Menu
Expat.com

How to save money in Thailand

Last activity 29 July 2017 by shansen88576

Priscilla

Hello everyone,

Did you plan your budget before your move to Thailand? If so, how did you go about it?

How do you save money in your day to day life? Do you find there are any areas where you can't cut costs?

Do you have any tips about saving money in Thailand? For example, getting the best deals on accommodation, grocery shopping and dining out, the best value transportation, etc..

Are there any apps or websites that have helped you to save money?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Vate

1. Don't dine at restaurants. Buy food from the street food vendors for 30-60 Baht, compared to eating in a restaurant for 150+ Baht per meal.
2. You can cut on electricity by not switching on your air con too much. Use fan(s).
3. Invest in a 100 Baht bus map available at big bookstores. Busses range from 0-24 Baht per trip, depending on the distance, and aircon availability. Don't always take the BTS or taxi. Know when the rush hours are. Walk more, rely on motorcycle taxis less. I still want to live.
4. Live outside of sukhumvit and sathorn area. (Bangkok). Away from the tourist-y spots.

vindave

stay single

Straydog

You need to first look at the following before considering monthly expenses.

1.  Will you monthly income remain fixed or will it increase as time passes.
2.  What are the historical exchange rates.
3.  Whats your plan for medical treatment should you become seriously ill.
4.  Everything will cost more each year because of inflation.
5.  If your income is fixed will you have enough in 5-10 years.

bill kip

I live in Chiang Mai, so it's not exactly the same as living in Bangkok.

Buying food from street vendors could have adverse consequences. Between sanitation or ingredients used in the street food. Buying food at Thai markets, cooked or fresh, could circumvent that adversity. I personally have no problem cooking my own food at home. Even so some times it is cheaper to buy at Thai modest restaurants. I do eat western, but selectively.

That brings up a basic point. If you want western, you will pay the price. If you eat or buy like a Thai you will get closer to Thai prices. When buying from a Thai vendor (excluding food) you can always ask - is that your best price. 

For westerners initially it is helpful to buy from the large chain stores such as Big C or Tesco Lotus. They have a very large selection of items and are at reasonably competitive prices, especially if you don't speak Thai. Of course one does like they do when they move anywhere - window shop for comparative prices. That also includes opinions. When you want something ask a few Thai's before you make a purchase.

Once you start navigating the landscape there is one more suggestion. Get yourself a Thai friend. I said friend, not necessarily a romantic relationship friend. That friend will help you with a lot of little things that you would not notice on your own. It's not entirely unusual that a westerner is over charged for something especially if they can't read Thai. A Thai "friend" could help you with those little things.

I think that's enough of a dissertation for one day.

Vate
bill kip wrote:

Get yourself a Thai friend. I said friend, not necessarily a romantic relationship friend. That friend will help you with a lot of little things that you would not notice on your own. It's not entirely unusual that a westerner is over charged for something especially if they can't read Thai. A Thai "friend" could help you with those little things.

I think that's enough of a dissertation for one day.

I find it hillarious but also sad how you have to explain the meaning of the word FRIEND. Everywhere in the world, friend means a platonic thing. Only in Thailand do people say "friend", even if they mean romantic or sexual partnership. Ridiculous. What are we, 12 year olds? Every adult should be able to say "I'm looking for a date" when that is what they're looking for, not "I'm looking for friends", when they won't even talk to same sex people. So obvious. This kind of attitude is everywhere in forums and dating sites. Children.

bill kip

I enjoy looking at the variations of cultures throughout the world. I remember a man who had a Korean wife. One day he found her hooking on the side. Her response was that she was trying to contribute to the household budget. They ended up divorced. With my work in Vietnam I learned that virginity was very significant to a marriage. In Thailand sex seems to have a different value then that of the western world. There are many stories about Farrangs and monetary problems with Thai women. To each his own. Childish or not Farrangs should be aware that their values may be different then that of Thai's, Childish or not. We all need to learn before we pull ANY trigger.

Vate

Actually, I'm asian. Thais are actually more open-minded compared to where I came from. That being said, I do believe that a society as "open" as theirs is should be able to say things as they are, and not try to cover up a dog poop with a sheet of tissue paper. Everyone can still SEE that it is poop. Just a metaphor. Especially when someone is an adult.

bill kip

Then you should know to accept differences, without the need to criticize.

bill kip

And you should realize that this and any blog is a learning forum, not a pedestal for anything else.

davehowden

Use websites like LAZADA or BANGGOOD for large ticket items like fridges/ freezers etc.

Book online accommodation on the morning you want to check in, prices are normally reduced as owner realizes they are not going to be full that day, or phone the owner direct as sites like BOOKING.COM charge them a 15% fee, You can often negotiate a 5 to 10% discount, enough for a couple of beers. You can get a places phone number by booking online for a date say 3 months in the future, having booked you will see the phone number, then cancel the booking.

Shop at places like Big C after 7:00pm as perishable goods (Yogurt, fruit ...) is often reduced as the sell-by date expires. Also they have reductions at the end of the month because locals salary is all used up.

By a motorbike out of high season (November thru March) as tourist demand falls off.

Ken Wilson

Buy all your fruit & veg from the local market even eggs. Find a good street food vender and eat there if you do not want to cook out. Do not use the air con for more than 1 hour per day. Rather use fans. Keep away from shopping malls. Treat yourself once a week only. There is so much you can do to save money in Thailand especially of you are living here long term. Move to a cheaper province. Phuket is the most expensive.

keith_1

Quit drinking alcohol and eat red meat only sparingly. The stuff in the supermarket is terrible.
A bit drastic, I know but it saves a lot of money.

Sign up for all of the online delivery services (there are many) and get their discounts for first-time use. When you don't order again they will offer more discounts.

Try these tips
https://lifestyletravelkit.com/budget-b … y-thailand

barrytaylor

I live in n rural area and eat what the Thais eat and enjoy it and most food is also healthier than Western Food.Secondly when I moved in I allowed my GF to do the buying for the house improvement etc as she knows everybody in the village and most are family including many of the shopowners.
Now they know me and I pay Thai prices. I only indulge in milk bought at the 7/11
I buy quality tools etc which I know wont break and ensure that when I want to buy something in the village I receive a discount
I enjoy riding bicycle and do not use the car when going to shop in the local village.
I save where I can as I never know what my pension will be with the "wonderful" government in South Africa as it is depreciating against the Baht.
I shop at Makro,Big C etc and look for specials and bargains if there are any.

hwolfskill

Having lived in Thailand for six years and NOT LIVING IN BANGKOK WHICH IS SO EXPENSIVE, my wife shops at the markets at two wats and at the downtown market. I don't shop with her as farangs are always overcharged. My wife knows what to buy for the house and I let her do it. When we shop at Big C or Tesco we try to buy on sale. As a former American, we visit the Villa Market in Hua Hin once a quarter and stock up to last. Also visit Foodland in Mahachi as they carry foods I can eat(Virginia Ham, Braunschweiger, etc) Having recently paid off the six year loan on our car, we now have more money for bills and other expenses.

blackjack2010

eat rice from Tops supermarket
buy beers from 7/11
dont buy a car
rent in a cheap building with 10 other thais in the same room
dont go to farang restaurants or drink in farang pubs
market food
market fruit
drink leo beer

but whats the fun in that eh?

Daryl Lyons

Mr Bill Kip I have noticed over the weeks that you seem to have a lot of advice to give on many subjects.
It is wonderful to come across people who are happy to help others and give sound advice to those not as experienced as you appear to be.
I would thank you for your input if it was accurate, however sad to say that is not the case.
Pattaya is not as dangerous as you claim and street food is generally of a very high quality when you use a little common sense.
I have to agree with Vate. We can save money by buying street food from 30 to 60  Baht
Bill you should take your own advice:
“And you should realize that this and any blog is a learning forum, not a pedestal for anything else”.
Dissertation?  Don’t think so buddy.

bill kip

You must be talking about someone else. To each his own.

canadianlatino

hey every one I am planning to go to Thailand in Feb and are looking for as much information before I go how much would my budget be from like 18 days?

shansen88576

Welcome,
Where are you planning on staying. Are you going to stay in hotel, room,or condos.I know a few cheap but decent condos in pattaya.I  you want any information let me know.

Stuart

bill kip

canadianlatino;

You almost create as many questions as there are answers. Chiang Mai has it's own pleasures. But about mid February is the smoky season. Farmers burn their fields at that time and the winds of the area bring the smoke across Chiang Mai. The smoke is very unpleasant to breath and the sky line is a bit distaction with the smoke. If you're middle aged and here for a short time you might not find the smoke disturbing and be able to enjoy the ambience of the city.

"Up to you".

Terrymedlicott

Sounds like fun to me

arun kumar dubey

Sir,
good morning. I want live in Pataya @ cheap, even in shared room. Plz guide. How much minimum expense can go in a month in boarding/ lodging for a adult?
Wishing to take training n practice as a masseuse. Plz guide if u can.

arun kumar dubey

Dear,
Plz let me know all about for Pataya or suggest any place near beach populated with foreigners.
Regards,
Arun

shansen88576

Many cheap rooms around pattaya but best to find a cheap condo sharing not a good idea. Look for condos not  near beach. I know condo in soi 57 pattaya klang last year only 4000bht a month, basic  but ok tv,a/c bathroom  no Windows near pattaya plaza condos. If you want better try the 9 karot condos just near soi arunotai near big c pattaya klang or the siripatoon condos  pattaya tai rd both around 8000bht a month. Busy beaches are pattaya rd main beach and jomtien beach south pattaya.

Stuart

Articles to help you in your expat project in Thailand

All of Thailand's guide articles