DHL versus FedEx

Maybe someone can help me my job had to send me a computer and they sent it through FedEx which charge me custom fees which was fine. I went to the FedEx office and paid it and they gave me my package. It took a few extra days but I was OK with that. Fast forward to DHL -

my experience with them has been a nightmare first of all they had my package for a week before they reached out and told me that I needed to send a copy of my passport. I sent a copy of my passport. It took them another week to tell me that the picture didn't show my passport number clear enough so I needed to send another one so now I've sent another one and apparently now it's approved through customs and so now they send me a bill. I have to go in there and pay, but I won't get my package at that time. I just have to pay for it and then come back here and wait again for who knows how long for them to deliver the package - I honestly feel like this may be a scam because why should I give you money and I have no idea when or if you will deliver the package ?

thoughts ??

The customs fees and taxes have to be paid before the package will be released to DHL.  This part is normal.  Then it should only be a day or two before you can get it!

@Mark Mclaurin

ok so here is the deal friend. I no longer use DHL in the DR, they are the worst. I could share my horror story with DHL in SD but no point really. Avoid shipping anything to the DR using them, FED-EX Is only slightly better. The best way to bring in electronics is to bring them in your carry on luggage. No matter WHAT you are told , I brought 3 laptops at one time and they made it thru no problem.

Just have them ship it to miami, to a UPS store and fly from DR to miami to go get it. Fly back to DR . Sound like its the hard way. ITS NOT!!

Domex or Bmcargo as forwarders from Miami to the DR seem to be preferred by many expats here.

Every shipment made to the DR can become a nightmare.  Regardless of the shipping company. Different days bring different results for the very same items.  Welcome to the DR.

Best way is to get a firm fixed price quote from a DR door to door shipper. Then at least there are no surprises.

I have used Mailbox Etc for 15 years for all my mail forward from the States and love them no problems at all.

I have used Mailbox Etc for 15 years for all my mail forward from the States and love them no problems at all.

-@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56

For US mail I have used EPS for over 20 years and that works well. 

For packages, I have used several ways and there is always the chance of an issue here and there.

We use Bmcargo and so far so good!!!

@Mark Mclaurin   I've used both, and both gave me headaches.  Since then I've used MBE and Domex. Both have fast reliable service and convenient updates on your package. My top pick has been Domex. They have a good relationship with Amazon, you earn points on every shipment, and they are the embassies designated currier service in the DR for renewal of passports.

I use Mailbox Etc for mail and packages including those needing to pay  taxes and duty. I have had no issues with MBE, Mailbox etc! 

@planner- if that is true then how is it that when they shipped my computer the first time and it was through Federal Express I went to Federal Express and paid the cuatoms fee and my package was already there at the fedex  place- they released it to  me right there at the FedEx office. I didn't have to wait anymore time……

@Mark Mclaurin

From my experience you were lucky. Remember, here in the DR with any agency or company you will be hard to find ANY process consistency from office to office and person to person..it's normal!

You are lucky. I guess they are big enough to risk paying it in advance!