Menu
Expat.com

Registering as a personal trainer in Brazil

Last activity 01 July 2024 by Chris UK/Scotland

Chris UK/Scotland

I am a British citizen and a registered physiotherapist in the UK.

I am interested in post graduate study in Brazil and would like to work alongside this.

Can anyone help me with the relevant rule?

I'm thinking of working as a personal trainer, I have many years of experience,  in the UK, and multuple qualifications.

Is it possible to pick up part time or freelance work.

What registrations would I need?

Would working as a physiotherapist also be possible?

Thanks

KenAquarius

Hi Chris,

I think you are going to hear this from pretty much everyone who answers.

Trying to find meaningful work in Brazil is very difficult for a foreigner.

First of all you need the correct visa. Can't work without it.

Second, you must speak, read, and write Portuguese as a reasonably high level.

Third, just know there is a basic "rule" in Brazil, and that is they will only hire a foreigner,

if they can't find a suitable Brazilian.

These things are just my observations, but I think they are valid. Someone else might disagree.

I was always told, if you move to Brazil, bring your money with you.

roddiesho

@Chris UK/Scotland, @KenAquarius

I tried real hard but I couldn't say it any better. You have to be in a position to work in Brazil before you really can concern yourself with your specialty. It will take some time to be able to work in Brazil.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

Chris UK/Scotland

Thanks for getting back to me.

Assuming I can get a visa, and my portuguese is adequate would it be possible to work in a self employed capacity?

Does anyone know the specifics of fitness industry registration or qualification requirements?

Would a student Visa allow me to work too?

KenAquarius

Can’t work on a student visa.

Chris UK/Scotland

@KenAquarius

Fair enough.

Thanks.

KenAquarius

You might look into the ”digital nomad“ Visa   

roddiesho

@Chris UK/Scotland I came to Brazil a year and a half ago to live with my Wife etc. Only now, a year and a half later am I in a position to work in Brazil. Pace yourself it will take a long time before you can work here.

On the positive side the weather here is fantastic. While working on it, look around for some place you would like to train. 20 years ago (yes, i have been to Brazil a lot). I used to go to Cocacabana Beach where they did Pull-Ups on the beach. Check out other trainers and where they are and what the most popular exercises are.  My greatest successes have always started by spending time with people who are doing what I want to do, where I wanted to do it.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

abthree

06/29/24 @ChrisUK/Scotland.  Hi, Chris.  @KenAquarius and @rodiesho have cut right to the bottom line for you: 

• It's practically impossible for a foreigner to find a job in Brazil unless s/he is already a legal resident;
  • It's illegal to work for pay in Brazil without a visa that specifically permits that, and then only within the terms of that visa (e.g., the Digital Nomad visa, which requires work over the internet for foreign clients paying outside Brazil);
  • It's illegal to be self-employed in Brazil on a visitor visa.

The only ways to accomplish what you would like to do are to either find a Brazilian employer while you're still in the UK who is willing to sponsor you, or to come to Brazil on one of the few immigrant visas (the visas in the VITEM series) that permit work for pay.  For the first, you might try networking through any professional organizations that you belong to in your field that have reciprocal relationships with similar organizations in Brazil.

For the second, the Brazilian Consulate General in London provides  a good summary of the VITEM visas that are currently available, that you can check to see whether you qualify for any.  You can find that list here:

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consulado- … tart:int=0

Chris UK/Scotland

Ok, thanks everyone.

Studying is my priority and on that visa I can't work.

The digital nomad is a possibility for work as my company can probably arrange that for me.

Can I study and have a digital nomad visa. Can I have both visas or would I need to choose between them? Either study or digital nomad.

abthree

06/30/24    Ok, thanks everyone.
Studying is my priority and on that visa I can't work.
The digital nomad is a possibility for work as my company can probably arrange that for me.

Can I study and have a digital nomad visa. Can I have both visas or would I need to choose between them? Either study or digital nomad.

-@Chris UK/Scotland

As long as you meet the admission requirements of the school of your choice, there's nothing about Digital Nomad status that would prevent you from enrolling as a regular fee-paying student.  You wouldn't need an additional Student Visa.

Chris UK/Scotland

Thank you

Articles to help you in your expat project in Brazil

• The Brazilian labour market
    The Brazilian labour market

In recent years, Brazil suffered through an economic recession and a government austerity program. Still, Brazil ...

• Finding a job in Brazil
    Finding a job in Brazil

It's better to get a job from abroad if you want to work in Brazil. In this article, find useful information to ...

• Invest in Brazil
    Invest in Brazil

With a population of more than 212 million and a growing middle class, Brazil represents many investment ...

• Working in São Paulo
    Working in São Paulo

São Paulo is Brazil's largest economic center by far, with many Brazilian firms headquartered here, as ...

• Working in Curitiba
    Working in Curitiba

Curitiba attracts many foreigners, who come both for work and because Curitiba offers a high standard of living. ...

• Working in Rio de Janeiro
    Working in Rio de Janeiro

Rio de Janeiro is Brazil's largest commercial center after São Paulo. With a diversified economy, it ...

• Working in Fortaleza
    Working in Fortaleza

Fortaleza is the capital city of the northeastern state of Ceará and is Brazil's fifth-largest city ...

• Working in Salvador de Bahia
    Working in Salvador de Bahia

Salvador de Bahia has long been one of Brazil's leading economic centers. The economy today is diversifying, ...

All of Brazil's guide articles