Menu
Expat.com

Need a job and don't have a work visa ...

Last activity 15 May 2012 by haggishunter

nereid9

Hi, all.

I'm trying to move to Edinburgh from NYC and I was wondering if there was any way to get a job if I don't qualify for a work visa. In NYC, it's fairly easy to get a bartending/restaurant job off the books, but I'm not sure if this is a common practice in Edinburgh. I'd be interested in any type of off the books work, although I do have 5+ years of NYC bar experience. I'd also be interested in any advise about loopholes that might exist in order to live and work in Scotland.

Thanks so much!

colinsmum

I am posting because I do not want you to think Scottish people are being deliberately unhelpful.

I think the lack of replies are due to your request.

Scotland, like the rest of the UK, has experienced a massive increase in population since we joined the EEC some years ago.  For every job, there are about 50 people chasing it, and many young Scottish people have never had a real job since leaving school. 

Even my own lads had to move abroad just to find work rather than face a life on unemployment benefit.  And most employers would not risk employing someone without a work permit due to the high penalties if they are caught.  It is much easier to employ someone legally for very low wages. One of my sons returned to Edinburgh a few months ago, and despite his qualifications and experience, is finding it very difficult to get work.  What work there is is being offered at a salary he was earning 12 years ago.

So I would re-think coming to the UK without a work permit.  It is very different from anywhere in America, and you would struggle to survive.  Basically, if you can't move here legally, don't come.  sorry.

ladyliberty

To echo what colinsmum said, what you are looking to do is illegal and can get you into some serious trouble with UK immigration and ruin any chances of you ever legally moving to the UK.

There are no loopholes, working "off the books" is illegal and one of the things that gives many immigrants a bad reputation.  Its bad for every expat to see people looking for a way around the system, IMO.

mehdi0472

hi, everybody..i need your help:
i'm an algerian citizen with a magister degree in american civilization. besides english, which i've been teaching for 17 years now, i master french and arabic, and some spanish. i've heard scotland is becoming an eldorado for emigrants. yet, applicants for jobs there should have a work permit provided by a national recruiter who, according to the law, should send it so that the applicant gets their visa. therefore, if any recruiter is interested, i'll be glad to hear from them very soon.
thanks a lot for reading me.

haggishunter

nereid9 if any employer is caught employing an illegal worker they can be fined up to £10,000 per worker.
If you are caught you can be deported back to your country and it will then make it a lot harder to get a visa to come back to the uk again.
sorry

Articles to help you in your expat project in Edinburgh

• General visa requirements for Scotland
    General visa requirements for Scotland

Scotland is very open towards expats, even after Brexit. If you're an EU/EFTA citizen, you can travel to Scotland ...

•  Working in Edinburgh
    Working in Edinburgh

More and more foreign professionals are looking to move to Edinburgh for work thanks to its vibrant economy and ...

• Accommodation in Edinburgh
    Accommodation in Edinburgh

When you first move to Edinburgh, you will likely need rented accommodation. From a room in a shared property to a ...

• The work culture in Edinburgh
    The work culture in Edinburgh

If you've decided to move to Edinburgh for work then you're in luck: you can expect pleasant surroundings, ...

• Buying property in Edinburgh
    Buying property in Edinburgh

Edinburgh is the most expensive city to buy a house in Scotland. There is currently a huge demand for ...

• Edinburgh's labour market
    Edinburgh's labour market

One of the most popular destinations in Europe, Edinburgh has not only a rich cultural heritage but also a vibrant ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Edinburgh
    Popular neighbourhoods in Edinburgh

Edinburgh is a city of contrasts. From the old cobbled streets to stunning modern architecture, and the bustle of ...

• Studying in Edinburgh 
    Studying in Edinburgh 

Edinburgh is the quirky capital city of Scotland. It is a historic city, famous for internationally renowned ...

All of Edinburgh's guide articles