disney, we have 2 accounts, that gives us the same family spread; we use Disney for the grandkids during the day and for some films.  Netflix we use to fill in the holes.  Don't watch BBC or ITV at all.

For language learners or if you like variety, Netflix is the obvious choice.
For fans of US pop culture, Disney+ is the obvious choice.

I'm not a fan of either one really, but I'll sign up periodically to catch up on shows I've missed. To me it's not worth it to maintain either one over time but it's nice to pop in and have some new things to watch. I just get tired of cycling through the same programs I've already seen time and again.

Quite a few good new series are coming to Netflix, but still, like Disney+ for the documentaries and some programs come on there once and while.

02/12/22

We have both, and I'm beginning to wonder why.  We never seem to have time to watch anything.  We read books -- how retro is THAT?  :lol:

Same here, I get tired of the constant cycling through old stuff, and up to 90% of the new uploads just aren't for me. However, since I have no TV, I usually have a subscription to one of three services  (Netflix, Disney, Amazon) running, and switch to another after 1-2 months. But it still surprises me how little they change during a few months of ‘absence'.

Eruptile wrote:

I'm not a fan of either one really, but I'll sign up periodically to catch up on shows I've missed. To me it's not worth it to maintain either one over time but it's nice to pop in and have some new things to watch. I just get tired of cycling through the same programs I've already seen time and again.

Mr. Market doesn't like either of these streaming services.

As you've probably read, seen or heard .. Netflix lost customers big time in the recent quarter.  Its fall in the stock market began months before its poor earnings report came out last week.  NFLX stock has fallen from $691 per share to 209 during early 2022 -- a shocking drawdown!

Disney stockholders have been hit hard too. Swooning from a peak of $197 in late '21 .. DIS shares are now priced at $124.

The New York Magazine site nymag.com has just posted an article about the decline of Netflix, the reasons behind it (including too few hit films being shown) .. and the challenges facing the major streamers due to too much competition!

cccmedia

cccmedia
Mr. Market doesn't like either of these streaming services.

As you've probably read, seen or heard .. Netflix lost customers big time in the recent quarter.  Its fall in the stock market began months before its poor earnings report came out last week.  NFLX stock has fallen from $691 per share to 209 during early 2022 -- a shocking drawdown!

Disney stockholders have been hit hard too. Swooning from a peak of $197 in late '21 .. DIS shares are now priced at $124.

The New York Magazine site nymag.com has just posted an article about the decline of Netflix, the reasons behind it (including too few hit films being shown) .. and the challenges facing the major streamers due to too much competition!

cccmedia

cccmedia
- @cccmedia

This is down to Russia and people are coming out of lockdown, so are out and about. There are other streaming services as well. Apple TV, CANAL+ so are all sharing the market.
I don't have a TV (never owned one in my life).

Same here, I get tired of the constant cycling through old stuff, and up to 90% of the new uploads just aren't for me. However, since I have no TV, I usually have a subscription to one of three services  (Netflix, Disney, Amazon) running, and switch to another after 1-2 months. But it still surprises me how little they change during a few months of ‘absence'.

Do you find that they offer you a better deal to "come back" after you've left a streaming service for a while? I haven't had anything recently, but I remember Netflix emailing me some good deals after I terminated the service last time. If they still do that, it might be a good idea to switch it up once in a while and see what type of deals they'll offer.
I don't have a TV (never owned one in my life).
- @beppi

Can watch them on a tablet or computer

Do you find that they offer you a better deal to "come back" after you've left a streaming service for a while? I haven't had anything recently, but I remember Netflix emailing me some good deals after I terminated the service last time. If they still do that, it might be a good idea to switch it up once in a while and see what type of deals they'll offer.
- @flemwill

No idea, our Netflix is included with our TV package.
     I no longer use satellite dish subscription since Nov. 2013 and do not have a Disney or Netflix subscription through internet. What I have done is use the money that I was spending on the dish subscription to purchase a lot of dvd's and upgrade my internet connection from 75gb a month to unlimited.

Then I started going through Youtube to find more videos that I am having a problem finding on dvd because it is not popular enough. I managed to download 8 tv series that way. Some movies are about 5 minutes shy of the original time length, but I can live with that since if I want to nitpick, I can make note of the details of the movie and find a business that sells dvds of the old movies and buy the full movie. After all this time, I do not really miss watching the tv because of the downloads and the dvds. I stream at least 3 English speaking news broadcasts to keep up with some headline news. By not having subscriptions, i am not dictated to when I can watch what I like and put up with advertisements. With the downloads and the dvd's I can make up my own schedule to fit my mood at the time without being inundated with advertisements. Also, I am not a sports fan, so that is something has no hold here.

I have not used Disney Plus, but I am satisfied with using Netflix

@SimCityAT Yes agreed with you, I have cancelled my Netflix and switched to Disney +. which is much better.

The best on-demand streaming service is Netflix because it houses over 5,000 on-demand titles and creates new Originals often.

I just watched the Wednesday tv series with my kids on Netflix, which was pretty good, especially if you are a teenager, which of course I'm not.  We've only ever subscribed to Disney +, not because it seems better, but because a local service provider sells a version in a package for almost nothing here in Thailand, something like $20 per year.  An aunt visiting let my son use her Netflix account so we could see that program, but I'm not going to try to catch up on movies or series there.

It's a bit sad how hit and miss the Disney + original series are.  I tend to get caught up in watching them anyway, since I'm really into the Star Wars / Marvel themes, but the tv show versions fall really short of the movies, which also haven't been nearly as good in the last few years as in the past.  I have one more episode to watch in Willow, and it will be good to be done with that.  Andor (a Star Wars series) was pretty good, but Obi Wan and the second Mandalorian series wasn't, and for Marvel the She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel series were both just awful.

All the same if someone is into those sorts of movies and subscribed for a limited time period catching up on movies might work out.  It's funny how many other movies there are on Disney + I don't want to see, a really broad range, that mostly seem to have that one thing in common.

NFL, MLB and NBA.

For fans of USA sports, each of the major

professional leagues offers an

English-language programing option for

which you can buy a full-season 'ticket'

or just subscribe at a lower price for

the postseason(s).

Here in South America, the pricing is

often more 'economico' than if you were

buying a season pass while in the States.

Optimal use of these sports packages

may or may not require use of a VPN

and choosing which country or city

is best for that particular VPN.

cccmedia in Ecuador

It's funny how many other movies there are on Disney + I don't want to see, a really broad range, that mostly seem to have that one thing in common.
-@bkk tea blog

Okay, I'll bite.

What is that one thing they have in common?

In the USA, if you are into Star Wars and add-ons to old movies, Disney+.  I like Netflix because I like a lot of independent and international movies that won't get picked up elsewhere. Plus I don't like commercials so that's mainly a big feature for me on Netflix. I'm not bothered by them promoting or breaking up movies or shows.

The other option you might look at too is YouTube. They have quite a large range of movies and TV as well as channels for independent movies for free or rent (or get a subscription) I don't watch too much so having more than one subscription for me would be unreasonable.  It can take me a whole month or longer to try to catch up on a regular series on Netflix.

NFL, MLB and NBA.
For fans of USA sports, each of the major
professional leagues offers an
English-language programing option for
which you can buy a full-season 'ticket'
or just subscribe at a lower price for
the postseason(s).

cccmedia in Ecuador
-@cccmedia

You never mentioned which streaming services are available for those sports.  I'm a huge Vikings fan (don't ask why) so when I eventually move, I would like to be able to watch the games.  Are the games broadcast live and are the full slate of games available to select from or are you restricted to only 1 team?  As an NFL fan, this was a significant unknown to address when I become an expat.  Thanks in advance 

I tried Disney Plus and Netflix, but they weren't quite right. Disney Plus is suitable for family shows but not much else. Netflix has lots of stuff, but it's sometimes hard to find great shows.

I switched to Nederlandse iptv. It works better for me. It's cheaper at 15 euros a month, and I got a yearly plan for 99 euros. They have loads of channels, like over 7,000, and tons of movies, over 30,000 in HD and 4K. I can watch it anywhere, which is astonishing when I'm out and about. It also works on all my devices, like my TV and phone.

Live your expat project without any stress thanks to advice from expats

OR