Married to Cape Verdean, Visa needed?

Hi,

I am utterly confused at the moment or let's say insecure.

I am married to a Cape Verdean national, I am European and our marriage took place in Santiago.

We are living together in Europe and now I am planning to come to Cabo Verde for 7 months with the cats. My husband won't come with us, he will stay back due to work.

Now I have read through multiple CV embassy websites from multiple countries and they all mention, that I don't have to pay airport tax as a married partner, nor do I need a visa, because we are married.

What they don't specify is, if I can stay however long I want without the visa.

I talked to the Embassy in Germany, but they didn't give me a clear answer, by stating: "I don't need a visa due to my marriage, but if I do, I can still request it in CV. "

So I emailed the Embassy in Portugal, in hopes to get a written and clear response. They don't answer my e-mail at all, although I have written it in Portuguese.

Did anyone here travel without their CV partner and stayed for longer?

Remembering my last travel, they already made a big fuzz and tried to charge me airport tax, when it is clearly stated, I don't need to. It took one hour of discussing, before they let me pass. However, the last time I only stayed for 3 weeks, so I didn't need to adhere to visa regulations.

Considering a visa is a more serious topic, I am sure they are going to deny me or overcharge me, if I don't have clear written proof, that I am exempt.

Has anyone a clear answer on that or knows, where I can find it legally written down somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

@TashaMar

Hi Tasha,

From my experience, (I'm full Cape Verdean American and my husband is American) we had to apply for CV citizenship in order to not pay the airport tax and to stay in CV for 4 months. So in your case, if you're planning to stay in CV for a long period of time, apply for CV citizenship so that you don't run into issues. If you're married to a Cape Verdean and apply for citizenship, it's just paperwork you'll need fill out (and fees to pay, no exams), but once it's processed  (you will however need your birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc) and then you'll get granted citizenship.

For us, we had to apply at the CV consulate in Quincy, Ma, USA. However,  in order to obtain dual citizenship, it took about 6 months to get it. I also did this for my kids and now we all can stay as long as we like in CV without a visa, etc. In my case, although both my parents were born in CV and have US citizenship, they can easily stay as long as like they like in CV because their birth place says CV. However, for me, I had to apply in the US for my citizenship because my birthplace says USA. So after applying for the CV citizenship, I was able to then easily apply for my husband then my kids.. and then apply for their CV passports so that they all can freely spend part of the year in CV and the other part in America. We also bring our two dogs with us when we go and don't run into any issues. But in your case, it sounds like the best thing to do is to apply for dual citizenship next and then you'll be all set or you'll run into paying airport tax fees and  money for overstaying.

Hope that helps!

Hi,
I am utterly confused at the moment or let's say insecure.
I am married to a Cape Verdean national, I am European and our marriage took place in Santiago.
We are living together in Europe and now I am planning to come to Cabo Verde for 7 months with the cats. My husband won't come with us, he will stay back due to work.
Now I have read through multiple CV embassy websites from multiple countries and they all mention, that I don't have to pay airport tax as a married partner, nor do I need a visa, because we are married.
What they don't specify is, if I can stay however long I want without the visa.
I talked to the Embassy in Germany, but they didn't give me a clear answer, by stating: "I don't need a visa due to my marriage, but if I do, I can still request it in CV. "
So I emailed the Embassy in Portugal, in hopes to get a written and clear response. They don't answer my e-mail at all, although I have written it in Portuguese.
Did anyone here travel without their CV partner and stayed for longer?

Remembering my last travel, they already made a big fuzz and tried to charge me airport tax, when it is clearly stated, I don't need to. It took one hour of discussing, before they let me pass. However, the last time I only stayed for 3 weeks, so I didn't need to adhere to visa regulations.
Considering a visa is a more serious topic, I am sure they are going to deny me or overcharge me, if I don't have clear written proof, that I am exempt.

Has anyone a clear answer on that or knows, where I can find it legally written down somewhere?

Thanks in advance.
-@TashaMar

Hi Tasha,

Being married to a Cape Verdean citizen does NOT give you the right to stay in Cape Verde as long as you wish. Only citizens have this right. If you wish to have the rights of citizenship, then you must apply for citizenship at the Cartório in Praia. You'll need to submit your birth certificate, your husband's birth certificate, your marriage certificate, a police certificate from your country, the CV police certificates and 20.000 escudos.

Everyone pays the airport tax except citizens and residents according to the law. Since you are neither a citizen nor a resident, you are required to pay the airport tax.

As a citizen of Europe, you do not need to pay for a visa to enter Cape Verde, whether or not you are married to a CV citizen. You'll be given a 30-day tourism visa like everyone else who visits. If you wish to stay longer, you can apply for a 90-day tourism visa extension. It costs €25. You can renew it one more time.

If you want to become a resident, you'll need to apply for a residency visa. But it's complicated and takes a long time.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Angelo

@TashaMar

I travelled to Sal 2 weeks ago and they accepted a photo of my marriage certificate I did not pay the airport tax but she said I must bring the original next time.