Menu
Expat.com

Is there a place in the DR for expatriots who are not rich?

Last activity 29 April 2015 by Bob K

carlvelas

i have moved from new york city to santo domingo.  i like the city but it's too crowded and costly and i would never try driving here.  i want to explore other places to live in the dr that are not designed only for rich expatriots.  from what i have picked up so far it looks like the east coast is for people who can afford to have a yacht so it appears that i would be better off looking north.

planner

There are places all over. I am in La Romana, the actual small city.  You can get a  2 or 3 bedroom, nice apartment here for about  8,000RD.  OR a house for about  12,000 to  15,000RD.  I am not talking about Casa de Campo which is very expensive.

Some areas of Samana and las Terrenas are inexpensive still.  I am told Cabrera on the north coast is still inexpensive. 

There are lots and lots of places to look! It always depends what you are wanting out of life.

carlvelas

how is the traffic in the city of la romana?  its the traffic problem thats a killer for me living in the capital. everything else is sort of manageable.
are there malls in the city of la romana?  or department stores?  supermarkets?

planner

We have Jumbo,  Plaza Lama, Iberia and soon La Sirena.... traffic - really only  one small area  during "rush hour".....

Its about  200,000 people, some nice areas, some not as nice.  It all depends what you like.

carlvelas

how close is the city to a beach?  can you ride a bicycle in the street without crashing into motor cyclists going the wrong direction?
i think i should move into la sirena. there is one not too far from where i live in the capital and i am there 4 to 5 days each week.

drtuttle

La Romana may be a good fit for you. Planner can definitely give you good advices... One thing I like about La Romana is that It has it's own Airport, plus it's the middle point between Punta Cana and Santo Domingo airports, also good beaches close by and sunny almost year round.

Good luck with the search.

dominicanfun

what do you mean "not for rich" ?

you can live everywhere in DR with 1,000 $/  month or less. even in Bavaro, east coast. OR in Santo Domingo. I see no problem in that.

as for the traffic - usually the biggest cities are worst when it regards traffic, so Santo Domingo and Santiago are worst

carlvelas

thanks. i will look into it especially since the planner confirmed there are different income level people living in la romana.  i like also the part about the airport.

Bob K

What about outside of Jarabacoa.  Beautiful mountain area. Lots of folks about. Good mix Locals and Expats with a few tourists and about 40 min form the Santiago airport.

Bob K

dreamtime

Riding anything, let alone a bicycle is going to be dangerous in most places that have cars. Everyone is going one way although each person has their own idea of which way that is on the same road others are on smile.png Driving anything on a road is not normal driving. It's a video game and your in it smile.png

There are plenty of smaller city choices in the DR. You have to go on a road trip and check them all out. I'm about to hit the road North within a week to see a few areas.

I don't particularly care much for La Sirena. Whatever they carry is like junk. HDMI cables, towels, clothing, cookware, all food products in jars and cans. Sweets, desserts, it's just all garbage.  Their food court is not bad if you like that kind of food. It really is like a Walmart. I realize that's a step up in shopping options for locals. I'd rather ship in everything I like from the US than shop at La Sirena.

They do have an item here and there that's imported I can't find elsewhere but it's like looking for a Diamond in the rough. I'd rather buy from local colmado's.

Bob K

la Sirena is ok for stocking up on can goods, and the one imported meat we buy. Otherwise veggies, produce, fish and everything else is off a truck or from a street vendor.

Bob K

planner

Each and every store here has its strengths and its market. La Sirena is good for staples and a few things.  Jumbo is a step up from there with additional imported items.

Nacional is my favorite -  lots of quality items,  lots of imported items but MORE expensive for just about everything.

Plaza Lama -  well there is a giant junk pile in some cases. BUT best place to buy KDK ceiling fans - which of course are the ONLY fans to buy here. They are plain ugly but work better then any other ceiling fan......  they move air!!!!  In fact I am buying 4 more next week for the new house.....

There are also local choices to check out.  Many cater to the local community - not many expats - don't expect imported items.  Lots of expats - expect imported at a price.....

Want to get the best prices?  Do what the locals do, shop where they shop.

Bob K

I am a big fan of KDK fans (pun intended).  They move an amazing amount of air.

Bob K

Articles to help you in your expat project in Dominican Republic

All of the Dominican Republic's guide articles