Scooters / motorbikes in Mauritius

Hi all. I'm a 66yo Brit planning to arrive in Mauritius 14 August to continue my application for a 10-year retirement residency permit. Counting the days!!!

My questions relate to the possibility of running a motorbike or scooter (henceforth 'bike') in Mauritius. I haven't ridden one for 40+ years but since Mauritius is a small island I figure a bike might serve my purposes as well as a car, at a much lower cost. My related questions:

• I understand I'll need to do a CBT test in order to ride a 125cc bike. How would I arrange that?
  • am I right in thinking that if the bike isn't above 125cc, I can ride it with 'L' plates indefinitely? Or will I need to take a riding test at some point?
  • Annual tax? Payable at a Post Office?
  • Recommended insurers / roadside collection companies?
  • are there any roads on which the bike can't legally be ridden?. The scooter I have in mind, the Honda Elite 125cc, has a top speed of 50mph.
  • Recommended sellers, or should I buy privately? Inclined to go to the Honda place in Port Louis, which sells the Elite 125cc for Rs 90,000.
  • Any reflections on riding a bike in Mauritus? My estate agent told me the accidents / death numbers on Mauritius are surprisingly high, why might that be?

Thanks!

If you already got a motorbike license then you only need to convert it to a Mauritius license at the Line Barracks Port Louis. No need to do any tests, same for motor vehicle license. If not then 1st convert your vehicle license to Mauritius license, then once you've got that then you can apply for motorbike learners license (Type A1 up to 125cc), this will then be added onto your vehicle license and valid for 4 months. You then need to book a practical driving test online at http://www.govmu.org or http://police.govmu.org or in person at The Line Barracks Port Louis. The driving test is a full day at a cost of Rs500. Annual tax is about Rs1000 and payable at the Deparment of Transport. Any of the insurance companies is good. I can recommend (MUA) Mauritius Union Insurance. Suzuki is well known on the island. EMCAR Motorcycles also got a branch in the north. The Suzuki Bergmann Street 125cc highly recommended at about Rs90000 including insurance for 12 months. It is safe to ride a scooter on the island if one is responsible and cautious.

@tj72 Thanks for the very comprehensive response, really appreciated!

Hi! I am new to this country ..

I am planning to buy a 2 Wheeler..  Not sure whether to go for Motorcycle or a Scooter..

Is there any need in this country to buy a off roader ? Or a normal bike is OK ?

Would like suggestions from you all..

I am looking for a good product which offers good service and parts support and which has lesser maintenance cost ..

Please help me out !

Would be very helpful...

Thank you.