Allianz vs Médis Health Insurance

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of choosing a health insurance plan. I looked at Allianz, Médis and Victoria. Also took at look at Cigna, which offers the most comprehensive coverage but is too pricey. I think we'll end up choosing either Allianz or Médis. Do you use either health insurance? Do you like it? I'd love to hear about your experience. Thank you so much!

We use Médis via Zurich and are for over 7 years quite happy with this choice. I actually thought that Allianz and Zurich were both working with Médis as their health insurance partner in Portugal. In the end it will depend whether the doctors you need/want are working with the insurance you have selected. It is also worthwhile looking at what the insurance does NOT cover.

Overall I would say that the combination of Zurich Médis (the top package) plus NHS are better than most health insurances I had so far.

@lunabelle33

I have been using Medis since Feb and am very pleased. 

jus my 2 cents

@lunabelle33

I looked at both quite closely. My observations were that Allianz had better coverage available and less restrictions. Also, unless it has changed, Medis had more age limitations. With Allianz,so far we have filed a couple of dental claims and were reimbursed within two weeks. I expect medical claims to be no different.

Medis is cheaper than Allianz but there is a way to get to get Allianz at a discount. If you are interested in pursuing Allianz, the gentleman I dealt with can be reached at the following email:

miguel.salvador@[link moderated]

He does speak English.

Hope this helps.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi we've had a policy with Allianz for four years and find them great. They've always paid out very quickly. When I go to the hospital and present my Allianz card the discount is immediately deducted so I only need to pay the balance. We had our policy through Medal and had a discount as we are members of AFPOP(Association for foreign people of Portugal) It's well worth joining as you get a lot of help, advice and discounts from many other companies as well.

I recommend seeing this YouTube video about the português health systems and insurance  youtu.be/9WNx3h3IOnM

This is extremely helpful.

Thank you!

@carolynivory1031 kindly advise which plan in medis you have selected per month or year and it's covers dental? discount promptly deducted ?

With interest I am reading that some have had an Allianz insurance in PT. I have a pvt health plan in Germany with the Alliance, but the cost is horrendous, and I pay the mandatory "government care" fee of close on 100€ a month. Since I will be relocating to PT next year for hopefully the future (64 now) and have no intention of returning to Germany, I wonder how the Alliance insurance works long term moving it to an "expat" insurance. From everything I have researched this insurance is only for people that are away from their home country for a a number of years. My partner (USA) and I (DE) intend to be in for the long run.  Thanks for any info you can share with me.

Fortuitous post.

Have you investigated insurance through MGEN Insurance?

I contacted MGEN Insurance this afternoon. But it is 21:00 hours in Lisbon, right now. I'm near Chicago Illinois USA. from what information I have been able to glean from a 1/4 of the World away, minimal coverage for inpatient Healthcare has a premium of €55.33/ month for a retiree like me. Age 66. There is a Annual limit of €30,000 for inpatient costs and €600 annual limit for outpatient clinic care.

I have invited further contact from them and I will post what I learn.

With interest I am reading that some have had an Allianz insurance in PT. I have a pvt health plan in Germany with the Alliance, but the cost is horrendous, and I pay the mandatory "government care" fee of close on 100€ a month. Since I will be relocating to PT next year for hopefully the future (64 now) and have no intention of returning to Germany, I wonder how the Alliance insurance works long term moving it to an "expat" insurance. From everything I have researched this insurance is only for people that are away from their home country for a a number of years. My partner (USA) and I (DE) intend to be in for the long run. Thanks for any info you can share with me.
-@Stellablue26

Hi Stella,

Allianz Portugal insurance (General terms and conditions):

https://www.allianz.pt/content/dam/onem … 2021_1.pdf

You can translate PDF into English using a Doctranslator, such as:

https://www.onlinedoctranslator.com

Only applicants for this insurance can be accepted, who complete the health questionnaire and meet these requirements:

- Are members of the same household;

- Are resident in Portugal;

- Have a NIF (Portuguese tax Number);

- Are within a certain age ranges (see page 17 of the PDF doc)

(...)

Best Regards

@JohnnyPT thank you for your response, I will try to use the doc translator, although I can read a lot of it, the nuances are vague! I am hoping that my 35+ years with the Allianz in Germany will give me a break with Allianz in PT.

@Ricktark1 hello!

MGEN has been recommended to my partner, he is older 70+ with preexisting. US citizen. He would probably opt for the Ideal, but the maths needs to be done whether Essencial would be enough.

I just noticed that Medis does not cover medication including vaccinations. So in case that one needs expensive medicines that are not funded by the SNS, then Medis will not be the right insurance for you. Does anybody know whether this is the same for other insurances available in Portugal.

I just noticed that Medis does not cover medication including vaccinations. So in case that one needs expensive medicines that are not funded by the SNS, then Medis will not be the right insurance for you. Does anybody know whether this is the same for other insurances available in Portugal.
-@nz7521137

Depending on which Vaccinations I am not sure its covered in many countries especially if you are going on say holiday and need one to say cover Maleria. Unless you are working for a company you can claim on work expenses.

-@nz7521137

Depending on which Vaccinations I am not sure its covered in many countries especially if you are going on say holiday and need one to say cover Maleria. Unless you are working for a company you can claim on work expenses.
-@SimCityAT

The SNS vaccination coverage is very very limited (unlike Austria or Germany). However, my question was mainly about prescription medicines, which are not covered by Medis.

Is any of the program offer monthly enrollment or there are minimum months required?

Is any of the program offer monthly enrollment or there are minimum months required?
-@Shahid2

Please explain?

@SimCityAT I believe they are asking if you can go month-to-month payments or have to pay for a set time, i.e., 6 month or 12 months.

-@Shahid2

You sign up for at least a year and the extend by another year and so on. Payments are monthly by direct debit.

While satisfied with Allianz until now, they have just announced what appears to be a 'blanket' increase of 60%. How that is in any way justified is a complete mystery. We all understand the implications of inflation, but, come on Allianz! 60% is gross. At such rates,  they are bound to lose many customers, and so where's the sense in that!

At such rates,  they are bound to lose many customers, and so where's the sense in that!

-@censorslow08

Maybe that is the whole purpose of it. Loose clients that you are not interested in. So far Zurich/Medis has not done what you describe, but leaving might have the risk of not getting in elsewhere at a better rate.

Victoria Simple insurance is very cheap and works great, you pay for full price of consult then you get a 80% refund of the cost up to 50€, if the doctor is part of the Network then you pay only 35€ for cconsult and you get 80% refund of that. to get a refund is just needed to send a copy of invoice through your customer area in the Future Healthcare site.

Hallo JohnnyPT

I've a question:

I m over 70 y and, after long research, I found finally a person which I like to engage as Nanny / accompanier for me. She is Australian citizen, is qualified educator Lev 4 (highest level), end 59t y old. She is at the moment with me with a tourist visa, here in PT. I give her already a working contract.

So far, I read in the forum that, this kind of jobs, eg educator, are prioritized for the working visa.

What is the way to obtain the working visa? Please advise me.

To avoid the expensive fly to Australia, and there to apply for the working visa, it is possible to apply in Germany for Portugal?

I'm waiting for your feedback,

Regards.

@Ricktark1 Hello what did you learn about Mgen?