Menu
Expat.com

Moving to the Vratsa/Montana/Kozloduy area

Last activity 16 July 2019 by charliemowood

caromay

Hi, my partner and I are shortly moving to Manastirishte, which is about 45 mins drive away from all three towns, Vratsa, Montana and Kozloduy. We’ve just finalised our house sale and will be moving in as soon as we’ve got a stove fitted. We’re presently renting in Sofia.

We would love to make some contacts with anyone who speaks some English. We’re studying Bulgarian (not much else to do in this snow :-) ), but we’re still way off being able to hold a conversation, and it would be great to be able to chat about stuff. We’re looking for advice about where to get fuel, secondhand furniture, tools, building supplies and stuff for the garden.

Our house is in quite a good state, so we don’t have to do much building work - mostly fitting a kitchen and decorating.

If you live anywhere near, we’d love to hear from you. Best wishes from Caroline and Danny

Paullondoner

Hi Caroline & Danny

Hope your doing well will your move? it looks like we will be neighbours at some point in the future, I have a house near Yakimovo, but have not started the renovation works yet and still living in London, I plan to be in Bulgaria the first week of May to arrange some works.
let me know how your move goes? I wish you well.
Paul

ArletteW

Hey Caroline and Danny!

We've bought a house in Gradeshnitsa, which is about 30 minutes drive north of Vratsa, and about the same amount of driving from your village, as I've just googled it smile.png

We're still in the UK, and not planning to move out there until my two older children have finished high school (so not for another 5 years or so LOL!), but we're planning regular trips out to the house until we can move.

We're heading out there in a couple of weeks actually, bringing the children to show them the house as they've not seen it yet, and having our first stay in it after buying it last October, so we can start getting it up together!  We arrive in Sofia on the 13th then we're having a night in a hotel before travelling up to the house on the 14th, then we stay there until the 20th then heading back to Sofia about lunch time for another night in a hotel before flying back to the UK on the 21st March.

We'd love to meet up if you'll be available, either in Sofia on the 13th or 20th, or at our house between the 14th March and the 20th March?

We don't have any transport ourselves so we have a taxi booked to transfer us between Sofia and the house, so we're restricted on where we could meet up, but if we can sort something, it would be lovely to meet up with some English speaking 'neighbours' smile.png

Best wishes, Arlette, Ian, Alex, Dom and Benedict!

caromay

Hi Arlette , thanks for your message. We will be happy to come and visit you. We’ll be in Manastirishte by then, so we’ll drive over to your new house some time during that week that you mentioned.
We moved here on Tuesday - it was pretty daunting, I can tell you! The house is not a exactly a building site - it has water, electricity, an indoor bathroom (although the shower tiles need finishing) and quite a lot of furniture, including a king size, brand new bed and mattress. But it was SO cold, after standing empty all winter, and extremely dirty. The kitchen only has a sink, in a broken frame. We have a good camping stove, though, and I brought lots of prepared food. But the cold was terrible - it was nearly impossible to make an impression on the small living room, even with a convector heater up high for hours and a fan heater. So, be prepared for your house to be very cold! We’re going back to Sofia tomorrow for a few days for showers and laundry, but when we come back on Wednesday, it’ll be for good, although we have the rented Sofia house until mid-May. My email address is caromay55@hotmail.co.uk - you can keep in touch on that. Best wishes, Caroline

caromay

Hi Paul, thank you for your message. We moved in on Tuesday - it was pretty daunting, I can tell you! The house is not a exactly a building site - it has water, electricity, an indoor bathroom (although the shower tiles need finishing) and quite a lot of furniture, including a king size, brand new bed and mattress. But it was SO cold, after standing empty all winter, and extremely dirty. The kitchen only has a sink, in a broken frame. We have a good camping stove, though, and I brought lots of prepared food. But the cold was terrible - it was nearly impossible to make an impression on the small living room, even with a convector heater up high for hours and a fan heater. We’re going back to Sofia tomorrow for a few days for showers and laundry, but when we come back on Wednesday, it’ll be for good. Let us know how your plans go.  Best wishes, Caroline

charliemowood

Hi folks, I know this a bit of old topic. But I found it on a search for Vratsa and expat. Thanks Uncle Google!

Any recommendations for quiet area with nice landscape? I am bit worried about villages in winter, with them maybe burning wood ect, I have a bit weak lungs. So I was thinking of may be buying lands and a building a modest house.

Feel free to message me if you have some advice smile.png

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bulgaria

• Moving to Bulgaria
    Moving to Bulgaria

Relocation will be an important part of your expatriation project to Bulgaria. Here are some guidelines to help ...

• Giving Birth In Bulgaria
    Giving Birth In Bulgaria

If you find yourself pregnant in Bulgaria, you may be wondering if you will have to head home to have your baby. ...

• Education in Bulgaria
    Education in Bulgaria

Educational Structures and Background:

• Leisure in Bulgaria
    Leisure in Bulgaria

Wondering how to keep yourself busy after work and during week-ends? Here is an overview of leisure activities ...

• Opening a bank account in Bulgaria
    Opening a bank account in Bulgaria

Do you wish to open a bank account in Bulgaria? Find out how to proceed in this article.

• Traveling to Bulgaria with your pet
    Traveling to Bulgaria with your pet

Would you like your pet to accompany you during your trip to Bulgaria? Find out how to proceed in this article.

• Accommodation in Plovdiv
    Accommodation in Plovdiv

Plovdiv is a very popular city with expatriates, more particularly with students. Find out how to find ...

• Living in Bulgaria
    Living in Bulgaria

After living in Bulgaria for several years, I look back on the decision to move abroad. At first there was a ...

All of Bulgaria's guide articles