Getting NHR before it's too late

I was planning to move to Lisbon in 15 months, but I now read the NHR is ending in 2024. There doesn't seem to be much information yet, but does anyone know if it's possible to "squeeze in" now? It doesn't seem like it's been passed through parliament yet.

I'm a French citizen coming from the UK with my family. I am thinking of just going there this month, renting a place, getting the NIF and applying for the NHR before it's too late. Then, figuring out the details of moving my family.

Hi Tim,

This was announced by the PM but has not yet been approved by the parliament, nor is there any idea when it will come into force.Probably in April 2024, but I'm not sure.

I just did my NHR application today. As the regime is still in place l dont e  xp

Apologies, the screen posted too quickly! I was saying that I dont expect to have issues but will post an update on progress with my NHR application

Roz

Hi

I applied yesterday for my NHR and got my acceptance document today from the Portal, so that was quick!

I have however read that anyone who qualifies need to apply and be accepted before 31 Dec 2023.

Roz

@roz66That is correct.  Last date for applications is 31/12/2023.

Thankyou all for your replies.

Could you please share a link? I can't seem to find good references for the end date.

@Tim,

As I mentioned above, this was due to a PM interview.... there is no law, there are no dates, no deadlines. We don't even know when, if, and how, OK? ... Anything else is just speculation.

@JohnnyPT thank you.  I contacted my attorney about the deadline and she said the same thing.  She said it has to go before parliament before it can be finalized

Thank you.

This is very helpful and all makes sense.I posted a follow-up question that I think needed its own thread: Claiming and keeping NHR while tax resident in two countries

I'm new to this forum.  We just received our D7 visa's in the mail today and are scheduled to for Portugal Nov 18th or sooner.  Is there any chanceyou can apply for the NHR without having your SEF meeting yet?  Can you try to accelerate the SEF date to accomodate the end of year deadline??  So much stress and anxiety right now...Thanks

It's not at all clear that the NHR is going away so don't worry too much. Even if it is eventually cancelled, it takes time. I don't think there is any way to accelerate the SEF process anyway;  Portuguese government bureaucracy is not known for its efficiency or flexibility.

I know it's stressful and you can't make plans based on unknowns with any confidence, but trust me, you'll need to get used to a laid back outlook when it comes to government interfacing if you want to live in Portugal.

Thanks Rob...I'm well aware about the laid back lifestyle and I fully embrace it and applaud it.  It's just a tough decision to continue with the dream or abandon it altogether.  We will seek a Portuguese tax attorney to fully simulate what our tax liabilities would be without the NHR before any informed decision can be made.  We need to be entering into this decision with eyes wide open.  We need to ask ourselves how much are we willing to pay for a overall safe and better quality of life.  Sometimes you just can't put a price on happiness.

@bill85lisa,

I don't really understand your stress. Firstly, it is not laid back lifestyle...  SEF is undergoing a complicated restructuring process that is undersized in the face of current demand. If you have the interview in November and everything is correct, you'll receive your residence permit on the same day and then you can apply for the NHR later this year. The end of the NHR won't be until 2024, probably April 2024. But nobody can answer that for you at the moment, not even your lawyer.

There is bureaucracy, but I think expats paint it even worse than it is...

And the other issue is depending on visa etc can you get appoitments etc  - so even if technically you could still apply could they realistically basically block it by dragging their heels over approving visas etc