Menu
Expat.com

Viet Vet from U-Tapao

Last activity 24 December 2011 by Lesurs

irishgent

Hello!
My name is jim and i miss thailand. i was there in 1969/70 but have never been back. i have fond memories, in spite of the war, of the people, the geography and the climate. i live in the desert now and it is dry. smile.png my four children are grown and gone, i am retired and my marriage is sour. it is time to move on.

i hope to connect with folks and learn what i can about the provence of chaing mai. mayb i will meet some of you soon.
jim mcdonald
irishgent1947@yahoo.com

Straydog

If you haven't been back since 1970 I would suggest you spend several months in Thailand before you make a permanent move.

Many things have changed in the last 40 years.

irishgent

46 years. Long time gone by fast. That is good advice and I shall probably use it when I make my first trip back. It will be just me; the wife and I are splitsville. My other choice is SW Florida. Been there, too! much longer though. But those are my two options: Florida or Thailand. Chiang Mai edges out Sarasota because of     C of L

irishgent

There is a good chance my trip there  will be sudden and for several months. Instead of throwing a dart at a map it would be better for me if people in the forum "recommend" the city/town/village that would work.  My desire is to rent something bright, sunny and open with two bedrooms and one bath, kitchen, lanai one or two storey building, gardner, housekeeper. My budget for quarters is 300USD/monthly.

I like things focussed on nature and the outdoors. Although I would prefer to live in a quiet little village I will also look at the city; but, a quiet part of it.

Input, please...

Straydog

I have never lived in Chiang Mai but it does seem to offers cheap accommodations.  I suggest you come here for several months and try living in different area's to see which you like best.

I suggest you check towns on the coast going south from Pattaya.  Although I currently do not live there I prefer Pattaya because it offers many of the things Bangkok has but in a small town package.  I currently have plans to relocate there from my place in Bangkok in the next several months.

Lesurs

Hi Jim

I'm 63 and I married a Thai woman ten years ago. Two months ago she told me she found another man and wants a divorce. Right out of the blue.  So I've decided to go back to Thailand.

I lived in Khon Kaen for a year back in 2002. I really liked it and initially thought about just going back; however, why go back when you can go forward. So I plan to move to Chiang Mai in April,  get a serviced apartment and look around for a house to rent. What I can see that's changed in Thailand in the last ten years is that the dollar has dropped from 42 to 30 and there been some inflation of the currency in Thailand. But, so what, change is inevitable.

When I moved to Thailand in 2002 I didn't ship anything, just put it in storage in Seattle. I sort of remember it costing me about $5,000 to buy furnishings in Thailand because the place I rented in Khon Kaen didn't have much, like just beds and mattresses.  So I plan to ship my stuff; will probably just store it in BKK until I figure out what I'm doing. 

It may not be the smartest move, but I've been packing this stuff around for a long time and I don't intend coming back to the US this time. I know it's just STUFF but it will make me feel like I'm home. Some of that Thai furniture, like the wooden sofas, are too uncomfortable for my taste. I know they charge more too if it's furnished and I'd just as soon have my own stuff. I'm getting a 20' container door to door to CM for $5500. I didn't think that was too bad.

I live in the Bradenton/Sarasota area now, been here since 2004. The weather is nice for six months but I don't really have any attachments here and you're right about the cost of living. I picked CM because it may be a little cooler, it's a good sized city, a large ex-pat community, lots of things I'm interested in, yoga, tai chi, massage.  So I'm going for it and if it doesn't agree with me, well I can find someplace else. Udon Thani might be good.

Cheers,
Russell

Articles to help you in your expat project in Chiang Mai

• Working in Chiang Mai
    Working in Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai's ethnic diversity, breathtaking scenery, and the multitude of festivals and attractions ...

• Accommodation in Chiang Mai
    Accommodation in Chiang Mai

More and more digital nomads, teachers, entrepreneurs, retirees, volunteers, and NGO workers are flocking to the ...

• Income tax in Thailand
    Income tax in Thailand

Thailand is not a tax haven. In Thailand, there are two main types of taxpayers — residents and ...

• Working in Pattaya
    Working in Pattaya

Pattaya may not be as idyllic as some of Thailand's other beach destinations. However, it is still one of the ...

• Getting married in Thailand
    Getting married in Thailand

The kingdom of Thailand is a stunningly beautiful wedding destination. Its crystal clear beaches, lush green ...

• Starting a business in Thailand
    Starting a business in Thailand

Thailand is the second-largest economy in Southeast Asia and the 26th-largest economy in the world. It offers many ...

• The healthcare system in Thailand
    The healthcare system in Thailand

Thailand is one of the most visited countries in the world. It is also home to a large number of long-term expats, ...

• Accommodation in Phuket
    Accommodation in Phuket

Phuket is a popular destination for expatriates working or retiring on the island. Its expat community is also ...

All of Chiang Mai's guide articles