Menu
Expat.com

Moving to Chiang Mai

Last activity 28 July 2012 by BaanpongLodge

hrican

My wife and I are in the planning stages for a move to Chiang Mai. She is a Thai/ American Citizen, I am Hawaiian. She has family in Chiang Mai Saraphi, Bangkok and Lopburi., she is a former of Hawaii Child Enforcement agent for Hawaii's Attorney General and now is a Real Estate Salesperson and I am a Adjunct Professor teaching Computer Certification. Obviously we want to retire. So Hello to all if everything goes as planned we should arrive about September.

(Moderated)

ALOHA

GuestPoster307

Take a look in paradise-development.com/holiday.rentals

Had two retired police officers from Honolulu staying one month with us... they loved Chiang Mai.smile.png

hrican

From my visits to CM I really loved the place, I had lived in Bkk, Korat, and  Pattaya, I believe CM suits a 80 year old married 40  years, for a retirement venue, All my Hawaiian friends  agree.

Aloha

Neil-cnx

Aloha Hrican:

I came here from Honolulu full time in 1998 (1350 Ala Moana Blvd). I was a real estate developer and did a little of that here as well. Now I design and build houses for others. Send me an email and we can discuss.

Neil Alper

hrican

Mahalo for the info,however my wife just returned after 30 days visiting the family, she took the trip to decide if she really wanted to return. The answer surprised me, I quess after 40years, being educated, and working as an agent for the Attorney Generals office she has decided that home was not for her, even though they family is well off. I quess after 40 years, she prefers her Line Dancing and social interaction in the mainland and Hawaii. It is hard to leave an environment of recognition to go to another place where she wold be just another Thai older person. C'est la vie.

Neil-cnx

In a way, I understand. I know several Thais who have been educated and worked in the US and have returned to be near family. They do miss the US but their life here is richer having had the experience. I doubt she would be 'just another older Thai', though. From what you tell me, she is a vital person deeply committed and deeply involved in what she believes in. That doesn't change because one stops working. Thailand, in terms of development and maturity, is where the US was after WWII. While that's part of it charms, there is no doubt that the country desperately needs the qualities and experiences she has. I believe she could become involved and make a difference. "Just another older Thai"? I doubt that.

BaanpongLodge

[Moderated: No free advertisement please]

Articles to help you in your expat project in Chiang Mai

• Working in Chiang Mai
    Working in Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai's ethnic diversity, breathtaking scenery, and the multitude of festivals and attractions ...

• Accommodation in Chiang Mai
    Accommodation in Chiang Mai

More and more digital nomads, teachers, entrepreneurs, retirees, volunteers, and NGO workers are flocking to the ...

• Income tax in Thailand
    Income tax in Thailand

Thailand is not a tax haven. In Thailand, there are two main types of taxpayers — residents and ...

• Working in Pattaya
    Working in Pattaya

Pattaya may not be as idyllic as some of Thailand's other beach destinations. However, it is still one of the ...

• Getting married in Thailand
    Getting married in Thailand

The kingdom of Thailand is a stunningly beautiful wedding destination. Its crystal clear beaches, lush green ...

• Starting a business in Thailand
    Starting a business in Thailand

Thailand is the second-largest economy in Southeast Asia and the 26th-largest economy in the world. It offers many ...

• The healthcare system in Thailand
    The healthcare system in Thailand

Thailand is one of the most visited countries in the world. It is also home to a large number of long-term expats, ...

• Accommodation in Phuket
    Accommodation in Phuket

Phuket is a popular destination for expatriates working or retiring on the island. Its expat community is also ...

All of Chiang Mai's guide articles